The very mention of Chiggers may send shivers down the spine for many people. Chiggers are those tiny little red monsters, which are actually mites that belong to the spider family. They love sucking human blood, which is their staple diet. Chiggers are found in hordes in the garden, thick woods, amongst succulent grass fields, and weeds growing in the wild. They fix themselves on the body, with armpits, ankles, knees, waist and groin being their favorite haunts. The bites can be stinging and irritating and cause severe itching. There are several quick home remedies for Chiggers that give instant relief.
Causes and Symptoms of Chiggers
Causes: Chigger bites leave an enzyme in the blood of the victim, causing itching, blisters and redness
Symptoms: Itching, redness, formation of blisters, hives or rashes
While Chigger bites are not very serious they can cause a lot of irritation and discomfort. There are some quick home remedies for Chiggers that give almost instant relief, and here is the list,
Natural Home Remedies for Chigger Bites
10: Aloe Vera Gel
- Take two thick leaves of Aloe Vera
- Shave off the thorny spikes on either side
- Remove the skin on the rounded side
- Scrape the colorless gel into a clean bowl
- Apply the gel on the affected parts
- Let it sit for a couple of hours
- Repeat the process twice daily for 3 to 4 days
Aloe Vera is an amazing herb that has some great medicinal benefits. Apart from being an excellent antioxidant, it is also a very effective anti-inflammatory agent. Applying Aloe Vera gel on the Chigger bites has a soothing effect and helps get relief from the irritation and itching. It also acts as an antiseptic agent and helps with the healing process. Aloe Vera gel is one of the best home remedies for Chiggers.
Aloe V era is a safe herb that does not cause any side effects. It is a skin friendly natural herb that is great for the skin and hair.
9. Olive Oil
- Take two to three tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- Wash the Chigger bitten portion and dab dry
- Apply the virgin olive oil using a surgical cotton ball
- Allow it to sit for a couple of hours
- Wash with warm water and a mild detergent
- Repeat the process a couple of times daily for 3 to 4 days
Olive oil is loaded with Vitamin E and antioxidants that work wonders on the skin. Moreover, it is also an effective anti-inflammatory agent that helps reduce the hives caused by Chigger bites. The polyphenols, polysterols found in olive oil help protect the skin against infections and keep it safe from the toxic effect of Chigger bites. Olive oil is one of the best home remedies for Chigger bites.
Olive oil does not cause any adverse side effects and is quite safe to use on adults and children alike.
8. Baking Soda Scrub/Soak
- Take two tablespoons of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- Sprinkle some water to make a paste
- Apply the paste on the affected parts
- Allow it to sit for a couple of hours and wash
- Alternatively, add 4 to 5 tablespoons of baking soda to half a bucket of warm water
- Soak the affected parts in the baking soda mixed water for 10 to 15 minutes
- Continue the process until the itching subsides
Baking soda is one of the best remedies for treating Chigger bites. It has a soothing effect and helps to get relief from the irritation and itching caused by Chigger bites. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent and is also an excellent antibacterial agent that helps to hasten the healing process by getting rid of the hives caused by Chigger bites. Applying the paste or soaking in baking soda mixed water give relief from the itching. Baking soda is an excellent and easy home remedy for Chigger bites.
Baking soda does not cause any known side effects. However, if applied on sensitive skin, it may cause a severe burning sensation.
7. Castor Oil
- Take two to three teaspoons of refined castor oil
- Apply it on the affected parts and massage gently
- Allow it to sit for a couple of hours
- Wash with warm water and mild detergent and dab dry
- Continue the process twice daily for a week or so
Castor oil is naturally skin friendly and helps protect the skin from infections. Castor oil has been recommended for delicate facial skin and helps tone it and achieve smooth skin with flawless complexion. It is a natural emollient for dry skin and acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and helps get relief from the itching and pain caused by Chigger bites. It also helps in getting rid of the rashes and hives caused by Chigger bites. Castor oil is one of the best home remedies for Chiggers.
Castor oil does not cause any side effects on the skin and is safe to use. If you use unrefined castor oil, the strong odor may prevent you from going out without washing it off with soap.
6. DIY homemade cream
- Take a teaspoon of powdered sea salt (samudra lavang)
- Take one teaspoon of Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- Take two teaspoons of bentonite clay
- Take a teaspoon of Witch Hazel
- Take a teaspoon of undiluted peppermint essential oil
- Mix all the above ingredients together and sprinkle a bit of water
- Make a fine paste of the above
- Apply on the affected parts
Sea salt is a natural antiseptic agent that helps get rid of the toxic effect of the Chigger bites. Baking soda has a soothing effect and helps get relief from the itching and burning. Bentonite clay also has a soothing effect and helps get relief. Witch Hazel and peppermint essential oil have an anti-inflammatory effect and help reduce the inflammation. Together sea salt, baking soda, bentonite clay, witch hazel and peppermint essential oil make a great homemade cream that is the best home remedy for Chigger bites.
Sea salt, baking soda, bentonite clay, witch hazel or peppermint oil do not have any adverse side effects and are safe to use. Baking soda and sea salt may cause a bit of irritation and a burning sensation on sensitive skin.