Scarlet fever, which is common among children in the age group of 3 to 12 years (sometimes even up to 15 years), is caused by a bacteria known as streptococcus. The attack by this virus causes rashes and the skin reddens as it releases certain toxins into the blood stream. The rashes first appear on the neck and can spread to the chest and other parts of the body. The face looks flushed and the throat is often sore, tender and painful. Reddish spots appear on the tongue. One tends to lose appetite and suffers from headaches, nausea, and vomiting. There are several effective home remedies for Scarlet Fever that give good relief.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Through infection caused by the streptococcus pyogenes bacteria
- Symptoms: A Sore throat, white or yellowish patches in the throat, high fever, rashes on the skin
10 Best Home Remedies For Scarlet Fever
Scarlet Fever can cause difficulty in swallowing in some people afflicted by the disease, and causes nausea and loss of appetite. There are several effective home remedies for Scarlet Fever that give relief, and here are the 10 best:
10. Fresh Garlic
- Take 4-5 cloves of fresh Garlic. Peel, wash and chop to fine slices.
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of honey. Add the sliced Garlic to the honey
- Chew the Garlic well and swallow with the honey. Continue the process daily for a couple of weeks
Garlic is an amazing herb that is loaded with goodness. It has been recommended for treating several stomach and skin disorders in the Ayurvedic system of medicine and as folk medicine as well. Garlic is endowed with strong antiseptic properties that make it powerful enough to combat attacks of Scarlet Fever. It has also been used to treat the symptoms of yellow fever successfully. Garlic is one of the best home remedies for Scarlet Fever. Honey also is a natural antimicrobial and antibacterial agent that helps boost the immune system and keep infections at bay.
Garlic does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe. Honey also does not cause any side effects and is safe to use. However, Garlic may leave you with an unpleasant breath throughout the day.
9. Ginger & Honey
- Take a finger of fresh Ginger. Peel and grate the ginger.
- Boil a glass of water in a small bowl. Add the ginger and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add 2 teaspoons of honey. Drink this concoction daily for a couple of weeks.
Ginger is a natural herb that has amazing medicinal properties. Apart from being a natural antiseptic agent it also has very good anti-inflammatory properties. Moreover, ginger is also a natural antibacterial agent and has antiviral properties as well. Drinking ginger tea helps in destroying the virus causing Scarlet Fever and gives relief from the pain and discomfort.
Ginger does not cause any known side effects and is safe to use. Honey also is a natural antimicrobial agent that does not cause any side effects. However, people with peptic ulcer need to be cautious as ginger can cause irritation and a burning sensation in the stomach.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Take 2 teaspoons of undiluted Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Add it to a glass of warm water and mix well. Add a teaspoon of pure honey and mix.
- Drink this mixture daily for a couple of weeks.
Apple Cider Vinegar has great medicinal properties and being a non-steroidal that has amazing anti-inflammatory properties it is best suited for treating infections caused by Scarlet Fever. Moreover, Apple Cider Vinegar also has antibacterial properties that help combat the infection caused by the virus. Apart from consuming it internally, it can be applied directly to the skin as a topical application, which will give relief. Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the best home remedies for Scarlet Fever Rash.
While Apple Cider Vinegar does not cause any serious side effects when taken in measured quantities, it may cause a bit of irritation when applied on the sensitive skin.
7. Turmeric & Cow’s Milk
- Take 2 teaspoons of Turmeric powder. Boil a glass of cow’s milk in a small bowl.
- Add the turmeric powder and let it steep for 5 minutes. Add a teaspoon of pure honey. Drink this Turmeric infused milk daily in the morning and night.
- Continue the process for a couple of weeks.
Turmeric is an amazing spice that has some great medicinal properties. It is an excellent antiseptic agent that works wonders on the skin. It is also an effective antimicrobial and antibacterial agent that helps contain the infection caused by Scarlet Fever. Turmeric contains an important compound known as curcumin (diferuloylmethane), demethoxy-curcumin, and bisdemethoxycurcumin, which give it the healing properties. Turmeric and cow’s milk together make a great natural treatment for Scarlet Fever.
Turmeric is a natural spice that is part of cooking and does not cause any adverse side effects. Cow’s milk contains calcium and other minerals and does not cause any side effects.
6. Coconut Oil
- Mix 2 teaspoons of virgin coconut oil in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this mixture daily for a couple of weeks. Also, take 2 teaspoons of virgin coconut oil.
- Apply it on the affected parts of the face. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Wash with warm water and dab dry.
Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids that do a lot of good for the skin. It is probably the most abundant source of saturated fat, and they also contain Medium Chain Triglycerides. Moreover, coconut oil contains Lauric acid which converts into a substance known as monolaurin, which has the power to destroy bacteria like Staphylococcus and Candida. Applying coconut oil topically on the rashes has a soothing effect and helps hasten the healing process. Coconut oil is one of the best home remedies for Scarlet Fever.
