14. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract (or GSE) is made by blending its seeds and pulp, which acts as an antibiotic. It is widely used in making nasal sprays. It functions very effectively against bacteria, fungi, microbes, parasites, and a few viruses. Also, it exhibits antioxidant, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. Hence, it is an extremely versatile home remedy. Since grapefruits are rich in vitamin C, they assist the body in defeating infections and reducing congestion. In fact, grapefruit seed extracts are claimed to be one of the effective ways to cure sinusitis, as it offers long lasting results. If you apply this remedy on a regular basis, you will notice that the pressure you have due to your sinuses will disappear, and soon, you will be able to breathe properly. Here is what you need to do exactly:
- Step 1: Take two tablespoons of grape seed extract.
- Step 2: Add with six ounces of water thoroughly.
- Step 3: Drink the mixture twice a day.
How Does This Work?
Known for its antibacterial, antiviral and antioxidant properties, grapefruit seed extract’s high Vitamin C and healing nutrients help the body in building immunity against any infection.
Grapefruit Seed Extract Is Not Good, If:
- You have breast cancer. It might aggravate conditions. Women in post menopause should drink only the prescribed amount of grapefruit extract as it can increase the levels of breast cancer appearance.
Onions contain high amounts of sulfur, from which they are known to exhibit their antibacterial properties. This helps in curing sinusitis. If your sinus infection is mild, just inhaling the aroma of a fresh onion may clear your blocked nasal passages. But, the sulfur from a chopped onion can burn your eyes. If you don’t want this to happen, slice few pieces of onion and put it in a pot containing boiling water. Let the onion boil for 5 minutes and inhale to relieve a runny or stuffy nose. If you pretty much love the taste of onions, you can even drink this liquid when it is warm. Though any onion helps in healing sinus infections, the scented ones are best (red, white, and brown). To try a remedy using onions, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Take an onion and cut into several pieces.
- Step 2: After chopping the onions into tiny pieces, put them in a bowl of boiling water. Let the mixture become warm.
- Step 3: Cover the eyes properly and inhale the scent so that the clogged nose is relieved from the mucus. You can also consume the mixture when warm.
How Does This Work?
Onion is rich in flavonoids called as quercetin. Quercetin has been found effective against cardiovascular disease, cataracts, and cancer. In addition to organosulfur compounds, quercetin has been found to exhibit antihistamine properties, which can assist in reducing nasal congestion and inflammation.
Onions Are Not Good, If:
- You have a gastric influx disease problem. Do not follow the procedure if you have faced Heartburn before while feeding on onions.
- You are on blood-thinning drugs, as onion contains major components of Vitamin K. It can interfere with blood-thinning drugs.
- You are allergic to onions – you can have feelings of vomiting, nausea, and gastric discomfort.