12. Inhaling The Steam
It is an age-old remedy for treating ear pain and other symptoms of cold because steam opens up all the clogged channels and cavities that are swelled due to cold. Besides this, steaming is great for your skin as well. It clears the clogged pores and increases better oxygen flow. It improves blood circulation, pushes all the accumulated dirt, loosens the stubborn whiteheads & blackheads, and eliminates the dead skin cells. So, there are added benefits of steaming apart from treating your ear ache. To apply this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Boil some water and give a duration of five minutes until the steam emanates.
- Step 2: Take a large, clean cloth and spread it over your head to prevent the steam from escaping.
- Step 3: Lean into the bowl. Inhale the steam.
How Does This Work?
The heat from steam assists in opening the Eustachian tubes (airway passage to the throat) and reduces the pressure. This helps in draining the fluids from the ear and gets you free from infection.
Steaming Is Not Good, If:
- You are suffering from breathing problems. After the closure of the cloth around your head, you can suffer difficulty in breathing and dizziness.
- You have asthma and heart problems. You might suffer from a headache.
11. Hot Compress
Shall we call warm water bottle? Well, whatever you name it, hot compress is one of the best ways to get rid of an earache. Not only earache but also any pain or swelling. In fact, from ancient hot baths to the modern day hot stone massages, the existence of heat therapy is there around for years and years. In fact, it is one of the common types of non-invasive, non-addictive, and passive therapies. Clinical researchers claim that heat therapies are the effective ways to alleviate pain and aches. Also, they promote relaxation. To do a hot compress for your ear pain, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Wrap a moist cloth around a hot water bottle.
- Step 2: Apply on the aching ear parts for five minutes.
Note: You can also use a hot water pad for this purpose. This process can give relief only in simple conditions. It can also give temporary relief even in the case of an underlying medical condition. If the pain persists after three days, visit a doctor.
How Does This Work?
Everybody knows that application of heat will enhance the circulation of blood in the affected area.
Hot Compress Is Not Good, If:
- The bottle is very hot. You can end up burning the affected areas.