Emphysema is a chronic pulmonary disorder that is caused when the tissues in the lungs lose their elasticity. Toxic gases and dust may cause Emphysema; tobacco smoke is the prime culprit that cases this disorder in most people who are stricken by this dangerous disease. The cigarette smoke causes the alveoli and the capillaries to get congested resulting in Emphysema.
People suffering from Emphysema often exhibit symptoms like breathlessness and hyperventilation or rapid breathing. According to a study conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics more than 4 million people are afflicted by this disease. Although there are several modern medications available, there are also some effective home remedies for Emphysema that provide relief.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Cigarette smoke, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, genetics, inhaling harmful chemical fumes
- Symptoms: Persistent cough, breathlessness, hyperventilation, asthma, bronchitis, wheezing
Emphysema is caused due to smoking and inhaling other toxic substances. There are several quick home remedies for Emphysema that are effective, and here are the 10 best:
10. Betel leaves + Black Pepper + Honey
- Take four to five fresh Betel leaves. Remove the small stems on one end and wash. Sprinkle some water and crush the leaves to extract the juice.
- Take two to four teaspoons of black pepper. Soak the pepper in the betel leaf juice for a couple of days.
- Extract the pepper and dry it in the sun and powder it. Mix half a teaspoon of this powder in a teaspoon of pure honey. Swallow this mixture twice daily after meals for a week or 10 days.
Betel leaves are loaded with minerals, fiber, and carbohydrates. It is rich in calcium, carotene, riboflavin, thiamine, niacin and Vitamin C. Pepper is an important ingredient in rubefacient applications and contains important curative properties. Betel leaves and pepper along with honey make one of the best natural home remedies for Emphysema.
Betel leaves do not cause any known side effects and have long been used as a digestive that is chewed after a heavy meal in most Asian cultures. Some may find the taste of betel leaves to be pungent and harsh, hence the need to mix with honey.
9. Brassica oleracea + Solanum trilobatum + Mukia maderaspatana leaves
- Take two leaves of Brassica oleracea (wild cabbage). Take a few leaves of Solanum trilobatum. Take a few leaves of Mukia maderaspatana. Wash the leaves and dry them in the sun. Powder all the leaves and store in airtight bottle.
- Mix one teaspoon of this herbal powder in a teaspoon of honey. Consume this mixture daily for a week or 10 days.
Brassica oleracea, also known as wild cabbage is very effective as an anti-cancer agent and is also an effective cardio medicine. The glucosinolates and other metabolites that contain sulphur help in detoxification and removal of toxic substances from the body. Solanum trilobatum, also known as alarka is rich in potassium nitrate, fatty acids, diosgenin, caffeic acid, solasodine, solasonine, solamargine and histamine. Mukia maderaspatana acts as an analgesic and helps relieve pain. Together Brassica oleracea, Solanium trilobatum and Mukia maderaspatana make one of the best natural remedies for Emphysema treatment.
Brassica oleracea, Solanum trilobatum and Mukia maderaspatana do not cause any known side effects and are safe to use in measured quantities.
8. Bael Tree leaves + Black Pepper
- Take two to three fresh Bael Tree leaves. Wash the leaves and add two teaspoons of black pepper. Chew the Bael leaves and pepper raw and swallow on an empty stomach.
- Continue this process daily for a month or so.
Bael tree is considered a divine tree in Asian countries like India. The Bael tree leaves have medicinal properties as they are rich in vitamins and minerals. These leaves contain minerals like calcium, phosphorus, iron, riboflavin, carotene, thiamin, niacin, and Vitamin C. These help in boosting the immune system and give relief from the breathlessness caused by Emphysema. Pepper has rich antibacterial properties and is also a great source of iron, potassium and Vitamin C. Bael leaves and black pepper together make a great natural cure for Emphysema.
Bael tree leaves do not cause any drastic side effects and are safe to use. Black pepper has been used in folk medicine for ages and does not cause any side effects.
7. Justicia Adhatoda + Black Pepper + Ginger
- Take a few fresh leaves of Justicia Adhatoda. Crush the Adhatoda leaves and extract the juice. Take two teaspoons of Black Pepper powder.
- Take a finger of fresh Ginger and extract the juice. Mix all the three juices and swallow one teaspoon daily for a week.
Justicia Adhatoda is a medicinal herb that has been used in the Ayurvedic system of medicine for close to two millennia. The leaves are rich in alkaloids, vasicinone, vasicinolene, and vasicol which help in dilating the bronchi. Black pepper has medicinal benefits and has been used in folk medicine for ages. Ginger is a natural herb that has some amazing medicinal benefits and is helpful in relieving pain and also acts as an antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory agent. Justicia Adhatoda and Ginger together, along with black pepper make one of the best remedies for Emphysema.
While Justicia Adhatoda does not cause any adverse side effects it is not safe to administer it to pregnant women and lactating mothers.
6. Stem of Acacia pennata stem + Long pepper + Alum
- Take a section of the Stem of Acacia pennata. Collect the fluid present in the stem (blow it out). Take half a teaspoon of Long pepper powder and mix with the fluid.
