Every woman dreams of shiny, luscious, and long hairs. On an average, hair grows about 0.3 – 0.5 mm a day, which is 0.5 inches or 1.25 cm per month and 6 inches or 15 cm a year. The rate of hair growth depends on regular maintenance and a healthy diet. Besides these factors, natural herbs can promote rapid growth, but it is vital to use the right ones. Though plenty of websites list you different remedies, we guide you the ones that work effectively. Considering this, here are 10 best home remedies for longer hair growth.
Causes & Symptoms Of Slow Hair Growth
- Causes: Underactive thyroid, anemia, low hemoglobin, low testosterone levels, lack of certain nutrients in the body, eating disorders, unhealthy diet, stress
- Symptoms: Very slow hair growth or no growth at all and excess hair fall (where the lost hairs are not replaced by the new ones).
10 Best Home Remedies For Longer Hair Growth
Though there are many herbs that help your hair grow faster and longer, the ones listed here are highly effective. They give positive results in a short time. But do not expect the hair growth to be so soon. These are just medicinal plants and not magical potions. You have to be patient.
10. Sesame Roots And Leaves
- Take some sesame roots and leaves. Wash them properly.
- Boil them with enough water to wash your hair. Filter it and allow it to cool.
- Use this mixture to rinse your hair. Continue for a few weeks for best results.
Sesame is one of the best home remedies for longer hair growth. It is often suggested because of its essential nutrients like vitamin E, B1, phytosterols, phosphorus, proteins, calcium, etc. However, the essential fatty acids (omega-3, omega-6, omega-9) are the main ones to promote healthier growth. It opens the pores and helps in enhancing the blood flow.
There are no known side effects of rinsing your hair with sesame leaves and roots. However, if you are applying a medical cream for treating your scalp allergies, avoid this remedy. Consult your doctor before use.
9. Hibiscus Leaves And Acacia Concinna (Shikakai)
- Grind some fresh leaves of hibiscus plant to make a paste.
- Add a few teaspoons of Acacia Concinna powder to the prepared paste. Mix well.
- Apply the paste to your hair. Leave it for 1 hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Continue the process for a few weeks for best results.
Hibiscus flower has multiple benefits. Its polyphenol compounds, vitamin C, organic acids (tartaric acid, malic acid, and citric acid), minerals, antioxidants and penetrative properties ensure better hair growth while curing a different range of hair problems like dandruff, damage, hair loss, and dryness. On the other hand, Acacia Concinna has been used since ancient ages to enhance faster hair growth. It has low pH levels, which helps the tresses to restore the natural moisture.
Both the herbs are mild and can be applied even if you have a sensitive scalp. Topical application of both the herbs has no known side effects. It is safe and effective.
8. Curry Leaves And Yogurt
- Grind some fresh curry leaves to make a fine smooth paste.
- Mix the paste with adequate amounts of yogurt. Apply this mixture on the hair and scalp.
- Leave for 30 – 45 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Continue for a few weeks.
Curry leaves have multiple benefits when it comes to hair. It treats premature hair graying, scalp issues and promotes healthy as well as rapid hair growth. They are enriched with essential proteins, amino acids, and beta-carotene, which help in nourishing the hair cuticles deeply. Incorporating yogurt with curry leaves has spectacular benefits. Its primary job is to add a lustrous sheen to the hair. Besides this, it cools the scalp, prevents dandruff and moisturizes from roots to ends.
There are no reported side effects of applying this remedy externally. It is safe and promoted faster growth.
7. Paste Of Gingko Biloba Roots & Neem Leaves
- Take the powdered form of Gingko Biloba roots and a few fresh Neem leaves.
- Grind both the mixture with little water to make a paste.
- Apply the mixture on the scalp. Leave it for 30 minutes and wash off.
- Continue the process once in every week for a month or two for best results.
The properties of Gingko herb act as a vasodilator; thus, reducing hair loss, supplies the vital nutrients to the scalp and improves the way follicles function. On the other hand, neem leaves have multiple benefits for hair. It rejuvenates the scalp, promotes growth, treats dandruff, cures scalp infections, and prevents pattern baldness.
The biochemical compounds in neem contribute to antifungal, antibacterial, antipyretic, and anti-inflammatory properties, which belong to triterpenoid compounds like limonoids. Other vital compounds in neem include azadirachtin, nimbolide, nimbin, salannin and meliantriol.
Avoid the remedy if you have any open wounds on the scalp. Do not take Gingko supplements if you have blood-clotting problems or on other medications, as it can cause adverse effects.
