Rather than using those expensive medications for sinus, you can try a natural remedy using garlic. It will not only save money but time as well. The reason for garlic being so effective in the treatment of sinusitis is due to the chemicals, minerals, and enzymes it composes. These natural and vital chemicals help in killing the virus, fungi, and bacteria that cause an infection. Also, it exhibits expectorant, decongestant, antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. But, make sure to use the garlic raw. Besides used in the treatment of sinus, it also boasts other health benefits. To name a few, it boosts the immune system, cures cold, cough, reduces high blood pressure (or hypertension), maintains normal cholesterol levels, lowers the risk of heart diseases, enhances bone health, and helps you live a little longer. To try a remedy using garlic, follow the instructions given below:
- Step 1: Take five garlic cloves and two teaspoons of water.
- Step 2: Crush the cloves to make a paste.
- Step 3: Mix the water with clove paste.
- Step 4: Take the mixture close to your nose and inhale deeply.
How Does This Work?
The medicinal component is allicin, and you may get relief because the mucus is loosened. You can then breathe comfortably. The allicin is famous for its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Garlic Is Not Good, If:
- You are breastfeeding a baby. Although medical research has not been done on this topic, it is better to avoid garlic during this duration.
- You are prescribed blood-thinning medications. You will face the risk of bleeding.
- You have a heart problem. You can suffer from side effects.
7. Fenugreek Seeds
A less admired member of the bean and pea family, Fenugreek (botanically known as Trigonella foenum-graecum) is domesticated for medicinal and culinary purposes. The seeds of this plant are gathered for consumption while the plant is used as crops for cattle. However, both the leaves and seeds are edible for human consumption. In fact, they have a high nutritional value. Due to their medicinal properties, Fenugreek seeds are used for treating multiple ailments while the one being “sinus”. They are a great source of magnesium, iron, zinc, magnesium, and copper. The remedy listed below is the best if you are suffering from sinus infection due to inflammation or you are feeling pressure on the sensory organs (face and forehead) along with other symptoms like cough, headache, etc.
- Step 1: Take three teaspoons of fenugreek seeds and one glass of water.
- Step 2: Mix and bring them to boiling point.
- Step 3: Strain the tea and allow it to warm.
- Step 4: Sip the tea slowly to get relief from sinus problems.
- Step 5: Drink the tea two or three times a day until you cure yourself.
How Does This Work?
The seeds have a component called mucilage (a lubricating agent that can soothe the irritated mucus membranes). It helps in the treatment of respiratory conditions, which can include coughs and bronchitis. The other fiber contents present in the seeds are tannin, pectin, hemicelluloses, and saponins. The medicinal properties are attributed to phytochemicals such as yamogenin, tigogenin, and choline. The vitamins present in these seeds are niacin, Vitamin A, C, folic acid, thiamin, and pyridoxine.
Fenugreek Seeds Are Not Good, If:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. It can induce labor pain.
- You are allergic to any of its compounds.