Otherwise known as pyrexia in medical terminology, a fever is a natural response by the body to fend viruses or bacteria that cause infections and other diseases. When your body temperature goes higher than the normal, you will experience a fever.
The normal body temperature range is 37°C (Celsius) or 98.6°F (Fahrenheit), but the number can vary in adults and children. If a child has a fever, the body temperature will be 99.5°F (37.5°C) whereas, for adults, it will be 99 to 99.5°F (37.2 to 37.5°C). Though the condition is common, it can make you feel very weak and sick. Also, some may experience common cold and cough. For a speedy recovery, some natural herbs and home remedies can help a lot. Before we list them to you, first let us look at the symptoms and causes.
Causes of Fever
Fever is the reaction in response to infection, illness or other reasons. The hypothalamus makes the body temperature to go high. The grounds for this disease might be due to the following reasons:
- Infections (viral or bacterial) in the ear
- Bladder infections
- Problems in the lung,
- Urinary tract issues
- Autoimmune disorders
- Blood clots
- Hormone disorders
- Using banned drugs such as cocaine, and
- Few inflammatory diseases
Changes in weather and drinking water can also cause a fever.
Symptoms of Fever
When the body has a fever, the internal organs are disturbed, and a person usually experiences the symptoms given below:
- Muscle aches
- Loss of appetite
- Lack of concentration, and
15 Best Home Remedies to Reduce Fever
Before you head to a doctor or spend money on the pharmacies, we recommend you to try these simple remedies at home. These tips are highly effective in reducing fever.
15. Herbal Tea
A mixture of herbs has always been an excellent remedy to treat fever. There are few herbs in particular, which are well known to bring down the body temperature. All you have to do is to follow the instructions given below:
- Step 1: Take 2 fresh betel leaves, 1 teaspoon dried ginger, ½ teaspoon black pepper if you are an adult (reduce the proportion if you are administering to a kid), 1 teaspoon palm jaggery, and ¼ teaspoon turmeric (use its sticks to grind it before you use and avoid using readymade powder).
- Step 2: Take 2 cups of water and add all the ingredients into it.
- Step 3: Boil for 15 minutes.
- Step 4: Drink this twice in a day to see your fever reduce completely.
Note: This remedy is great for kids and even pregnant women. Just reduce the pepper quantity.
How Does This Work?
Heart-shaped betel leaves are an excellent pool of natural phenolic compounds with antimutagenic, antiproliferative, antioxidant, and antibacterial, properties. Since they have many natural antibiotics too, betel leaves help in easing phlegm and coughing during a fever. Also, it is one of the best remedies for cold too.
Dried ginger is an analgesic and antibacterial. It increases appetite, improves the respiratory and cardiovascular system. The oleoresin from the ginger rhizomes (or roots) contains multiple bioactive components like gingerol, which is the main pungent ingredient to exert various remarkable physiological and pharmacological activities. Even though ginger is considered safe, we recommend you not to use therapeutically, unless you understand its entire mechanism.
Also known as the “the king of spices,” pepper contains alkaloids that stimulate the enzymes of your pancreas and thus, increases the digestion. They have a particular essential oil called piperine (alkaloid), which helps in increasing the absorption of B-complex vitamins, beta-carotene, and selenium.
Even though sugar and jaggery are obtained from the same source, they are different in their properties, benefits, and appearance. It is rich in iron, calcium, minerals, and vitamins. It is one of the healthy substitutes for sugar and can be used by diabetic patients as well.
Whether it is cold, cough, fever, an upset stomach, headache, or aching muscles, turmeric has always been the best remedy. Turmeric contains a natural compound called curcumin, which is well known for its anti-fungal, antiviral, anti-cancer, and anti-bacterial properties.
This Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- You are suffering from heartburn.
- You have migraines, tuberculosis, epilepsy, stomach ulcers, and psychological disorders.
14. Carom Seeds
Otherwise known as bishop’s weed, carom seeds are a well-admired herbaceous plant in Ayurveda. Native to India & Middle East, these seeds are hot and aromatic with a pungent, bitter taste. Not only are they helpful for a toothache but also for fever too. To tries a remedy using carom seeds, follow the instructions given below:
- Step 1: Soak 15 grams of organic carom seeds with a cup of water in a vessel (earthenware would be great).
