Fleas are tiny bugs that can give nasty bites that leave you itching all over. With red rashes forming in the bitten areas you need to experience a lot of discomforts. If you are a pet lover and have pets at home, you probably experience this problem more than those who don’t keep pets as pets are one of the best carriers of fleas. Apart from the itching, flea bites can be very painful unless some treatment is given immediately. Luckily, there are several easy home remedies for flea bites that give quick relief from the itching and pain. In pets, you can prevent flea infestations by using flea repelling collars and sprays.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: While fleas cause flea bites, they can be worsened by scratching
- Symptoms: Itching, Sore and painful skin, hives or rashes appear, infection due to scratching
10 Best Home Remedies For Flea Bites
Flea bites are more irritants than threats, and although it is impossible to eradicate fleas completely, you can use any of the easy home remedies for flea bites that will give you quick relief, and here are the ten best remedies:
10. Aloe Vera
- Collect the colorless gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Apply the gel on the areas bitten by Fleas. Let it sit for a couple of hours.
- Repeat the process twice daily for 2 to 3 days.
Aloe Vera is one of the best medicinal herbs that are found growing abundantly in the wild, but they can also be grown in your kitchen garden or pots as they have high medicinal value. Aloe Vera has some great medicinal benefits, and apart from being an excellent antioxidant, it is also a very effective anti-inflammatory agent. Applying Aloe Vera gel on the areas bitten by fleas has a soothing effect and helps get relief from the irritation and itching. Aloe Vera is one of the best home remedies for flea bites.
Aloe Vera does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to use on children and adults alike. It is a skin friendly herb that is used for the hair as well.
9. Witch Hazel
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of Witch Hazel tincture. Dip a cotton ball in the Witch Hazel tincture.
- Apply it gently on the flea-bite areas. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Wash with cool water and dab dry.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times daily for a couple of days.
Witch Hazel has strong astringent properties and helps get relief from the itching and pain caused by flea bites. Applying Witch Hazel tincture on the flea-bite areas has a soothing effect and gives instant relief from the itching and pain. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory properties of Witch Hazel make sure the inflammation is healed. It also helps get rid of the redness and hives associated with flea bites. Witch Hazel is one of the best flea bite home remedies that is easy to use and quite effective as well.
While Witch Hazel does not cause any major side effects when applied topically, it may cause minor irritation for people with sensitive skin.
8. Fenugreek Poultice
- Soak a handful of Fenugreek Seeds in water overnight.
- Grind the soaked Fenugreek Seeds into a fine paste.
- Apply the paste on the flea bite areas. Let it sit for a couple of hours.
- Wash with cold water and dab dry. Continue the treatment twice daily for 2 to 3 days.
Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) belongs to the Fabaceae family and is used as part of the cuisine of many cultures across the world. Fenugreek has excellent medicinal properties and has been used to cure stomach upsets and for treating various inflammations. It is rich in mucilage which is an emollient that has a soothing effect on skin inflictions like flea bites. It helps in getting relief from the itching and the pain caused by such bites. It is an excellent demulcent, apart from being a uterine stimulant and a carminative. Fenugreek is one of the best home remedies for flea bites.
Fenugreek does not cause any side effects and has a soothing effect on the skin and is quite safe to use on adults and children alike.
- Crush a bunch of fresh Purslane leaves to extract the juice. Apply the juice on the affected areas.
- Let it sit for a couple of hours. Wash with cool water and dab dry. Repeat the process twice daily for 2 to 3 days.
Purslane (Portulaca oleracea) is a medicinal herb that is also known as pussley, garden purslane verdolaga, Portulak and breeze through rock. Also known as potherb in Latin, this herb has been used traditionally as a folk medicine for treating a variety of illnesses and conditions. It contains alkaloids, sterols, essential oil, calcium salts, glycosides, resins, organic acids and Vitamin C. It is also rich in oxalic acid, potassium slats, and dopamine as well. Purslane is one of the best herbal flea bite home remedies that give relief from the itching and pain caused by flea bites.
While Purslane does not cause any major side effects, it should not be administered orally for pregnant women and lactating mothers. Otherwise, Purslane can also be consumed along with salads.
6. Honey & Garlic
- Take 2 pods of fresh garlic and peel the skin. Wash the peeled garlic and crush to soft paste.peel the skin. Take 2 teaspoons of pure, raw honey. Mix honey and garlic to make a thick paste.
- Apply on the flea bite areas and allow it to sit for a few hours. Repeat process 2 to 3 times daily for 2 to 3 days.
Garlic contains volatile oils like allin, allinase, and allicin along with other sulphurous compounds which give it the curative properties. The compound allicin is formed only when fresh garlic is crushed and is the key ingredient that hastens the healing process. It has high antimicrobial properties and is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent as well. Honey is a very useful home remedy and is a good natural antimicrobial and antibacterial agent. Garlic and honey together make one of the best home remedies for flea bites.
