The Echinacea herb has been used for various ailments like mumps, sore throat, wounds, measles and infections by Native American tribes. It contains flavonoids, iron, volatile oils, vitamins A, C, E that boost the immunity of an individual to ward off the virus. The herb also enhances the number of white blood cells in the body. For consumption of this herb, you can use its leaves, petals, roots or all of the combination. In the case of root fragments, you should not expose them to sunlight, but they should be kept in an area that is dry and air-tight.
How Does This Work?
Instead of killing the bacteria directly, this herb strengthens your immune system, thereby eliminating the threat. The major fighting component (interferon) not only kills germs but also infiltrate the genetic control center; this process prevents the harmful virus from growing in numbers. Interferon cells are also assisted in producing more of macrophages cells (germ eating cells) – the process is known as phagocytosis. Now, you know why this herb can be used effectively for reducing the symptoms of measles.
Echinacea Is Not Good, If:
- You are suffering from auto-immune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis.
- You can have an allergy.
- You are suffering from atopy.
2. Eucalyptus Oil
Blocked nose, fever, and itchy throat are three common discomforts that come along with cold. All these can be treated by using pure Eucalyptus oil. It has antifungal, antispasmodic, antibacterial, antiseptic, expectorant, and analgesic (pain killing) properties. Apart from treating various ailments, it also improves blood flow, destroys bacterial cells, decongest your airways and expel phlegm. Due to their immune-boosting properties, Eucalyptus oil prevents infections.
There are two ways you can use this remedy:
Option 1: Eucalyptus Oil For Blocked Nose
- Step 1: Pour few drops of natural eucalyptus oil to a vessel containing water.
- Step 2: Allow it to boil for a while.
- Step 3: Take the vessel for the heat.
- Step 4: Inhale the vapors coming from the vessel and exhale through the mouth. Use a towel to cover (so that vapors do not escape). Doing this will reduce the inflammation of the mucosal linings and breathing becomes much easier.
- Step 5: Based on the severity, do this remedy two to three times in a day.
Option 2: Eucalyptus Oil For Easy Breathing During Sleep
When you suffer from cold, you will notice that it becomes harder to breathe. Have you ever wondered why? We will tell you – this is because the mucus collects in your throat and nose, causing breathlessness. At such times, you can follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Take a soft, clean cloth.
- Step 2: Add few drops of eucalyptus on it.
- Step 3: Place this cloth underneath your pillow.
The oil’s aroma will gradually release and help unblock your nose. It lets you have a good night sleep.
How Does This Work?
Eucalyptus oil has a complex mixture of organic compounds, which are categorized into two groups: monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes. It has anti-inflammatory, decongestant, antispasmodic, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties.
Eucalyptus Oil Is Not Good, If:
- You are allergic to strong scents.
Note: Highly toxic if ingested. It is only for topical application. It is not recommended for kids.