Stomach ulcers can make a person lose the appetite and the mood as well. The sudden weight loss is caused by the powerful gastric juices corroding the lining of the stomach.
However, there are simple home remedies that offer quick relief. Peptic ulcers are also stomach ulcers that are caused by bacteria known as helicobacter pylori which infect the stomach region.
Causes & Symptoms of Stomach Ulcers
- Causes: Bacterial infections, corrosion by gastric juices, prolonged use of drugs.
- Symptoms: Stomach pain, weight loss, loss of appetite, nausea, and heartburn.
10 Best Home Remedies For Stomach Ulcers
Stomach ulcers are not life threatening; however, they can be very irritating and cause a person a lot of discomforts. Apart from losing weight, a person affected by stomach ulcer shows no enthusiasm in eating food. Thankfully, there are several easy home remedies for stomach ulcers, here are the 10 best:
10. Fenugreek Leaves
- Grind a bunch of fresh, cleaned Fenugreek leaves in a mixer-blender.
- Add a little water and drink the juice twice daily for a week.
Fenugreek greens juice has a soothing effect on the stomach and helps get relief from the burning sensation caused by the stomach ulcer. There is a mucilaginous substance present in Fenugreek which hastens the curing process. Fenugreek greens are one of the best home remedies for stomach ulcers.
There are absolutely no side effects of using Fenugreek greens; however, severe cases of ulcer may need medical attention.
9. Cabbage Leaf Juice
- Grind 6-8 fresh cabbage leaves in a mixer-blender.
- Mix a quarter cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder.
- Drink the cabbage juice before a meal. Continue the process daily for a week.
Cabbage leaf juice gives almost instant relief from the burning sensation caused by stomach ulcers. It has a soothing effect and helps relieve the stomach pain caused by stomach ulcers. Cabbage leaf juice is one of the best home remedies for ulcers in the stomach.
Consuming cabbage leaves has no adverse effect and is quite safe. Severe cases of ulcer may need a doctor’s advice.
- Get some fresh, ripe bananas. Eat two to three per day.
- Alternatively, make banana milkshake.
- Drink a glass of banana shake daily.
Banana is rich in potassium and inhibits the growth of B pylori bacteria, which is responsible for the infection causing stomach ulcers. Drinking banana milkshake forms a protective coating in the stomach and prevents corrosion by the gastric juices. Bananas are one of the best natural ulcer remedies and are delicious too!
While bananas are good for health, they are very high on calories. People who have weight issues should not eat too many bananas.
7. Herb: Leaves of Black Night Shade Plant
- Get a bunch of fresh black night shade leaves.
- Extract the juice and mix with equal quantity of water.
- Drink this juice on an empty stomach daily.
- Continue the process for a week.
Black night shade (Solanum Nigrum), known as Mokoi in Hindi and manathakali keerai in Tamil is a medicinal herb that has great curative effects. It has a soothing effect on the stomach and gives instant relief from the burning sensation caused by stomach ulcers.
Black night shade greens do not have any side effects and can be used as part of your cooking. Consuming them raw is more effective as it loses part of its potency when cooked.
6. Aloe Vera Juice
- Take two leaves of Aloe Vera. Remove the skin and scrape the colorless gel.
- Wash the gel and run it in a mixer-blender to make juice.
- Drink this juice on an empty stomach.
- Continue the process daily for a week or so.
Aloe Vera is a medicinal herb that has been used extensively in the Ayurvedic system of medicine. Apart from being good for the skin and hair, Aloe Vera juice has a soothing effect on the stomach and helps get relief from the pain. Aloe Vera juice is one of the best natural home remedies for ulcers in the stomach.
Aloe Vera is a medicinal herb that does not have any side effects and is safe to use. As there are many species of Aloe Vera choose the best-suited one under advice from an expert.
- Mix two teaspoons of pure honey in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this mixture on an empty stomach.
- Repeat the process for a week or 10 days.