Garlic and honey do not cause any adverse side effects when applied topically. However, as garlic is very strong in nature, it may cause some irritation when applied on the sensitive skin or open rashes.
5. Agrimony Leaves, Marigold Leaves, & Petroleum Jelly
- Take 4-5 teaspoons of dried Agrimony leaves and 4-5 teaspoons of dried Marigold leaves. Take 500 g of petroleum jelly. Melt the petroleum jelly in a container.
- Add the Agrimony, and Marigold leaves. Stir and heat for a couple of hours.
- Strain the liquid through cheesecloth and collect the ointment. Store the ointment in an airtight container. Apply on the flea bite areas two to three times daily.
Agrimony leaves have been used for treating wounds and helps stop the bleeding in deep wounds. It has a soothing effect on flea bites and helps get relief from the itching and the pain caused by such bites. Agrimony also helps get rid of the redness and the hives caused by flea bites. Marigold leaves have anti-inflammatory properties and help get rid of the inflammation caused by flea bites. Petroleum jelly is used as a base for preparing this ointment. Agrimony and Marigold leaves together to make one of the best natural remedies for flea bites.
Agrimony and Marigold leaves do not cause any adverse side effects when applied topically on the skin.
4. Vinegar & Baking Soda
- Take 2 tablespoons of baking soda and sprinkle some water. Add small quantities of water and mix to make a thick paste. Take 1 teaspoon of vinegar and mix with a little water.
- Add the vinegar mixed water to the baking soda paste and mix well. Apply this paste on the flea-bite areas and let it sit for a couple of hours. Repeat the process twice daily for 3 to 4 days.
Vinegar is part of most kitchens in the world and is used extensively as a food additive. It has been used for thousands of years as folk medicine for treating various skin inflictions as well. It is effective in treating skin conditions like eczema; it has been found to be effective in treating flea bites as it has a soothing effect and helps get rid of the itching and pain. Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a mild alkaline that nullifies the toxic effect of the flea bite and helps get relief from the itching.
3. Epazote Poultice
- Take 2 teaspoons of Epazote powder. Sprinkle some water and make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the flea bite areas. Let it sit for a couple of hours.
- Wash with cold water and dab dry. Repeat the process 2-3 times for a couple of days
Epazote (Chenopodium ambrosioides) is a medicinal herb that is used extensively in the Mexican cuisine. It belongs to the Chenopodiaceae family and is also known as ambrosia, American wormseed, bitter weed and Californian spearmint. It contains volatile oil ascaridol, plus geraniol, cymene, limonene, terpinene, and myrcene and methyl salicylate. It also contains aritasone, butyric-acid, chenopodium and d-camphor, which acts as a repellent and as a cure for flea bites. Applying Epazote poultice helps get rid of the itching and pain caused by flea bites. Epazote is an excellent natural remedy for flea bites.
While Epazote does not cause any side effects when used in medicinal quantities as a topical poultice, consuming it internally in large amounts may cause a headache, nausea, vomiting and stomach pain.
2. Lavender Essential Oil
- Take a few drops of lavender essential oil and a few drops of coconut oil.
- Apply the coconut oil on the flea-bite areas first. Add 2-3 drops of undiluted lavender oil on the site. Massage the lavender oil on the flea bite areas for a few minutes.
- Repeat the entire process 2-3 times in the course of the day.
Lavender belongs to the mint family and is an excellent medicinal herb. Its oil has been used as folk medicine for thousands of years. The oil is used extensively for preparing balms, salves, perfumes and other cosmetic preparations. Lavender essential oil has over 47 chemical compounds including dimethyl vinyl hexenylibutryate, which is the main constituent, as well as octatriene, Eucalyptol, Camphor, etc. The carotene bleaching test has established the efficacy of Lavender essential oil as an effective agent against bacteria because of its antimicrobial properties. Lavender essential oil is one of the best home remedies for flea bites.
Lavender essential oil does not cause any adverse side effects. However, when treating people with sensitive skin, it is better the further dilute the Lavender essential oil lest it causes irritation.
1. Fresh Mint Leaves
- Crush a bunch of fresh mint leaves. Extract the juice.
- Apply the mint juice on the flea bite areas.
- Allow it to sit for a while. Rinse off with cool water.
- Repeat the process a few times daily for 3 to 4 days.
Mint is a medicinal herb that has been used in aromatherapy as well as a cure for various skin inflictions. The Mint herb contains Mentha Pepperminta, an essential oil that is effective in relieving the itching and pain caused by flea bites. It has excellent antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Mint juice is one of the best home remedies for flea bites.
Mint does not cause any side effects when applied on the skin. However, for people with sensitive skin, it is important that the juice is diluted before applying.
See a doctor immediately if:
- The itching and pain do not stop in spite of medication.
- It there is vomiting or fever.
- If the bite is near the eyes or the mouth.