Only if your blood pressure is normal, there will be a proper supply of blood to the other body organs. Blood helps in supplying nutrients and more essentially oxygen to these organs. Blood pressure is measured in two extremes — high blood pressure and low blood pressure. A normal BP should be between these two extremes. High or low both is trouble. The measurement of blood pressure is done in the arteries when the heart is in the active phase. Usually, the blood pressure is considered normal if the person has 120/80 mm Hg.
Sadly, people today suffer from both high blood pressure (hypertension) and low blood pressure (hypotension) problems. To know about hypertension and its remedies, click here whereas regarding the home remedies for low blood pressure, read the article further.
What Is Low Blood Pressure?
Low blood pressure reduces the right flow of blood to the organs and causes disruptions in their functioning. A Low blood pressure can be a reason for a massive heart stroke or the failure of other body organs.
Causes Of Low Blood Pressure
Low blood pressure patients are advised not to undergo rigorous exercise or for that matter, even excess sex is a strict no-no for them. No one would like to get old early, but a low blood pressure stops you from living your life to the fullest. Medically termed as Hypotension, the causes of low blood pressure are immediate and severe too. In such cases, patients need immediate medical attention. Some of the causes of low blood pressure are:
- Dehydration: It is a medical emergency and needs immediate medical attention wherein there is a severe loss of water in the body.
- Allergic Reaction: A sudden reaction to any allergen can increase your heartbeat, and low blood pressure can disrupt the normal functioning of the heart.
- Bleeding: Excess blood loss can also cause a low bp. If not attended to properly then it can have fatal consequences.
- Cardiogenic Shock: Also called as a heart attack, this is a condition wherein the heart is not able to pump enough blood to the organs.
- Caffeine Overdose: The normal amount of caffeine permitted in an adult’s body is about 400 mg. More than this can lower your blood pressure. Coffee is the primary source of caffeine for most of us.
Symptoms Of Low Blood Pressure
Some of the early symptoms of low blood pressure are:
- Frequent fainting
- Weakened eyesight
- Sweaty skin
Now that we know about the causes and the symptoms of low blood pressure, it is also important for us to learn about the cure of this problem. So, let us look at some of the best home remedies for low blood pressure.
10 Home Remedies For Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension)
Starting the list in the reverse chronological arrangement, here are ten great remedies for low blood pressure treatment.
10. Dry Dates, Dry Grapes, and Figs
Dry Dates: Dates are a rich source of iron, which is an essential nutrient required for the good health of the blood. Women are especially recommended to include dates in their diet. However, dry dates are furthermore valuable as the fiber content in these fruits increases when dried. Dry dates are a one stop solution for some health related problems. As the fruit contains no cholesterol and a minimal amount of fat, it works wonders for your heart.
Dry Grapes: Also known as raisin, they are made from dried grapes. It is available in two colors, brown and black — depending on the color of the grapes from which it was made. It is widely used in desserts and cooking. It is an effective fruit that benefits the skin, hair and the overall health of the body.
Figs: Fig trees can be easily found along the roads in India. It is a tough tree which can easily grow under any circumstances and similarly the fruit is a tough one which can provide solutions to many health issues. Dried figs are available throughout the year as they can be stored for longer period. However, fresh figs taste better as they are juicy and soft. Hence, a combo of these ingredients can be one of the best home remedies for low blood pressure. To try this, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Wash all the above fruits very well in plain water.
- Step 2: Take a handful of these fruits and then soak them in half a glass of water overnight.
- Step 3: Drink this water and chew on the fruits early morning on an empty stomach.
- Step 4: Do not have breakfast for another one hour after eating these fruits.
How Does This Work?
The solution is to increase the intake of potassium and lower the intake of sodium. Many of us do not include potassium rich fruits in our diet and on the contrary, sodium intake is constantly increasing because of everyday salt. All the above mentioned fruits, dried grapes, dried dates and figs, are rich in potassium and low in sodium. They are also rich in iron which is essential for the good health of the blood.
Raisins, dry grapes, are also a good source of arginine that improves the blood flow in the arteries as it dilates and relaxes the arteries.
Dry dates contain Vitamins A, B, E and K. They are also a rich source of Niacin, Thiamine and minerals like selenium, copper, magnesium and phosphorous that helps maintain the overall health of the body.
Figs are also a good source of Vitamin B6, copper, manganese, pantothenic acid, potassium and dietary fibre, all of which are essential for the good health of the digestive system.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- You are allergic to any of the above. It is better to avoid this remedy.
- You have unusual blood sugar levels. Figs are known to lower the blood sugar levels and on the contrary; dates increase the blood sugar levels. So, avoid them.
- You have blood clotting problems. Raisins are believed to slow blood clotting.
- You have a scheduled surgery in the coming weeks. Avoid raisins for at least two weeks beforehand.
- You are suffering from a bloated stomach. Intake of these dry fruits can cause diarrhea.