Whenever there is a small bleeding injury, a group of red blood cells rush to the location and along with other cell components in an attempt to stem the flow by causing the blood to clot. This is the built-in defense mechanism to prevent loss of precious blood.However, blood clots can also occur internally due to obesity or narrow blood vessels caused by plaque deposits.
This sort of blood clot is very dangerous and can cause either a heart attack or a stroke, both having chances of turning fatal. Known as Deep Vein Thrombosis, this condition requires immediate medical assistance and can be given home remedy only as a first aid. There are several such home remedies for blood clots that can help.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Venous thrombosis, plaque deposits in the inner walls of the arteries.
- Symptoms: Pain in the area, swelling & discoloration of the skin region, profuse sweating, feeling discomfort.
10 Home Remedies For Blood Clots That Help
Blood clots that occur at a cut site are harmless and are the result of the defensive mechanism of the body. However, clots deep inside the body like deep vein thromboses are serious and life threatening. There are several home remedies for blood clots, here are the 10 best:
10. Lime Juice & Aloe Vera Poultice
- Take a fresh lemon and cut in two. Squeeze out the juice.
- Take a thick leaf of Aloe Vera. Remove the skin on the rounded side.
- Extract the gel within. Mix the Aloe Vera gel and lemon juice. Apply on the blood clot.
Appling a poultice of Aloe Vera and lime juice on the site of the blood clot helps remove the clot and allow free flow of blood. This is a natural method to remove blood clots that is easy and effective. Lime juice and Aloe Vera gel make one of the best home remedies for blood clots.
Applying a mixture of lime juice and Aloe Vera gel does not cause any side effects and is safe.
9. Alum + Red Soil + Egg White
- Powder a small piece of Alum finely. Take a handful of red soil.
- Break an egg and collect the white. Mix all the three ingredients. Apply on the area of blood clot.
Alum, along with some red soil and egg white mixed together to make a poultice is very effective in curing a blood clot and allowing free flow of blood. The Alum penetrates the skin and helps remove the clot and ensures that blood does not get blocked in the area where the clot has formed. Alum, red soil and egg white together form a great home remedy for blood clot.
Appling a poultice made of Alum, red soil and egg white does not cause any side effects. Alum might cause minor irritation on the skin for some people, which is quite harmless.
8. Gooseberry Juice
- Take 6-8 large Indian gooseberries. Wash and cut to remove the seeds.
- Extract the juice. Mix half a glass of water to the gooseberry juice.
- Drink this juice daily for a week or so.
The Indian gooseberry belongs to the Euphorbiaceae family and has some amazing medicinal properties, and gooseberry juice is considered to be an elixir and magic potion that cures many diseases. It has excellent curative properties thanks to the loads of Vitamin C it contains. It is also rich in iron and detoxifies the blood and prevents it from clotting. Indian Gooseberry is an excellent home remedy for blood clot.
The Indian gooseberry does not have any adverse side effects and is quite safe to consume.
7. Tamarind + Salt + Turmeric Powder
- Mix a small ball of Tamarind with 1 teaspoon of common salt and 1 teaspoon of Turmeric powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle some water to make a paste.
- Apply the paste topically on the blood clot site. Wash off after 45 minutes with warm water.
Tamarind is acidic in nature and salt has antiseptic qualities. Turmeric has curative powers and helps cure the wound that causes the blood to clot internally. All the three ingredients together work on the clot site and help remove the clot and restore normal blood flow. Tamarind, common salt and Turmeric powder together make one of the best home remedies for blood clot.
Applying a poultice made of Tamarind, common salt and Turmeric powder does not cause any side effects. Sal and Turmeric have healing and antiseptic qualities.
- Take a few fresh onions. Make thin slices and add to salads as dressing.
- Use onions as part of everyday cooking. Consume more raw onions daily.
- Continue the process for as long as required.
Onions are one of the best health foods and make part of everyday cooking in most of the cultures of the world. Onion has the power to prevent blood clots and is recommended for heart patients who have blocks in the arteries. It helps in thinning the blood and allows it to flow easily through the vessels. Onions are one of the best home remedies for blood clots.
Onions do not have any adverse side effects. However, eating raw onions leaves the mouth with an unpleasant odor that may not be liked by most people.
5. Quicklime & Jaggery
- Take 1 teaspoon of Quicklime powder and a small piece of Jaggery (powdered). Sprinkle some water and mix the Jaggery powder & quicklime.
- Apply this poultice on the blood clot site. Wash of the poultice after an hour or so.
Quicklime and Jaggery together have the capacity to clear the blood clot occurring inside due to a superficial wound on the skin. However, care must be taken while handling quicklime as it is highly acidic in nature. Care should be taken to prevent quicklime getting into the eyes as it can cause damage. Quicklime and Jaggery together give the best answer to the question how to treat blood clot.
Quicklime is highly acidic in nature and cause injuries on the skin. People with sensitive skin should not use this remedy as it can cause damage. Care should be taken to protect the eyes while using quicklime as it can cause severe damage if it gets into the eyes.
- Take a few pods of fresh garlic. Wash, peel and crush to a paste.
- Mix the crushed garlic in a glass of warm water.
- Drink the mixture daily for a week or so.
Garlic is one of the wonder herbs that has been recommended for treating various maladies in the Ayurvedic system of medication. Apart from being a great digestive agent and a natural antiseptic agent, garlic has excellent blood thinning properties. It is recommended to be included in the diet of heart patients who have developed blocks in their arteries. Garlic is one of the best home remedies for blood clots.
Garlic does not cause any adverse side effects. However, consuming raw garlic leaves an unpleasant odor in the mouth that emits bad breath throughout the day.
3. Paddy + Turmeric Powder
- Take a handful of dried Paddy. Powder the paddy and set aside. Take 2 teaspoons of Turmeric powder.
- Mix the paddy powder and Turmeric powder. Sprinkle some water and make a thin paste.
- Heat the paste until it boils. Apply the paste on the blood clot site. Let it sit for a couple of hours.
- Wash with a mild soap.
Paddy has some medicinal properties, and when mixed with Turmeric powder and applied as a poultice on the blood clot site. Paddy and Turmeric help cure the superficial wound that causes the blood clot, and then penetrates into the skin to heal the blood clot and restores free flow of blood.
Applying paddy and Turmeric powder on the blood clot site does not cause any side effects. Turmeric has healing qualities and is antiseptic in nature.
2. Cinnamon Tea
- Boil 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon powder with a glass of water. Steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add a teaspoon of honey. Drink this Cinnamon tea daily for a week or so.
Cinnamon is a herb that has amazing medicinal properties and is able to maintain the blood flow in a normal manner.
It can help cure blood clots and enhance circulation and restore the blood to its normal state. Cinnamon is one of the best home remedies for blood clots.While cinnamon tea does not have any adverse side effects when consumed in moderation, excess consumption can lead to nausea, vomiting and kidney damage.
1. Spinach Juice
- Get a bunch of fresh spinach leaves. Extract their juice. Add a pinch of black pepper powder.
- Drink this juice regularly. Continue the process for a week or so.
Spinach is one of the healthiest greens that are packed with a lot of goodness. Spinach is very rich in Vitamin K and Coumadin which helps prevent the clotting of blood. The clotting occurs at a lower rate and gives enough time for the blood to be restored to its original state. Spinach is one of the best home remedies for blood clots.
Spinach does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to consume on a daily basis.
See a doctor immediately if:
There is profuse sweating or a feeling of dizziness as this could mean a severe block in the arteries caused by a blood clot, and could lead to a heart attack or stroke. Immediate medical attention is a must in such cases.