Gastroparesis is a condition when food gets stuck in the stomach for too long causing severe gastric problems. This problem occurs when the intestines do not function properly. The condition causes heartburn, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and flatulence. This can be due to recent stomach surgeries, systemic sclerosis certain viral infections, ulcers or tumors forming in the stomach. It can also due to the intake of certain medications, problems with adrenal glands, heavy smoking, etc. While there are drugs to treat this condition, they do cause side effects that are equally bad. However, there are several easy and effective home remedies for Gastroparesis that help get relief.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Diseases of the stomach muscles, nerves controlling these muscles, diabetes mellitus, damage to vagus nerve
- Symptoms: nausea, vomiting, bloating, abdominal pain, changes in blood sugar levels, loss of appetite
10 Home Remedies For Stomach Bowel Movement
Gastroparesis is a serious condition that can lead to problems unless treated properly and on time. There are several easy and effective home remedies for Gastroparesis that help get relief, and here are the 10 best:
10. Ginger + Cranberry Juice
- Take two or three fingers of fresh ginger. Wash, peel and crush to extract the juice. Take a handful of cranberries.
- Wash and extract the juice. Mix both juices in equal quantity of water. Drink the mixture daily for a couple of weeks.
Ginger is a natural digestive agent that also helps in treating digestion-related conditions like Gastroparesis. It helps control nausea and vomiting associated with this condition and strengthens the digestive tract and helps tone the intestinal muscles. It also helps in the breakdown process of the food particles. Cranberry is loaded with friendly enzymes that are good for digestion of the food, and also contain anti-inflammatory properties that help contain the chronic inflammation that is caused by this condition. Ginger and cranberry juices together make one of the best natural remedies for Gastroparesis.
Ginger does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to use, however, people with peptic ulcer should avoid ginger as it can cause irritation and a burning sensation. Cranberry does not cause any side effects and is safe to use.
9. Aloe Vera Juice
- Take two thick leaves of Aloe Vera. Remove the skin and extract the gel.
- Take two teaspoons of the gel and crush it to make juice. Mix this in a glass of orange juice.
- Drink this mixture on an empty stomach daily for a couple of weeks.
Aloe Vera is a medicinal herb that has many amazing properties. Normally found growing abundantly in the wild, it is also cultivated in pots because of its high medicinal value. Apart from being an effective anti-inflammatory agent, it is also an effective antimicrobial and antibacterial agent. Aloe Vera boosts the digestive system and strengthens it, and helps regulate the bowel movements. The herb is good for boosting the immune system as well. Aloe Vera Juice is one of the best home remedies for Gastroparesis.
Aloe Vera does not cause any side effects and is safe to use for adults and children alike.
8. Carom Seeds
- Take one teaspoon of Carom Seeds and powder it
- Mix the powdered Carom Seeds in a glass of warm water. Add a teaspoon of pure honey
- Drink the mixture after a meal. Continue the process once daily for a week or 10 days.
Carom Seeds, also known as bishop’s weed, and Ajwain in Hindi, has been used to treat stomach upsets and flatulence for ages. It has been used as folk medicine for ages. It is rich in a chemical compound known as thymol which helps in releasing the gastric juices that are required for the digestive process. Carom seed water has been used to treat pain in the colon in babies. It also helps in curing nausea and vomiting caused due to Gastroparesis. Carom seeds are one of the best natural remedies for Gastroparesis.
While Carom seeds do not cause any adverse side effects when consumed in measured quantities, exceeding the dosage may cause nausea, vomiting, allergic reactions, skin irritation, and headache.
7. Fenugreek seeds & Buttermilk
- Take a handful of Fenugreek seeds and soak in some water overnight.
- Take a glass of buttermilk and add the soaked Fenugreek seeds.
- Chew the Fenugreek seeds and wash them down with the buttermilk.
- Continue the process daily on an empty stomach for a week or 10 days.
Fenugreek is a spice that has amazing medicinal benefits, especially for the stomach and the digestive tract. It has a soothing effect on the stomach and helps contain the pain caused by Gastroparesis. Fenugreek seeds mix with the food and make its passage through the digestive tract a lot easier. Buttermilk contains some friendly bacteria that help with the digestive process. Moreover, buttermilk has a soothing effect on the stomach and helps ease the pain. Fenugreek and buttermilk are great remedies for Gastroparesis.
While Fenugreek seeds do not cause any serious side effects, they may cause some flatulence. Buttermilk does not cause any side effects and is safe to use.
- Take a quarter teaspoon of powdered Asafetida.
- Mix it in a glass of warm water. Drink the mixture on an empty stomach. Continue the process daily for a week or so.
