There are few topics, which are better when confined in the vicinity of home. Talking about such things, “snoring” is one of them. However, in the interest of others’ health and knowing that the ailment can be cured, we have decided to publish this article. Snoring is not to be met with embarrassment. If you have a loving family member who becomes a villain in the night, then worry not, as there are some amazing home remedies for snoring.
You can read the article and follow the steps to get a peaceful sleep. You would have seen in numerous movies about jokes made on a person’s snoring and comparisons made to dog howling, air raid sirens. But, do you know that 35% of the current adult population is affected too? Well, the causes can be both emotional and physical. Before we list the tips to you, let’s start with a quick introduction.
What Is Snoring?
Snoring occurs when the muscles in the soft palate (roof of the mouth), throat and tongue are relaxed. When the tissues in the throat relax, they can partially block the airway. The vibration starts when the air is left out. Intense vibration in the form of extreme sound can be felt if the airway passages are narrow.
Types Of Snoring Patterns
- Snoring With Closed Mouth: Your mouth is shut, but the sound is on – this problem is with the nasal or tongue passageways. You can overcome this snoring with the help of exercises and lifestyle changes.
- Mouth Wide Open: The tissues in the throat are the culprits. The obstruction in the throat may force more air to move in when you sleep. The other causes might be sinus problems or improper posture in the bed.
- Snoring On Your Back: When you lie on the back, you breathe through the mouth, which can enhance the snoring.
- Snoring In Any Position: It may be the symptoms of a serious problem, more likely sleep apnea – It is advisable to see the doctor/physician in case you become awake because of the snore or it keeps the partner awake.
If you have a partner with this snoring habit, it can cause friction in the relationship. This disorder is curable if you get the right instructions and implement them. So, have patience and live happily.
Select The Right Time To Talk
If you confront the live-in partner or spouse in the middle of the night or during morning hours, it will result in arguments and anger. The best time is to have a conversation on this is after dinner — when everyone is in a relaxed mood. At this time, you can address the concerns. Pick the proper words so that your partner might not feel offended. If your live-in partner or spouse complaints about the snoring, take the issue seriously and find a solution.
11 Best Home Remedies For Snoring
11. Herbal Mixture: Licorice Roots + Cinnamon + Honey
Licorice roots contain various anti-depressant compounds. In fact, this medicinal plant has many impressive documented uses but still is one of the overlooked herbs. The roots of Licorice help in opening the airways and eases snoring.
On the other hand, Cinnamon is one of the best home remedies for snoring too. Widely grown in the Middle East and South Asian regions, the bark of cinnamon is known to have high amounts of antioxidants. Apart from treating snoring, it can cure diabetes, eliminate bad breath, improve your memory, aid digestion, and treat diarrhea. Next, honey can also help get rid of snoring. The reason? Well, its due to the anti-inflammatory benefits it possesses. So, to try the remedy, here is what you need to do:
- Step 1: Take ½ teaspoon of licorice roots, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of organic honey.
- Step 2: Grind them together to form a fine smooth paste.
- Step 3: Place a very small quantity of this paste on your tongue.
- Step 4: Allow it to dissolve but slowly.
How Does This Work?
Licorice is one of the most admired perennial shrubs in Ayurveda. It grows to a height of 1 meter and is widely seen in Asia, Turkey, Pakistan, Iraq, and China. The compounds that help treat this ailment include glycyrrhizin, polysaccharide sterol, betaine, choline, and B-sitosterol.
According to Ayurveda, cinnamon offers sedative effects to assist an individual to snooze better. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties. It takes good care of breathing issues associated with snoring. It has an organic compound called cinnamaldehyde, which gives the herb its sweet odor and taste.
Since honey is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties, it reduces snoring by treating the swelling (or inflammation) around the person’s throat region. Also, organic honey helps in lubricating the throat and helps in preventing the vibrations that cause snoring.
This Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- You suffer from liver and kidney problems.
- You are taking medicines for blood thinning.
- You are on the medication for controlling blood sugar.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have undergone surgery recently or going to have one.
- You are suffering from heartburn and stomach ulcers.
- You have a fever.