1. Herbal Tea Made From Black Pepper Leaves
Black pepper belongs to the family of Piperaceae. It is widely used for cooking and for making natural medicines. Native to Kerala (a southern state in India), the use of black pepper dates back to ancient times. In fact, it was greatly traded in those days. It is available throughout the year and has multiple benefits. It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial properties and is a great source of vitamin K, vitamin C, potassium, iron, dietary fibers, and manganese. Black pepper is well admired in treating diarrhea, heart disorders, anemia, pyorrhea, indigestion, jaundice, muscular strains, impotence, cough, cold, constipation, respiratory problems, and so on. To try this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Take few fresh leaves of the black pepper plant and wash them thoroughly.
- Step 2: Boil them in water for few minutes.
- Step 3: Allow the concoction to cool down.
- Step 4: Strain and drink it for a week.
How Does This Work?
The reason black pepper leaves are highly helpful in the treatment of sinusitis is their active oxygenated compounds. Also, they have a lot of alkaloids while the main being piperine, which acts as a depressant on the central nervous system and has pain-relieving, anti-fever, insecticidal, and anti-inflammatory effects.
Black Pepper Is Not Good, If:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding. It might cause miscarriage.
- You are allergic to it.
- You are on any other medication. There might be interactions, and the condition can worsen.
How To Prevent Sinus Infections?
Physical activity combined with nutritional diet can help build immunity against simple ailments such as cold and cough. Refrain from smoking (even passive) as the smoke can irritate sinuses. If you are suffering from different kinds of allergies, then ensure that you do not venture outside or keep the windows open. Especially, between the timings of 5 am and 10 am because the pollen count has been found to be the highest during these times.
Keep the house and the surrounding clean. You can vacuum all the corners and hidden edges where the dust gets trapped in the cluster. It is advisable to use dust mite covers on the pillows and mattresses.
When To See A Doctor?
Anytime, other than a sinus infection, if you are unsure about health, kindly see the doctor. Fix an appointment with the doctor if you suffer from a sinus infection lasting for weeks. You get cured, and the same symptoms recur after some duration. An underlying medical condition can be the result of the chronic infection, and you may need special treatment.
In case the symptoms persists after two days, such as:
- Pain in the upper teeth or face
- Pain for the whole section right from the lower eyelid to the bridge of the nose
- You also experience a headache that could not be relieved by over-the-counter medicine such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen.
- You suffer from high fever or nasal discharge. In due course of time, the discharge comes out thick and in color (green or yellow).
- You suffer from mucus in the mouth, and the duration is more than ten days.
- There are no signs of improvement even after taking medication for more than a week.
Natural remedy vs. Pharmacy
The medicines prescribed for bouts of acute sinusitis and chronic sinusitis are triamcinolone (Nasacort), beclomethasone (Beconase, Vancenase), fluticasone (Flonase) and flunisolide (Nasalide).