The cinnamon bark can be used as powder, supplements, sticks, or liquid. You will be interested in reading the fact that there are about 100 different types of cinnamon while the most common being Cassia and Ceylon cinnamon. Both these varieties are used for medicinal and cooking purposes. The reason cinnamon is highly helpful in the treatment of sinusitis is due to its natural compounds like cinnamaldehyde and eugenol. Also, it exhibits antiseptic, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. It easily kills the bacteria and other harmful germs. It is also used in treating various respiratory diseases like flu, sore throat, and nasal congestion. According to health experts, drinking a cup of cinnamon tea helps in clearing the blocked air passages, soothes the sinus membranes, removes the excess mucus, and makes the breathing easy. To try this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Mix one teaspoon of cinnamon powder with one tablespoon of honey.
- Step 2: Consume the mixture daily to get relief from sinus.
- Step 1: Mix two teaspoons of cinnamon powder and enough water to make a paste.
- Step 2: Apply the paste all over the forehead as well as nose to clear the sinus blockages.
How Does This Work?
The chemical components in cinnamon are eugenol, cinnamaldehyde, beta-caryophyllene, and linalool, which assist in eliminating the bacteria that cause sinus.
Cinnamon Is Not Good, If:
- You have type II diabetes. The blood sugar levels have to be monitored.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have undergone surgery lately or going to have one.
3. Oregano Oil
There have been lots of controversies and debates lately if oregano oil helps in sinus infection treatment or not. Well, it wouldn’t have been on this list if it could not treat sinusitis! After a deep research and learning about the various benefits of oregano, you will be happy to know that it is one of the best essential oils to cure sinus infections. The use of oregano dates back to 2000 years when ancients used it for healing many ailments. Though there are many herbs that possess multiple medicinal values, oregano is like a healing miracle. It has antioxidant and antibacterial properties. In fact, oregano has 42 times more antioxidants than apples. Apart from healing sinusitis, it also strengthens the immune system. To try a remedy using this herb, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Dilute oregano oil (two drops) with water and keep the mixture under your tongue.
- Alternate Method: Step 2: You can make a mixture of oregano oil with olive oil. You can then rub them over the forehead, nose for opening blocked sinuses as well as nasal passages.
- Alternate Method: Step 3: You can add three drops of oregano oil to hot water in a bowl and then inhale its steam.
How Does This Work?
The main medicinal components of the oil are thymol and carvacrol. Both are well known for their antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. The other important acid is known as rosmarinic acid, which has antioxidant effects. The other components having antibacterial properties are known as terpenes.
Oregano Oil Is Not Good, If:
- You are allergic to the members of Lamiaceae family such as sage, basil, lavender and mint.
- You get an upset stomach. Stop the procedure immediately.
- You are administering the above steps to children and infants.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding a baby. Menstruation might happen, causing harm to the unborn child.