Onions have antibacterial and antiseptic properties to assist in fending off any infection. Hence, it is one of the best natural remedies for chest congestion. If you happen to have a mild sinus infection, just inhaling the scents of an onion (freshly chopped) may clear the nasal passages. But, their natural sulfur content can cause a burning and painful sensation in the eyes. If you don’t want this to happen, just slice a thin piece of onion and put it in a container of hot water. Let the onion boil for 5 minutes, ladle a little in a clean mug, and then inhale the aroma to relieve a runny or stuffy nose. However, there is another way too; here are the instructions:
- Step 1: Cut an onion into small pieces and extract juice from them. The other ingredients to be used are equal proportions of honey, lemon juice, and water.
- Step 2: Combine all the proportions to make a mixture.
- Step 3: Heat the mixture and make it warm. You can have the mixture every day for relief.
How Does This Work?
Since onion contains organosulfur compounds (strong smell), they possess sulfur and quercetin. These two compounds possess the ability to break down the mucus and relieve the chest of mucus. Honey contains natural ingredients that can increase the immunity of a person. Lemon juice contains citric acid known for regulating the acid balance of the body.
Onions Are Not Good For, If:
- You have a gastric influx disease problem. Do not follow the procedure if you have faced Heartburn before, while feeding on onions.
- You are on blood-thinning drugs, as onion contains major components of Vitamin K. It can interfere with blood-thinning drugs. The side effects will be similar to honey.
- Persons allergic to onions can have feelings of vomiting, nausea and gastric discomfort (similar side effects in honey and lemon juice).
The next time you suffer from a cough, cold, congestion, or a sore throat, make sure to sip some natural thyme tea. This herb is extremely good for upper respiratory problems, even including whooping cough and bronchitis. It has antibacterial, analgesic, antiviral, antioxidant, anticancer, antitussive, and expectorant properties. For medicinal use, thyme leaves are used. Once they are harvested, thyme is sun-dried, and their leaves are beaten off their branches. As a herb, thyme promotes immunity of the body and chest to fight against bacteria. To treat chest congestion using thyme, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: You can take one-half teaspoon of thyme.
- Step 2: On the other hand, make a cup of boiling water.
- Step 3: Allow the thyme for 20 minutes to become warm.
- Step 4: You can add a little honey to the mixture to make it sweet.
How Does This Work?
The volatile components in thyme (oil) are thymol, geraniol, borneol and also contain flavonoids such as naringenin, apigenin, luteolin, and thymonin. These increase the antioxidant capacity of the herb and give a high number on the immunity enhancing herb list for thyme.
Thyme Is Not Good, If:
- You are allergic to Lamiaceae species or oregano.
- You suffer from bleeding disorders. It might enhance the risk of bleeding if used in large amounts.