- Step 2: Leave it overnight but keep it open. Do not close it with a tight lid.
- Step 3: The next morning, strain this liquid and drink.
- Step 4: Continue until your fever subsides.
How Does This Work?
Did you know that carom seeds have 26 vital components? In fact, they have been identified to contain 96% of essential oils, even including a major component called thymol, which has p-cymene, alpha-pinene, Beta-pinene, camphene, carvacrol, and limonene. Also, these seeds contain multiple essential oils, which exhibit properties like germicidal, antiseptic, antispasmodic, and fungicidal. Thus, cures cholera, nausea, colic pain, vomiting, diarrhea, indigestion, dyspepsia, arthritic pain, flatulence, etc.
Carom Seeds Are Not Good, If:
- You consume the seeds in excess. They can cause skin irritation, nausea, headache, allergy, and vomiting.
- You are suffering from disorders associated with hyperacidity.
- You have liver problems.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. It contains a compound called khellin, which can contract the uterus.
13. Coriander Tea
The seeds of coriander contain phytonutrients and vitamins to boost an individual’s immune system. Despite this, its powerful anti-microbial components and essential oils make it one of the best home remedies for fever. To prepare a healthy coriander tea, follow the steps written below:
- Step 1: Add one teaspoon of coriander seeds in a glass containing water.
- Step 2: Boil the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Step 3: Once it is warm, strain and drink it.
- Step 4: If you don’t like its taste, we suggest you add some palm jaggery to it.
How Does This Work?
Also known as cilantro, coriander seeds have many medicinal properties. It is enriched with magnesium, calcium, potassium, and sodium. Due to its hypoglycemic effects, the seeds are often referred as anti-diabetic. It has a compound called linalool, which increases the appetite and detoxifies the liver.
Coriander Seeds Are Not Good, If:
- You are suffering from sunburns.
- You have skin allergies.
- You are suffering from diarrhea, dehydration, and depression.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have low blood pressure.
- You are going to or undergone surgery.
12. Hot Water
So, if you have been wondering how to reduce fever, then hot water is the answer. In fact, this trick has been used since olden times. Just follow the instructions given below.
- Step 1: Dip a gentle washcloth in a bowl of warm water.
- Step 2: Wring out the excess water. Place the towel in areas like feet, hands, groin, and armpits.
- Step 3: The temperature will be reduced.
Alternatively, you can place a washcloth prepared in a similar way on the forehead or at the back of the neck. Kindly remember that the clothes have to be changed after a few minutes.
Note: This method is considered the most efficient home remedy when dealing with a high fever.
How Does This Work?
Placing a water-dipped cloth on specific parts of the body reduces the temperature, as the heat in the body is lower than the heat in the cloth.
This Trick Is Not Good, If:
You are administering the treatment to an infant. Check the water temperature or the child will suffer from shivering. Remember, the water should be cold but not to the extreme, as the internal temperature (of the body) might be increased.
Raisins are effective in enhancing the body’s immunity to fight infections. They also assist in reducing the temperature of the body.
- Step 1: Take nearly 30 raisins and soak them in a tiny bowl of water. The raisins have to remain immersed in water for some time.
- Step 2: The raisins should be crushed inside the water. Strain the water so that the residues are separated.
- Step 3: You can add half a lemon juice to the solution.
- Step 4: Have the mixture twice a day until the fever gets reduced.
How Does This Work?
The main ingredient in raisins that assist in reducing fever is the phenolic phytonutrient, which exhibits antioxidant and antibiotic properties. They are also in providing protection against a sore throat, cough, etc. It contains phosphorus and selenium — the two minerals responsible for absorption of proteins and nutrients in the body. The other medicinal components are the catechins (polyphenolic antioxidants) which eliminate the free radicals that can cause harm to the body.
Raisins Are Not Good, If:
- You suffer from clotting of blood. You might suffer from slow clotting of blood.
- You have to undergo surgery. It is advisable to stop having raisins two weeks before surgery.
- You are taking medications such as Warfarin (Coumadin), Phenacetin, etc. The medical components from raisins will interact with these medicines.