Believe it or not, breathing exercises are one of the best ways to treat snoring problems and what could be better than yoga? Pranayama is one of the best exercises dedicated to breathing. You can slowly regulate your breath to draw the positivity from the environment and while letting off carbon dioxide, you can visualize the negative aspects, feelings and emotions moving away from the body. The exercise calms the mind and body. In fact, regular practice can assist in warding off the snoring challenge. Just follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Sit in Padmasana or Sukhasana. If you cannot sit in the mentioned poses, sit on a chair but with a straight back. Keep your eyes closed.
- Step 2: Close your right nostril with the right thumb, take the breath slowly (ten seconds) from your left nostril and let the air stay for five seconds.
- Step 3: Slowly exhale through the right nostril by closing the left nostril with the ring finger.
- Step 4: Most important, the duration of air exhaled through the right nostril should come to twenty seconds. Do the same exercise five times the first day.
- Step 5: Give a break of sixty seconds. Now, do the reverse by starting from the right nostril. Continue the procedure five times the first day.
- Step 6: Give a break of sixty seconds.
- Step 7: Draw breath from both the nostrils. Let the air remain in the body for five seconds. Then exhale the air.
How Does This Work?
The exercise assists in the delivery of the blood to the brain and enhances circulation. Pranayama is well known for giving relaxation to those individuals who practice every day. It is mandatory that you learn the basics of this technique from a Master. This method relaxes the muscles and tissues around the throat.
This Yoga Pose Is Not Good, If:
- You are having breathing problems. Consult with your doctor before practicing this technique.
- You have had food before 15 minutes. Similar to any exercise, pranayama should be done half an hour before having food and four hours after having food. Improper breathing can lead to dizziness and stomach pain.
9. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint is one of the refreshing herbs to treat snoring. Apart from this, it can energize your overall body. It improves digestion, reduces pain, eliminates inflammation, relaxes the mind, treat sbad breath and helps in the process of weight loss.
Peppermint has anti-inflammatory properties that assist in reducing the swelling of the membranes that are lining the nostrils and throat. This remedy is effective if the causes of snoring are due to allergy, cold or dry air. To try this trick, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: You can add peppermint oil (two drops) to a glass of water.
- Step 2: Gargle with the mixture before sleep.
- Step 3: Ensure that you do not swallow the solution.
- An alternative method is to use peppermint oil to both sides of your nose (lower parts) before hitting the bed.
How Does This Work?
The critical ingredient in the peppermint is the menthol. The benefits of menthol are its soothing and anesthetic properties which relax the tissues. The inflammation (inner nostrils) is reduced, and proper air flow is maintained.
Peppermint Oil Is Not Good, If
- You are breast-feeding a baby. Peppermint has been found to reduce production of milk. It stimulates menstrual flow in pregnant woman and must be avoided.
- You swallow the mixture.
- You are suffering from a gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) as well as a hiatal hernia. The herb has been found to relax the sphincter between the esophagus and stomach. Hydrochloric acid can move into the esophagus causing stomach upset and worsening of gallstones.
- You are using drugs such as felodipine (for blood pressure) and simvastatin (cholesterol-lowering drug). Peppermint might interact with these medications, and adverse reactions can occur.