Dog bites are common, especially if you are a pet owner and any dog takes a nip at you. Whether the bite is serious or just a nip, medication and treatment is necessary. The risk is higher if a rabid dog bites you. It can turn fatal if not treated at the right time.
Even dogs that are not rabid can bite viciously, often causing severe wounds, which need quick attention lest the wound is infected. If you know the owner of the dog that bites you, check with him or her if the dog is immunized, if not immediate medical treatment is essential. However, there are several home remedies for dog bites that can help.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Dogs may bite if they are provoked, some may bite even without any provocation.
- Symptoms: Swelling and redness in the bite area, fever, formation of pus, sweats, and chills.
10 Herbal & Home Remedies For Dog Bites
A dog bite cannot be ignored, whether it is a friendly nip or a full-fledged attack by a vicious dog. There are several home remedies for dog bites, here are the ten best:
10. Asafetida Powder
- Wash the bitten area with warm water. Pat dry with a piece of soft cloth.
- Take 2 teaspoons of Asafetida powder. Sprinkle it on the bite wound.
- Cover it with a strip of gauze and surgical tape. Repeat process daily for a week.
Asafetida powder has great antibiotic properties and helps prevent infection from setting in at the dog bite area. It is an excellent carminative and antiviral agent as well as an anticoagulant and prevents blood clots. Asafetida powder is one of the best home remedies for dog bites, and it is very easy to administer as well.
Asafetida is quite harmless and does not have any adverse side effects. However, if the bite is severe, sutures may be required, hence rush the victim to a doctor.
9. Neem + Aloe Vera + Garlic
- Peel an Aloe Vera leaf and collect the gel.
- Crush a bunch of fresh Neem leaves to make a paste.
- Mix Aloe Vera gel & garlic paste. Apply this poultice on the wound.
Neem has some excellent antiseptic properties and has been used to cure several skin afflictions. Aloe Vera gel has a soothing effect on the bite wound and helps reduce the swelling. Garlic is a natural antiviral agent that helps prevent any infections that may be caused by a dog bite. Neem, Aloe Vera, and Garlic together make an excellent home remedy for a dog bite.
Neem, Aloe Vera, and Garlic do not cause any known side effects. Neem is one of the best natural antiseptic agents.
8. Plantain Leaves
- Take a fresh plantain leave and shred it. Crush the shredded plantain leaves.
- Mix it with some bentonite clay and water to make a paste. Apply on the dog bite wound and let it sit for a couple of hours.
- If bentonite is not available, plain plantain leaf paste should suffice. Repeat the process until the wound heals.
Plantain leaves (Plantago major) have natural antibiotic properties in addition to anti-inflammatory properties, making them one of the best remedies for dog bites. Plantain leaves give immediate relief from the itching and pain caused by dog bites. Plantain leaves are one of the best dog bite remedies.
Plantain leaves (poultice) is quite harmless and free from any side effects. For severe bites, do visit your doctor immediately.
7. Cumin Seeds + Black Pepper
- Take 2 teaspoons of ground cumin seeds and 3 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle some water to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the bite wound. Leave it as such.
Cumin seeds have the power to counter the toxic effects of a dog bite. Black pepper is known to possess excellent anti-bacterial properties. Black pepper contains lignans, flavonoids, and alkaloids that help with the healing process. Cumin seeds and black pepper together make an excellent home remedy for a dog bite.
Cumin seeds and black pepper have been used as medicine for treating various illnesses. They do not have any known side effects.
- Mix 15-20 drops of undiluted tincture of Burdock in a glass of warm water.
- Add a teaspoon of pure, organic honey.
- Drink the concoction twice daily for a week.
Burdock is loaded with polyacetylenes which make it an excellent antibacterial and antifungal agent. It aids the kidneys in flushing out toxins found in the bloodstream and helps purify the blood. Burdock is one of the most effective cures that answer the question how to treat dog bites at home?
Burdock does not have any known side effects. However, it is important to use only unadulterated tincture of Burdock, which should be acquired from a reliable source.
5. Mustard Essential Oil
- Apple a few drops of Mustard essential oil on the dog bite wound. Sprinkle some red pepper powder on it. Bandage the wound with a soft cloth.
- Repeat the process for a couple of days.
Mustard essential oil is a natural antifungal and antibacterial agent that helps fight any infections that may be caused by dog bites. Mustard oil contains allyl isothiocyanate, which helps with the healing process. Mustard essential oil is good for treating dog bites at home.
Mustard essential oil does not have any known side effects. It has been recommended for internal consumption for treating various conditions.
4. Walnut & Onion Poultice
- Soak 4-5 walnuts in water. Grind them to a fine paste.
- Crush an onion to make a paste. Mix walnut paste & onion paste.
- Add a pinch of salt. Apply this on the dog bite wound and bandage it.
The mixture of Walnut, onion, and salt is very effective in treating dog bite wounds. This mixture has amazing antiseptic properties as well as anti-inflammatory properties. Salt is a natural disinfectant and helps prevent any infections that may be caused by a dog bite. Walnut, onion, and salt together make an excellent home remedy for a dog bite.
Walnut, onion, and salt do not have any known side effects. This paste is quite safe to use for adults and children alike.
3. Indian Echinacea
- Crush a bunch of fresh Indian Echinacea leaves to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the dog bite wound. Place a gauze & bandage the wound. Repeat the process for 2 to 3 days.
Indian Echinacea (Andrographis paniculata) is a natural herb that has excellent antibiotic and antiviral properties. It helps boost immunity levels and has been used extensively in the Ayurvedic system of medicine. The andrographolides present in this herb belong to the diterpene lactones group. Indian Echinacea is one of the best natural home remedies for dog bites.
There are no known side effects of Indian Echinacea. However, excessive use of this herb can cause infertility problems; pregnant women should not ingest this herb.
2. Manuka Honey
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of pure Manuka Honey.
- Wash the dog bite wound and pat dry. Apply the Manuka Honey and allow it to sit for a couple of hours
- Repeat the process twice a day for a week or so
Manuka honey is a natural antiseptic agent and has anti-inflammatory properties as well. The hydrogen peroxide content found in Manuka honey helps fight any infection that may be caused by a dog bite. Manuka honey is one of the safest home remedies for dog bites.
Manuka honey, like any other natural honey, is free of side effects and is quite safe to use.
1. Goldenseal Extract
- Take a few drops of Goldenseal extract tincture.
- Dab it on some surgical cotton or a piece of cloth.
- Apply it directly on the dog bite wound. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Repeat process twice daily for a week.
Goldenseal tincture is a great natural antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory agent. The compound berberine that is found in Goldenseal helps cure the dog bite wound and prevents any infections. Berberine helps by increasing the count of white blood cells that fight the infection successfully. Goldenseal tincture is one of the best remedies for dog bites.
Goldenseal tincture does not have and side effects and is quite safe to use.