Anorexia, also referred to as Anorexia nervosa is a disorder where the patient feels hungry but abstains from eating for various reasons like not wanting to put on weight, trauma caused during childhood, hormonal imbalances, peer or family pressure etc.However, there are some simple home remedies for anorexia nervosa that can help.
Anorexia is more an obsession that turns into a disorder that needs immediate medical attention. While both men and women can exhibit symptoms of Anorexia, it is women who are prone to being Anorexic. This pathological thinness may start off as a fad and end up as a disorder that needs to be treated. Young women just out of their teens, and who are conscious of their appearance and weight may turn Anorexic.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Genetic factors, social pressures like family pressures or peer pressures, other psychological factors.
- Symptoms: loss of weight with no attributable reason, mood changes, irregular periods, fatigue, weakness etc.
10 Best Home Remedies For Anorexia
People afflicted with Anorexia may be in need of immediate medical help. Although it is not a life-threatening condition, it can be cured as there are several easy home remedies for Anorexia, and here are the 10 best:
10. Blessed Thistle Tea
- Boil 1 teaspoon of dried Blessed Thistle flower powder with a glass of water.
- Steep for 5 minutes. Strain and drink the tea while hot. Continue the process for a week or so.
Blessed Thistle (Silybum marianum), also known as cardus marianus, Mary Thistle and Marian Thistle has been used in folk medicine for curing indigestion and upset stomachs. This anti-cancer herbal flower is native to the Mediterranean region and is rich in the bitter glucoside known as cnicin. It is a bitter digestive medicine and is recommended for chronic cases of Anorexia nervosa as it can stimulate the secretion of bile juices and other gastric juices that induce hunger and build up a healthy appetite. Blessed Thistle is one of the best remedies that answers the tricky question how to treat eating disorders at home”
Blessed Thistle does not cause any major side effects if consumed in moderation. When the consumption is high, it may cause diarrhea, vomiting, stomach upsets, etc. People with stomach ulcers should not consume this remedy.
9. Mint Juice
- Take a bunch of fresh Mint leaves. Wash and extract the juice.
- Add half a cup of water and mix well. Strain and store in the fridge.
- Drink 2-3 teaspoons of this juice in the mornings.
- Continue the process for as long as required.
Mint is a medicinal herb that has very pleasing aroma and is loaded with medicinal properties as well. It is capable of inducing hunger pangs and creating a healthy appetite for food. Consuming mint juice on a regular basis will certainly cure a person suffering from Anorexia. Mint juice is one of the best home remedies for Anorexia.
While Mint leaves do not cause any major side effects they may cause allergic reactions like skin hives. It could also cause nasal congestion, abdominal cramps and diarrhea if consumed in excess.
8. Centaury (Feverwort)
Boil a few dried leaves of Centaury or Feverwort in a glass of water.
- Steep for 10 minutes. Strain and drink the tea while it is hot.
- Continue the process daily for a week or so.
Centaury (Centarium erhthraea) is also referred to as minor Centaury, common centaury or Feverwort and is a herb that has been used as folk medicine to cure wounds, snakebites, and has been applied topically for treating freckles and dark spots. It is recommended to be consumed internally for activating the gastrointestinal system and stimulate a healthy appetite. Centaury is one of the best home remedies for Anorexia.
Centaury has been used as medicine and does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to use. It is safe to be administered for pregnant women and lactating mothers as well.
7. Ginger Tea
- Wash, peel and grate a finger of fresh ginger. Boil a glass of water.
- Add the grated ginger and steep for 10 minutes. Strain and add 1 tsp of honey.
- Drink this ginger tea in the mornings. Continue the process for a few days.
Ginger is an excellent herb that has amazing medicinal properties. Apart from being an effective antiseptic agent, it is a great digestive agent. When consumed on an empty stomach it induces hunger and helps build up a healthy appetite. Consuming ginger tea regularly also helps build up the immune system and works as a stress buster as well. Ginger is one of the best cures for Anorexia.
Ginger does not have any adverse side effects. However, people suffering from peptic ulcer may experience irritation and burning sensation in the stomach and should not drink ginger tea on an empty stomach.