Honey has been praised as a natural medicine that has been in use for ages. It has been used extensively in the Ayurvedic system of medicine and in folk medicine as well. The antibiotic qualities of honey help cure the infection in the stomach and offer quick relief from stomach ulcers. Honey is one of the best natural home remedies for stomach ulcers.
Honey is a natural product and is safe for even new-born babies. Honey has no side effects and has plenty of curative effects.
4. Licorice Root Powder
- Take 1 teaspoon of Licorice Root powder. Boil a glass of water in a small bowl.
- Add the Licorice Root powder and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the decoction on an empty stomach.
- Repeat the process once daily for a week.
Licorice root powder has excellent antibacterial properties as well as anti-inflammatory qualities that help cure the infection in the stomach. Consuming Licorice root extract helps increase the mucus in the stomach which forms a protective lining. Licorice root extract is one of the best home remedies for stomach ulcers.
While Licorice powder is good for treating stomach ulcers it can reduce the potassium levels and trigger the blood pressure. Hence hypertension patients should abstain from using Licorice powder.
3. Raw Garlic
- Crush 3-4 pods of raw garlic. Boil a glass of water in a small bowl.
- Add the crushed garlic and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add a teaspoon of pure honey.
- Drink the concoction on an empty stomach.
Garlic is a wonder herb root that has many beneficial qualities. It is an excellent antibiotic and helps with the digestion process. The antibacterial properties of garlic help destroy the bacteria causing the stomach ulcers. Garlic is one of the best natural home remedies for ulcers in the stomach.
Garlic has no side effects and may be added in everyday cooking. However, for people who can’t bear its strong smell, garlic extract capsules offer the best solution.
Also see: how to cleanse your stomach?
2. Indian Gooseberry Juice
- Take 6-8 Indian Gooseberries and cut them in halves. Remove the seeds.
- Extract the juice and mix with water in 1:6 ratio.
- Drink the juice on an empty stomach.
Indian gooseberry has been praised for its medicinal properties and has been recommended as medicine in the Ayurvedic system of medicine. Indian gooseberry juice helps relieve the burning sensation and hastens the healing process. Indian gooseberry juice is one of the best home remedies for stomach ulcers.
Indian gooseberry is loaded with Vitamin C and does not have any side effects. It helps reduce the bad cholesterol levels in the blood.
1. Beetroot Juice
- Take 2 to 3 fresh beetroots. Wash, peel and slice.
- Extract the juice. Mix with equal quantity of water.
- Drink a glass of beetroot juice on an empty stomach.
Beetroot juice is loaded with antioxidants and helps remove the toxic substances trapped in the stomach. It helps in flushing out the toxins and destroys the bacteria causing the stomach ulcer. Beetroot juice is a great natural home remedy for stomach ulcers.
Beetroot juice is good for general health as well. It also reduces nerve damage and reduces high blood pressure thanks to the nitrates content.
See a doctor immediately if:
- There is any nausea or vomiting sensation
- The stomach ache or burning sensation is unbearable
- You are unable to eat any solids or drink liquids
8 CommentsLeave a Reply
Hey Live A Little Longer, I Hope you would clarify my doubt my question is Is yogurt an okay dairy food to eat with a peptic ulcer?
Hello Lenter, You can consume yogurt because its full of the good bacteria you need in your digestive tract.
Hi I am a 30 year old working professional. I skip my breakfast daily due to my work pressure. Will it lead to ulcer in the later stages of life?
Hello Mr. Venkatanarayanan, skipping your breakfast is not good for your health at all. It not only leads to ulcer but in turn leads to several health complications. Our advise is not to skip any of your meal in a day.
Beetroot juice- I tried this remedy. Really it was nice one. You may share this in social media.
Thanks David, we will definitely share in our social media platforms. Keep supporting us!
What is licorice root? Is it a ayurvedic herb? could you please explain about licorice root.
Liquorice, or licorice, is the root of Glycyrrhiza glabra from which a sweet flavour can be extracted. The liquorice plant is a herbaceous perennial legume native to southern Europe and parts of Asia, such as India. It is not botanically related to anise, star anise, or fennel, which are sources of similar flavouring compounds.