Yeast is an infection that is prominently experienced by women. It affects millions of women globally and isn’t life threatening. The infection originates and thrives in the vagina. The fungus that causes this infection is known as Candida albicans (yeast). In this article on home remedies for yeast infections information has been given on the symptoms, causes and simple methods to get relief from discomfort.
Nearly 75% of all adult women have had at least one “yeast infection” in their lifetime.
The vaginal yeast infection is highly contagious and spreads from the affected member to uninfected member via sexual intercourse.
Yeast can be treated easily by several antifungal oral applications. Doctors will often prescribe medicated talcum powder – you can apply in the infected region and you can get rid of the symptoms sooner.
Causes Of Yeast Infections
- If you notice white patches in the mouth, it is caused by a type of yeast called as Thrush.
- If you are experiencing difficulty to swallow food, the chances are you may have Candida esophagitis. It is thrush that affects your esophagus.
Symptoms Of Yeast Infections
Vaginal yeast will project symptoms like itching, burning sensation, discharge of clear viscous fluid and pain while having sexual intercourse.
Home Remedies For Yeast Infection In Vagina
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is effective in combating Candida albicans yeast. The medium chain fatty acids are strong enough to suppress the yeast fungus and to kill the yeast cells. Coconut oil can be applied directly over the infected area or you can include the oil in to your diet.
- Take a pint of coconut oil and warm it sufficiently if the contents are solidified due to lower temperature.
- Using a clean cotton ball, dab the coconut oil gently in the affected region and let it remain for 20 minutes. Repeat the process twice a day and you can see the improved results.
How Does It Work?
Coconut oil is rich in medium-chain saturated fatty acids such as lauric, capric and caprylic acid (having antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal properties).
Not Good If:
- Your metabolism rate is high. Coconut oil has high caloric density. The fat can cause an increase in blood pressure and increase your level of high cholesterol.
- You do not like the odor of coconut oil. It can easily solidify below 24°C (76 °F).
2. Garlic Remedy For Yeast Infection
Garlic has been used for treatment of variety of ailments since ages. It can cure a plethora of illness and has been proved effective due to the anti-fungal and anti-microbial essence that this humble underground stem beholds within itself.
- Take a clove of peeled garlic. You can wrap the garlic in a cheesecloth or gauze.
- Tie the wrapped clove near the infected part with dental floss.
- You can leave the garlic for several hours and then replace with a new one till the infection is cured.
How Does It Work?
The critical component that fights off the fungal infestations is known as allicin. That does not mean the garlic will naturally release this element upon immediate consumption. It is effective only if the garlic clove is crushed. When you crush the garlic, the enzyme alliinase will convert alliin to allicin.
Not Good If:
- If you are using oral contraceptives, stave off the garlic. It is known to reduce the effectiveness of these pills. According to research, birth control pills produce estrogen, and having garlic will intensify the process of breaking down estrogen in the women’s body.
- You are suffering from yeast infection in vaginal area. Directly applying the garlic in the mucous membrane of the vagina can induce burns and is unsafe in most of the conditions. It is advised to not apply the garlic enzyme directly on the infected region. However, if you have yeast infection on the other parts of the body, it is safe to use them directly.
3. Cranberry Juice
It is another acidulous berry that can treat the yeast infection. It qualifies as an excellent antibacterial and antifungal supplement. It can also easily treat a list of other ailments that affect the urinary tract and the bladder.
It is recommended to have unsweetened cranberry juice, because the sugar is known to interfere with the healing process.
- Take four cups fresh or frozen cranberries and one quarts water. Mix them together.
- Crush the berries to release their juices and allow the residue to settle.
- Strain through the mixture with a spoon and discard the berries. The juice is ready.
How Does It Work?
The juice is widely popular for treatment of urinary tract infections (UTI) and vaginal yeast infections. The pH of cranberry juice is from 2.3 to 2.5 (acidic). Thus the juice effectively prevents growth of bacteria and yeast and eliminates the infection.
Not Good, If:
- You are allergic to aspirin. Cranberries contain large amounts of salicylic acid similar to aspirin.
- You have a kidney stone problem. A chemical called oxalate is used for the production of kidney stones by the body. Cranberry juice has large amounts of oxalate chemicals.
- You are taking warfarin. The interaction between the anti-coagulant and cranberry might lead to bleeding and hemorrhage.
- Drinking large volume of cranberry juice can lead to diarrhea.
We have listed only three home remedies for a yeast infection. We will be including more in the following days.
How To Prevent Yeast infections?
- Wear airy clothes and avoid tight fitting fabrics. The perks of wearing breathable dresses are you will avoid creating a favorable environment for the yeast.
- A normal immune system is enough to keep the yeast infection under control. But any cut-downs on sleep and relaxation, not indulging in physical activity or exercise can give rise to yeast infections. In case of a history of diabetes, you have to keep the blood sugar levels under control.
When To See The Doctor;
You should call for medical care if you face the symptoms:
- Getting abdominal pain and have fever high than 101 degree Fahrenheit along with vaginal discharge.
- The symptoms point to pregnancy, but there is a urinary infection.
- Face extreme vaginal itchiness, suffer from pain during sex or urination.
- The symptoms recur after two months even though you have taken antibiotics.