Coconut oil does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to use on adults and kids alike.
5. Aloe Vera & Turmeric Powder
- Take a thick leaf of Aloe Vera. Shave off the thorny spikes on either side.
- Remove the skin on the rounded side. Scrape the colorless gel on to a clean bowl.
- Mix a teaspoon of Turmeric powder. Apply the mixture on the affected parts
- Let it sit for a couple of hours. Repeat the process twice daily for 3 to 4 days.
Aloe Vera is an amazing medicinal herb that is found growing in the wild, though it is cultivated in pots also because of its high medicinal value. It has some great medicinal benefits, and apart from being an excellent antioxidant, it is also a very effective anti-inflammatory agent. The antibacterial properties of Aloe Vera and the antimicrobial properties of Turmeric powder together work on the rashes and redness caused by Scarlet Fever and help cure it. Aloe Vera and Turmeric make one of the best home remedies for Scarlet Fever.
Aloe V era is a safe herb that does not cause any side effects. It is a skin friendly natural herb that works well in combination with Turmeric powder, which also does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to use.
4. Lavender Essential Oil
- Take 2 teaspoons of Lavender Essential Oil. Boil some water in a wide mouthed vessel.
- Add the Lavender Essential Oil. Cover your head with a sheet and inhale the vapor. Continue the process two to three times daily for a week.
- Alternatively, mix Lavender Essential oil in equal quantity of water. Apply it on the affected parts and allow it to sit for a while. Continue the process twice daily for a week
Lavender essential oil has some good medicinal properties and has been used extensively in aromatherapy. Steam inhalation of the vapor of Lavender Essential Oil gives relief from a sore throat and helps get rid of the reddish spots appearing in the tongue, which are caused by an attack of Scarlet Fever. Applying Lavender essential oil topically on the face helps get relief from the itching and discomfort and helps hasten the healing process. Lavender essential oil is one of the best home remedies for Scarlet Fever.
While applying Lavender Essential Oil on the face does not cause any adverse side effects, it may cause irritation and a burning sensation if applied on the sensitive skin or raw rashes.
3. Basil & Honey & Ginger Juice
- Take a bunch of fresh Basil leaves. Crush the leaves and extract the juice.
- Take a finger of fresh ginger. Wash, peel and crush to extract juice.
- Take 2 teaspoons of pure honey. Mix all three in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this mixture daily for a couple of weeks.
Basil is loaded with minerals and Vitamin A which helps in boosting the immune system and helps fight infections caused by Scarlet Fever. Ginger is a natural antiviral and antibacterial agent that also has some anti-inflammatory properties that help combat an attack of Scarlet Fever. Honey is a natural antiseptic agent that has amazing curative powers. Together Basil, Ginger, and Honey make one of the best home remedies for Scarlet Fever.
Basil is considered a divine herb that does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to use. Ginger and Honey also are natural products that do not cause any adverse side effects. However, people with peptic ulcer need to be cautious as ginger can cause irritation and a burning sensation.
2. Mint Tea
- Take a few fresh Mint leaves. Wash the leaves and set aside.
- Boil a glass of water in a small bowl. Add the Mint leaves and steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain it. Add a teaspoon of honey. Drink this aromatic Mint tea daily for a week to 10 days.
Mint leaves make an excellent remedy for Scarlet Fever. Drinking the tea made of Mint leaves is not only aromatic and refreshing; it also helps fight the rashes caused by Scarlet Fever. The compound rosmarinic acid found in Mint leaves is responsible for actually treating the classic symptoms of Scarlet Fever. Mint leaves make one of the best home remedies for Scarlet Fever.
Mint leaves do not cause any adverse side effects when used in measured quantities for a short period.
1. Oatmeal + Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) Soak
- Run some warm water in your bathtub. Take 2 cups of Oatmeal and add it.
- Add two teaspoons of Baking Soda. Soak in the tub for 30 minutes to an hour. Repeat the process daily for 3 to 4 days.
Oatmeal and Baking Soda Soak has a soothing effect on the rashes caused by Scarlet Fever. Baking soda is an antibacterial agent and an excellent anti-inflammatory agent as well that helps in getting relief from the itching caused by the rashes. Oatmeal also helps in getting relief and has a soothing and relaxing effect. Together, Oatmeal and baking soda make one of the best home remedies for Scarlet Fever.
Oatmeal and baking soda do not have any adverse side effects. However, if the rashes are raw or the child has sensitive skin, baking soda may cause irritation and a burning sensation.
See a doctor immediately if:
- There is very high fever (above 102° F).
- The glands in the neck are swollen or tender.
- There are too many red rashes causing severe itching.