Asafetida is processed from the root of a herb known as Ferula and is native to Iran. It is also cultivated in India and is part of the cuisine of most of the Asian cultures. Although it has a very strong smell, when it is added to the food it gives an appetizing aroma. The resin part of Asafetida contains compounds like asaresinotannols ‘A’ and ‘B’, as well as ferulic acid, umbelliferone and other compounds which help in expelling the gas that accumulates in the stomach causing Gastroparesis. Asafetida is probably the best natural treatment for Gastroparesis.
While Asafetida does not cause any adverse side effects it is not recommended to be consumed raw by lactating mothers and infants.
5. Turmeric + Honey
- Take two teaspoons of Turmeric powder. Mix it in a glass of warm cow’s milk.
- Add two teaspoons of pure honey. Drink this mixture daily for a month or so.
Turmeric is a magical spice that is part of the everyday cooking of several Asian cultures. It contains a main ingredient known as curcumin, which is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent. Moreover, Turmeric has a soothing effect on the stomach and is a natural antimicrobial and antibacterial agent that helps destroy the bacteria present in the stomach. Honey is a natural antibacterial as well and it also has a soothing effect on the stomach and helps ease the discomfort caused by Gastroparesis. Turmeric and honey together make one of the best home remedies for Gastroparesis.
Turmeric does not cause any side effects and is quite safe to use. Honey is also a natural product that does not cause any side effects.
4. Celery Seeds Tea
- Take one tablespoon of Celery seeds. Boil a glass of water in a small bowl. Add the Celery seeds and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the tea while it is hot.
Celery is a herb that has some great medicinal properties. Apart from joint pain and gout, it is also useful in treating headache and nutritional deficiencies. It is great for loss of appetite and is one of the best remedies for exhaustion. Its main function is acting as an excellent digestive aid and it can regularize bowel movements and cure constipation and flatulence. Celery is one of the best remedies for Gastroparesis.
While Celery seeds do not cause any serious side effects when consumed in moderation, it may cause reactions like inflammation of the skin. This should not be administered to pregnant women as it can cause an abortion.
3. Vitamin D
- Drink a glass of warm, fortified milk daily.
- Include fish, egg yolk, yogurt and cheese in your diet.
- Step out in the sun and soak for 30 to 40 minutes daily.
Vitamin D is essential for the various functions of the human body. Apart from aiding in better absorption of calcium, it helps in strengthening the bones and helps keep the digestive system in perfect condition. Including Vitamin D rich foods like egg yolk, fish, yogurt and cheese in your diet helps keep the stomach free of flatulence and helps ease the irritation caused by Gastroparesis. Sunlight is essential for getting a natural supplement of Vitamin D for the body. Vitamin D is essential as a home remedy for Gastroparesis.
Fish, egg yolk, yogurt and cheese do not cause any adverse side effects. However, excess consumption of cheese is not recommended as it can increase the cholesterol levels.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Take two teaspoons of undiluted Apple Cider Vinegar. Mix it in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this mixture daily 25 minutes before a meal. Continue the process for a month or so.
Apple Cider Vinegar is an excellent antioxidant that has been recommended for treating various diseases. It is one of the best remedies for Gastroparesis as it has an alkalizing effect on the body and gives instant relief from the abdominal pain. it also helps cure bloating that is caused by excess accumulation of gas in the stomach, and is also an excellent cure for heartburn. Moreover, Apple Cider Vinegar has a profound effect on the gastric emptying process. Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the best home remedies for Gastroparesis.
Apple Cider Vinegar does not cause any adverse side effects when consumed in measured quantities. It is not advisable to consume Apple Cider Vinegar in its undiluted form as it can cause some irritation in the stomach.
1. Psyllium Husk Powder
- Take two teaspoons of Psyllium Husk Powder. Mix it in a glass of warm water. Add a teaspoon of pure honey.
- Drink this mixture twice daily (morning and evening). Continue the process for 2 to 3 weeks
Psyllium husk, also known as isabgol, ispaghula, are the husk of the seeds of the Plantaga ovta, belonging to the Plantago genus. This herb is native to India and Pakistan and is used extensively as a weight loss remedy. It is also recommended for intestinal health and also helps curb voracious appetites and enhances digestion. It acts as a cleansing agent and helps flush out the unwanted toxins from the stomach. Also contains a large amount of soluble fiber that helps in the digestion process and as a cure for Gastroparesis.
Psyllium husk does not cause any major side effects normally, however in some cases it may cause allergic reactions like hives or rashes and difficulty in breathing, in which case it is better to consult your physician.
See a doctor immediately if:
- There is excessive bloating causing discomfort.
- You are unable to consume food due to loss of appetite.
- There are spasms resulting in extreme pain.