1. Terminalia Arjuna Herb
Terminalia is actually a tree. When it comes to medicine, health experts use three different Terminalia species, which include: Terminalia arjuna, Terminalia chebula, and Terminalia bellerica. In Ayurveda, Terminalia arjuna is used for balancing the 3 “humors”: Pitta, Vata, and Kapha. The Terminalia arjuna’s bark is used in India for over 3000 years, mainly for heart-related problems. Besides this, it can cure hypertension (high blood pressure), diarrhea, dysentery, earaches, high cholesterol, urinary tract problems, and STDs (Sexually Transmited Disease). As said above, Arjuna herbs have the ability to reduce the symptoms of diarrhea. Hence, to try a remedy using this herb, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Step 1: Take few fresh Arjuna herb leaves.
- Step 2: Clean the leaves thoroughly with water.
- Step 3: Once cleaned, soak them in water for 1 to 2 hours.
- Step 4: Strain the liquid and consume.
How Does This Work?
In Ayurveda, Arjuna is one of the prescribed herbs to treat cardiovascular health. You will be fascinated in knowing that its bark of has magnesium salts, calcium salts, glucosides, and tannins. It acts as a tonic, astringent, and stimulant. It helps cure diarrhea, dysentery, hemorrhages, skin problems, fractures, and edema. Moreover, it has antimutagenic and antibacterial properties.
Terminalia Arjuna Herb Is Not Good, If:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You are diabetic. The herb can increase the sugar levels.
- You have undergone surgery or going to have one.
How To Prevent Diarrhea?
Here are some quick tips to stay hydrated:
You must select the ideal drink that suits your diet and the condition of your stomach. The drink becomes the best supplement due to the balance of salt and sugar content. It absorbs the water sufficiently. You can improvise the method by adding the salt in apple juice. This will help absorb the water while the taste of apple juice isn’t spoiled. Also, it is better to have the fluids at room temperature rather than consuming cold.
When you are having diarrhea, it is recommended to maintain a shallow diet and have clear fluids for the 24 hours. Then, gradually switch to mildly solid food like the banana, rice, toast, and applesauce, famously known as the BRAT diet. This technique can be noted as one of the best natural remedies for diarrhea both adults as well for children.
- If you do not see signs of symptoms receding beyond few days, check the food that you eat, sometimes you may be oblivious to the aggravating element in your regular food that may irritate your bowel. Here is a list of fiber rich food that may irritate your bowels – brown rice, bran, and whole grain. Also, sweet and greasy food can aggravate the stomach.
- If you still are unsure about the cause of your persistent diarrhea, then try the elimination technique. Suspend using the suspected food for a brief period to determine the source of the problem.
- If you are convinced that there is no significant change in passing motion or diet, then you can eliminate the next food that you are unsure of.
- Remember, eliminating the food is for brief observation and study purpose to pinpoint the cause. It is not a one-time elimination under uncertainty.
- If you are at home, stick to lighter foods like broth and water for keeping your stomach lighter while staying replenished at the same time.
- Do not have milk products. If you are lactose intolerant, then you could easily make the matters worse. During the discomfort, it is mandatory to avoid cheese, milk (but you can have yogurt) for the next two weeks even after the symptoms of diarrhea have made a retreat. The small intestine would have lost its digestive capacity for milk, and so it is best to give a little rest to the vital body part.
- Coffee is the last drink you will want in this period. Large amounts of sugar can enhance diarrhea. Even the sugar in fruits can make the body display similar symptoms. You can also steer clear of high-fiber foods or oily recipes. The gut will face difficulty in handling these type of foods. In fact, the tummy needs gentle foods such as rice, noodles, bananas, toast, potatoes, in the case of non-veg food (skinless white meat chicken).
When To See A Doctor?
Almost all cases of diarrhea get cleared on its own without any treatment. This ailment may cause the body to lose a large amount of salt and water.
It is necessary to see the doctor if you notice any of these symptoms:
- The symptoms continue even after two days.
- Dehydration sets in – the symptoms could be severe thirst, fatigue, dizziness, dark color urine or no urination and dry mouth.
- You suffer from severe rectal or abdominal pain.
- You have black or bloody stools.
- You suffer from chills and have a temperature of 39 degree Celsius.
- In the case of children, if diarrhea is accompanied by fever or vomiting or both, the symptom points to dehydration. The call to the physician should be made within 24 hours at this stage.
- The child did not have a wet diaper for three or more hours.
- Display symptoms of fever (102 degrees Fahrenheit).
- The stools are black or blood red.
- The child’s mouth becomes dry, and when crying, there are no tears
- The child displays symptoms of drowsiness, becomes unresponsive.
Natural Remedy vs. Pharmacy
In many cases, OTC (over the counter) medications are helpful in reducing the first initial stages of diarrhea such as traveler’s diarrhea (which anybody can be infected while consuming contaminated water). Some of the preferred medications are loperamide (Imodium); bismuth sub-salicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate). But the conditions is that they cannot be used for more than two days. For any diarrhea, over the counter remedies will suffice to make you feel better, but the infection could sometimes remain. Usually, the symptoms will recede on its own in few days. If not, you must consult a doctor.