6. Gentian Roots
- Boil 1 teaspoon of Gentian root powder in a glass of water.
- Steep for 10 minutes. Strain and add a teaspoon of honey and drink. Drink this tea daily for a week or so.
Gentian (Gentiana Lutea) is a herb that is native to Europe. The root extract of this herb is very bitter, hence the need to mix honey. Gentian root extract is one of the best remedies to cure poor appetite and the digestion problems caused by Anorexia. The substance known as amarogentin plays a major role in easing digestion problems and helps get relief from the effects of Anorexia. Gentian root extract is one of the best home remedies for Anorexia.
Gentian root extract does not cause any adverse side effects and is quite safe to use. People on medication for hypertension should be cautious as Gentian can lower the blood pressure levels.
5. Green Tea
- Boil 2 teaspoons of green tea dust or leaves in a glass of water.
- Steep for 5 minutes. Strain and drink while hot.
- You may add two drops of fresh lime juice for flavor.
Green tea is an organic health drink that is loaded with antioxidants that do a whole lot of good for the body and help boost the immune system. Apart from helping fight stress, fatigue and anxiety, green tea helps build up a hearty appetite. Green tea is believed to possess the power to prevent cancer. Green tea is one of the best home remedies that give the perfect answer to the question how to cure Anorexia?
4. Horehound Herb
- Boil a few fresh leaves of Horehound in a glass of water.
- Steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain the tea and add a teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this herbal tea daily for a week or 10 days.
Horehound is an amazing medicinal herb that is very bitter to taste. It has been used as a vasodilator, diaphoretic, and diuretic and is very good for getting rid of intestinal parasites as well. It stimulates bile secretion and induces hunger, thus building up a healthy appetite for people suffering from Anorexia. Horehound is one of the best home remedies for Anorexia.
While Horehound does not have any major side effects it is not recommended for pregnant women as it stimulates menstrual flow and could cause an abortion. Moreover, if the dosage is exceeded it could cause cardiac irregularities.
- Get a bottle of therapeutic Alfalfa tincture. Take a glass of warm water.
- Add a few drops of Alfalfa tincture and mix well.
- Drink this mixture daily for a week or so.
Alfalfa (Medicago Sativa) is very high in protein, and is loaded with calcium and other essential minerals. It is also rich in Vitamin B, D, E & Vitamin K. Alfalfa extract has been used for curing poor appetite by physicians right from the 19th century in the U.S. It is very effective and one of the best home remedies for Anorexia.
While Alfalfa may not cause any major side effects, it could cause allergic reactions like itching, rashes as well as shortness of breath. It is better to take this remedy under medical guidance.
2. Fresh Garlic
- Take 3-5 fresh garlic cloves . Wash, peel and crush them.
- Boil a glass of water. Add the crushed garlic and steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add 2 teaspoons of honey. Drink this mixture daily for a couple of weeks.
Garlic is an amazing herb that has been used as part of cooking in many cultures of the world. It is an excellent digestive agent and is has excellent antiseptic properties as well. It is one of the best antiviral agents and an antimicrobial as well and helps stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and create a healthy appetite. Garlic is one of the best home remedies for anorexia.
Garlic is one of the best medicinal herbs that does not have any adverse side effects. However, people with peptic ulcer should abstain from taking this remedy as it can cause burning and irritation in the stomach.
1. Chamomile Tea
- Boil 2 teaspoons of dried Chamomile flower powder in a glass of water.
- Steep for 10 minutes. Strain and drink the tea while it is hot. Continue the process daily for a week or 10 days.
Chamomile tea has similar properties like green tea and has been recommended for boosting the immune system. It is also a great stress buster and helps bring down anxiety levels. It helps one to relax. Chamomile also helps t improve the appetite by stimulating the flow of gastric juices that promote a healthy appetite. Chamomile is one of the best home remedies for Anorexia.
Chamomile does not cause any major side effects. If consumed in excess it may cause drowsiness and nausea or vomiting.
See a doctor immediately if:
- There is unusual loss of weight due to poor appetite.
- The immune system is affected causing frequent bouts of illness.