- Mix a pinch of alum powder with this and swallow. Continue the process daily for a week.
Acacia pennata, also known as climbing wattle and Gum Arabic is a bitter-sweet herb that has been used to treat bronchitis among other disorders. It is an effective anti-inflammatory agent and a good antiseptic agent as well. It is also an excellent antipyretic and is good for clearing the nasal passages of congestion. Long pepper is a nerve depressant that has antagonistic effects on muscular spasms. Stem of Acacia pennata stem and long pepper along with alum make one of the best natural remedies for Emphysema.
Acacia pennata does not cause any major side effects while taken orally though it may cause minor problems like flatulence, nausea and loose stools. Long pepper does not cause any known side effects.
5. Rumex Crispus + Honey
- Take a bunch of fresh and tender Rumex Crispus leaves.
- Wash and crush the leaves to extract the juice. Mix the Rumex Crispus leaf juice with 2 to 3 teaspoons of honey. Consume this mixture daily for a week or 10 days.
The tender leaves of Rumex Crispus have medicinal properties that help in treating symptoms of chronic Emphysema. The herb is rich in Vitamin A, potassium and proteins and it is also rich in oxalic acid hence the leaf should not be eaten as it is. Rumex Crispus is also rich in emodin, magnesium, nepodin, selenium and tannins. Honey is a natural antimicrobial and antioxidant that has a lot of goodness packed in. Rumex Crispus and honey together make one of the best home remedies for Emphysema.
While Rumex Crispus does not cause any major side effects when taken in the correct dosage, it can cause nausea, diarrhea, stomach cramps, frequent urination, and low levels of potassium and calcium in the blood.
4. Vitex negundo + Clove + Black Pepper
- Take a few leaves of Vitex negundo. Take two cloves.
- Take a teaspoon of black pepper powder. Grind the Vitex negundo leaves and cloves to a fine paste.
- Add the black pepper powder and mix well. Swallow this mixture and wash it down with a glass of warm water. Continue this process for a week.
Vitex negundo, also known as Chinese chastetree is an aromatic medicinal herb that is a natural muscle relaxant and helps relieve pain. It has been used extensively for treating Asthma and other breathing related disorders.
It is also effective in treating vascular headache and migraines and is an important herb that has been used in the Ayurvedic system of medicine. Clove is a natural medicine which has been used along with black pepper in folk medicine for treating various maladies. Vitex negundo, clove and black pepper together make one of the best natural remedies for Emphysema.
Vitex negundo does not cause any major side effects when taken in measured quantities. However, if dosage is exceeded it can cause nausea, stomach upsets, headaches, rashes and itching.
- Take 4 to 5 cloves of fresh garlic. Wash, peel and crush the garlic into a fine paste.
- Add two teaspoons of pure honey. Drink a glass of this mixture daily for a week or 10 days.
Garlic is one of the best medicinal herbs that has been used in various folk medicines and has also been used extensively in the Ayurvedic system of medicine. Garlic has the power to clear blocked nasal passages and helps clear the congestion of mucus in the airways. Moreover, garlic is a great booster of the immune system and helps fight infections successfully. Honey is a natural antimicrobial and an excellent anti-inflammatory agent. Together, garlic and honey make one of the best home remedies for Emphysema.
Garlic does not cause any major side effects and is safe to use, though the overpowering smell of garlic can linger in your breath for the whole day. Honey does not cause any side effects and is safe.
- Take some fresh Cardamom and crush it
- Boil a glass of water in a small bowl
- Add the crushed Cardamom and allow it to steep for 10 minutes
- Strain and add a teaspoon of pure honey
- Drink this decoction twice daily for a week
- You may also add Cardamom in your daily cooking
Cardamom is an aromatic spice that has been used as an additive in the cooking of various cultures of the world. This popular spice contains an important compound known as cineole, which is an excellent expectorant, which makes this spice an excellent remedy for Emphysema. The compound cineole helps dissolve the excess mucus formation in the airways and enables trouble-free breathing. It also clears the excess accumulation of phlegm in the lungs. Honey is a natural antioxidant that has anti-inflammatory properties as well. Cardamom and honey together make one of the easiest and safest home remedies for Emphysema.
Cardamom does not cause any known side effects and is safe to use. It is already in use as a food additive in most cultures of the world.
1. Licorice Tea
- Take two teaspoons of Licorice root powder. Boil a glass of water in a small bowl.
- Add the Licorice root powder and allow it to steep for 10 minutes. Strain and add a teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this mixture daily for a week or 10 days.
Licorice root has some excellent medicinal properties and is a great antioxidant and also has amazing anti-inflammatory properties. It has been used extensively in the Chinese system of medicine. Consuming Licorice root tea daily has a soothing effect on the lungs and acts as an adrenal tonic. It reduces the inflammation and pain caused by Emphysema. This herb is an excellent energy booster and an immune booster as well. Licorice tea is one of the best natural home remedies for Emphysema.
While Licorice tea does not cause any major side effects, it should not be administered to hypertension patients under medication as it can affect the blood pressure.
See a doctor immediately if:
- There is severe breathlessness and difficulty in breathing
- The patient experiences severe chest pain
- Blood appears while coughing