6. Carrots + Lemon Juice + Coconut Oil
- Take juice of 2 carrots, a ½ cup of fresh lemon juice, and coconut oil (based on the hair length). Mix carrot & lemon juice. Boil the mixture with coconut oil for 5-10 minutes.
- Filter the mixture and apply it on the hair before taking a bath. Continue for a few days.
Carrots have multiple health benefits. However, when it comes to hair, the essential nutrients in them – vitamin C, K, A, B2, B3, B6, B1, and other minerals stimulate growth, improve blood flow, strengthen the follicles, and prevent breakage. On the other hand, lemon juice is enriched with vitamin C, B, pectin, folic acid, flavonoids, phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium.
The vitamin C in lemon improves the development of healthy hairs the limonene content adds a nice shine. Finally, coconut oil contains lauric acid, capric acids and other fatty acids that bind the hair proteins together. Further, it nourishes the scalp and eliminates the sebum buildup from the follicles.
There are no reported side effects of applying this remedy topically. However, if you are on medications for other hair problems, talk to your dermatologist before use.
5. Jujube or Red Dates (Ziziphus jujuba)
- Grind a few jujube fruits to extract their juice.
- Apply the juice evenly on the scalp and hair strands. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo. Continue this for a few weeks to promote growth.
Jujubes are none other red dates, which are claimed to be one of the best home remedies for longer hair. They are enriched with vitamin C, which nourishes the scalp, increases blood flow and improves growth. They act as a natural febrifuge and astringent.
There is no harm in applying jujube juice externally on your scalp. It only helps and doesn’t pose serious side effects.
4. Sapindus Mukorossi Herb With Lemon Juice & Yogurt
- Grind 3 teaspoons of powdered Sapindus mukorossi with enough water to make a paste.
- Add a few drops of fresh lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of yogurt to the paste.
- Mix them properly. Apply on the scalp and hair. Leave for 45 minutes. Wash off.
- Continue once in every week for a month or two for best results.
The herb sapindus mukorossi is one of the commonly used ingredients in most herbal shampoos and soaps. The saponins (natural surfactants) in them help in hair thickening and promote further growth. On the other hand, lemon’s vitamin C enhances growth while its limonene content adds shine. Yogurt nourishes the scalp and adds silkiness to the hair.
There are no harmful effects of using the mixture topically. But, if you have scalp allergies or on certain medications for it, talk to your dermatologist before use. While applying, avoid contacting with the eyes as it can cause eye pain, irritation, and redness.
3. Horsetail Essential Oil & Coconut Oil
- Mix 2 – 3 tablespoons of pure coconut oil (based on hair length) with 5-6 drops of horsetail oil. Massage your scalp with this mixture on alternate days for ten minutes.
- Leave it overnight. Wash off with a mild shampoo the next morning. Continue for a few weeks.
Horsetail is one of the best herbs for hair growth. It works because it has huge amounts of natural silica in it. The quercetin content also helps in preventing hair thinning and breaking. However, it is a potent herb; hence, it requires to be diluted with a carrier oil. Here, we have used coconut oil. But you can also use almond oil or olive oil. The coconut oil’s essential fatty acids help in binding the hair proteins.
There are no side effects of using the mixture. But there might be burning sensation in the scalp if you are not diluting the horsetail essential oil with a carrier oil.
2. Drumstick Leaves (Moringa oleifera)
- Grind some fresh moringa leaves with little water to make a paste.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice. Mix and apply on the scalp.
- Leave for 45 minutes. Wash off. Continue for a few weeks for best results.
Moringa is also known as the “miracle tree” or “the tree of life” because it has 46 kinds of antioxidants, 90 different nutrients, and ability to treat 300 types of health problems while one being better hair growth. It promotes faster hair growth due to a compound called thiocyanate. It strengthens the follicles, nourishes the scalp, and stops hair loss.
There are no known side effects of applying moringa leaves paste on the scalp externally. However, if you have scalp problems, talk to your doctor before use.
1. Watercress Herb (Nasturtium officinale)
- Grind 1 cup of watercress leaves (freshly chopped) with enough water to make a paste.
- Apply the mixture on the scalp and leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash off and repeat the process twice in a week for a month for best results.
Watercress is an amazing superfood. Besides applying the herb externally on the scalp, you can even add it to your daily diet. When consumed, it helps in purifying the blood. The reason it works is due to the presence of biotin, vitamin A, zinc, which encourages stronger growth. The sulfur content in them eliminates bacterial infections, moisturizes as well as conditions the hair.
The remedy is safe to use externally as well as internally.
See a doctor immediately if:
- There is no hair growth even after applying remedies.
- There is severe hair loss. It could be a sign of an underlying medical condition.
- There are scalp allergies.
- There are baldness patterns in various scalp regions.