Opiates or opiate are common or naturally occurring drugs or prescribed for the treatment of pains. These are naturally obtained from the opium poppy plant and can be produced synthetically too from morphine. Earlier these drugs were used to treat many sleep disorders and were known to ease the bowel related issues .Now, these opiate have taken the form of a monster that is gripping everyone around the globe. Opiate withdrawal symptoms can be cured using home remedies. When it extended, you need to consult the doctor. Before seeing the home remedies for opiate withdrawal let’s see what happens in the opiate addiction.
Why You Shouldn’t Take Opiate ?
Opiate addiction occurs when one is unable to control his urge to take the opiate for alleviating or exterminating the pain. Opiate addiction has become a serious issue which has to be restrained.
- These drugs produce their effects by affecting the tissues of the central nervous system and their prolonged use can lead the pain even worse.
- Opiate addiction can lead to its overdose can cause obstructed breathing and unconsciousness and may even lead to death.
- Prolonged use of opiate makes the brain cells dependent upon the drugs for the proper functioning of the body and when the individual stops taking these drugs, the body needs time to convalesce and can cause symptoms which may seem severe but are actually mild.
Symptoms of Opiate Withdrawal
If somebody who was having prolonged exposure to the opiate suddenly stops taking them, he or she may face a large number of symptoms, commonly known as withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms can begin after 12-24 hours of last opiate dose and can make the person feel uneasy exhibiting the following signs:
- Teary eyes
- Runny nose
- Muscle and joint aches
- Increased heart rate
- Body tremors
- Blurred vision
- Dilated pupils
- Flu-like symptoms
- Changes in sleep patterns
The frequency of these symptoms depends upon the dosage of the drugs taken and the type of drug administered to the individual.
Usually, the doctors perform urine and blood tests to identify the presence and amount of opiate in the body of the victim. They can also ask for the medical history and the time from which the person is taking the drugs.
5 Home Remedies For Opiate Withdrawal
Opiate withdrawal can leave a person in a miserable condition and may even lead to retake of drugs by the individuals in order to avoid or eradicate the withdrawal symptoms. Some of the major symptoms with their natural remedies are described underneath. Home remedies must be taken according to the symptom occurred.
1.Home Remedies For Flu-Like Symptoms
Opiate withdrawal can cause symptoms of fever, chills, and sweating. These can be alleviated by using these natural remedies.
- Take cool water baths when the temperature is high
- Put the wet cloth over the head for reducing fever.
- Ice packs covered with a cloth can also be used to reduce high body temperature.
- Wear light, comfortable clothing which is made up of absorbent material for soaking the sweat.
- Use blankets, cardigans, or warm clothes when experiencing chills.
2.Home Remedies For Nausea & Vomiting
Nausea and vomiting are the major symptoms which are commonly experienced by the person when he/she quits the opiate usage. These symptoms can cause uneasiness and may even lead to dehydration. Some of the biotic remedies and tips that can alleviate these symptoms are:
- Avoid eating in large quantities. Instead, eat small meals throughout the day.
- Include bananas, rice, toast, apples, or some bland foods that are less likely to upset the stomach.
- Stay hydrated all day in order to counter-balance the water loss of the body.
- Oral rehydration solution or a salt and sugar solution can provide relief to the body from dehydration.
- Avoid foods that are rich in fat content as they can irritate the lining of the stomach.
- Take help of antacids to regulate the excess acid production in the stomach.
3.Home Remedies For Tremors
One of the side-effects of withdrawing opium is the shaking/tremors in the body that are intricate to curb. Following advice should be trailed to get relief from tremors.
- Avoid caffeinated beverages like coffee and carbonated drinks to reduce the tremors.
- Try to sidetrackthe mind from tremors as sometimes superfluous attention to the tremors can make them worse.
- Distract the brain and make it busy in other things like watching TV or hold some heavy object which can lessen the shaking.
- Some naturally occurring herbs like Hypericum perforatum can help in dwindling the shaking or tremors from the body.
4.Home Remedies For Sleep Disorders
Opiate withdrawal can generate many sleep disorders which may hamper the daily routine of the individuals.Sometimes the person may feel sleepy or sometimes it will be difficult for him/her to get a good sleep. The sleep disorder can be easily cured by some of the advice given underneath.
- Strictly maintain a schedule of sleep and wake up time so that the body gets its own chronometer and it will be beneficial for a good sleep.
- Try to maintain a cozy bedroom, away from sound and distractions in order to get a sound sleep.
- Make a relaxing routine before going to sleep. Abstain yourself from looking at the screens (Mobiles, laptops, etc.). Drink milk or tea and engage yourself in reading or listening to music.
5.Exercising For Opiate Withdrawal
Exercise can assist greatly in dwindling the withdrawal symptoms by naturally increasing the level of endorphins in the body that create a sense of elation or well-being. During opiate addiction, the natural receptors for endorphins in the brain are ensconced by the opiate and body becomes dependent upon drugs for proper functioning. Exercising can increase your endorphins levels naturally and can aid in boosting up the removal of opiate from the body.
These methods can be used in a collaborative manner with the professional medications and can assist the person in an easy and hitch-free way in dealing with the opiate withdrawal. Undoubtedly the withdrawal symptoms can completely take the life off-track and can intensify the urge for taking the opiate again, but the person should keep this thing in mind that he/she has to fight with his internal demons generating the urge in order to live healthily and happily.