In this high-paced race that we run every day, stress is something that is very common. However, the fact that no one accepts undergoing stress is a roadblock on the way to stress management. The difference between stress and everyday tension is hard to describe. In fact, many don’t even realize that they are extremely stressed. The first step towards solving any problem is to recognize the problem followed by the underlying cause and applying some natural tricks. So, to deal with this, here are some amazing natural remedies for stress and anxiety disorder that are proven to provide relief. But before that, let us know the actual causes of stress and when can you claim that one truly needs help for stress management.
Causes of Stress
Everyone at some point in their life faces stress, and there are a lot of reasons behind it. The causes of stress can be categorized into three types:
- Personal Stress
- Professional Stress
- Emotional Stress
Many times we are pressured by deadlines, demands, and desires. This stress can further pile on your worries and cause more trouble. The primary reason why the body reacts in a certain way has a lot to do with the situation. Stress is body’s natural way to deal with an emergency circumstance. At such times, it releases stress hormones that trigger an immediate reaction in the body. Say, for example; you have to pull the car brakes all of a sudden – at this time, your body releases hormones to alert you. These kinds of stress hormones are rather helpful.
However, not all stress is healthy or for that matter even required. Stress, when prolonged for some time, can lead to stress overload and anxiety disorder. The body fails to differentiate between stress that is caused by an emergency situation like the one mentioned above. It tends to mix it up with the stress that you may get after losing your job, for example. For the mind, both are stress and have to be dealt with in the same way.
Frequent release of stress hormones in the body can cause increase mental issues, emotional problems, health issues like heart stroke, early aging (wrinkles, yes ladies so stop taking up all the stress), anxiety disorder, and even suppressed immune system. You may even become socially unfriendly to be around, and this loneliness can cause more stress and anxiety.
Here are some of the prime causes of stress:
- A Major Change In Life: Any major and unexpected change in life is bound to bring a certain psychological shock or surprise. If it comes as a surprise, it is good enough, but if it turns out to be a big shock, it can lead to stress. Changes in school, shifting homes, the demise of a loved one, etc are few instances. There are many reasons that can cause a major change in your life.
- Relationship Problems: Relationship troubles, especially among the youngsters are a lot more complicated than it used to be. Perhaps, a decade ago, at least this is what they think. Even Facebook has a relationship status option as complicated. So problems in a relationship can also be a cause for stress.
- Career Problems: Everyone wants to bag their dream jobs. With competition getting tougher and aims, rising high, career stress is something very difficult to handle. Peer pressure is an important cause of career stress.
- Health Issues: Chronic diseases that are painful or incurable can be a source of stress for the person. Some may even worry about the financial load that the disease may cause on the family. This can cause even more stress.
- Financial Problems: Man is the only animal who needs money for a living, they say. Today money has become a huge factor for staying content, but money does not guarantee you happiness. Financial crises are a huge factor when it comes to the beginning of a stressful situation.
- Unrealistic Expectations: Sometimes peer pressure to excel in something can force you to make unrealistic goals for yourself. When these expectations fail, the mind fails to handle the failure, which in turn causes an extra load of stress.
- Rigid Thinking: The branch that does not bend, breaks. Yes, if you do not keep your thoughts flexible, or you just get stuck to one particular thing for a long time, you would probably end up being mentally exhausted.
- Pessimistic Attitude Towards Life: Due to stress at times, you may look at things and notice only the negativity in it. Even if there is something to rejoice, your mind would eventually find out something that you need to worry about. It is a classic case of a glass-half-full or a glass half empty.
This list can be a long one. With a human mind so diverse, there are bound to be a wide range of emotions and situations and each one of us has a different way of reacting to it. These reactions and situations are the points around which everything related to stress revolves.
So when do you conclude that a person is facing some serious stress issues or is it just another bad day for him or her? There are some symptoms which if you could notice can help you draw these conclusions. These symptoms can be divided into two categories:
- Emotional symptoms
- Symptoms that affect your performance
Symptoms Of Stress
- Short temper
- Sense of loneliness
- Unhappiness towards everything
- Memory problems
- Not able to concentrate on work
- Seeing only negativity in everything
- Constant worrying
- Poor judgment
Symptoms of Physical Stress
- Excess hair fall
- Loss of sleep
- Lack of sex drive
- Rapid heartbeat
- Being tired all the time
Symptoms of Anxiety Disorder
- Rapid heartbeat
- Weakness and lethargy
- OCD symptoms
You can even notice a change in a person’s behavior. For example; loss of appetite or may be an urge to eat more, isolation from social life, change in sleeping timetable, diverting your mind by using alcohol, smoking, etc. or even running away from responsibilities.
20 Best Home Remedies For Stress & Anxiety Disorder
No more wondering how to get rid of stress & anxiety disorder when you have these best and natural home remedies to help you. You just need to be aware of them.
20. Pearl Millet And Buttermilk
Pearl millet: Pearl millet is a well-admired millet that is widely grown in Africa and Indian subcontinent. It is an easily adaptable crop because it can handle drought, low soil fertility, and even high temperatures very well. The risks of harvesting the crop are low; hence, it is preferred by more than 50% of farmers around the globe. In developed countries, millet is mostly grown only as bird food, but this crop can work wonders if you know the right way to use it.
Buttermilk: Buttermilk is a soothing drink, which is prepared by mothers in Indian homes for the scorching sun at summers. It has all the qualities of milk, except the fat which is already churned out while making butter. Hence, the combination of these two is one of the best home remedies for stress & anxiety disorder. To apply this remedy, follow the procedure given below:
- Step 1: Grind the pearl millet into a powder form.
- Step 2: Mix it with buttermilk.
- Step 3: Boil this mixture and once it turns warm, drink it.
- Step 4: Do this for a few days to see a change.
How Does This Work?
Stress overload usually makes you feel tired and exhausted from within. Pearl Millet and buttermilk together can help you relax and get rid of this tiredness. Millet contains a high amount of fiber and nutrients. Buttermilk, on the other hand, is a good source of potassium, calcium, vitamin and also phosphorus. This way your energy is restored and you are back on track. This certainly is one of the easiest home remedies for stress.
The Remedy If Not Good, If:
Pearl millet and buttermilk do not have any known side effects that you need to worry about. Instead, this drink is so beneficial that it also helps keep your body weight balanced without any hardcore diet routine.
19. Lavender Oil
Did you know that just by inhaling the scents of lavender oil could assist in relieving tension headaches? Believe it or not, this oil has been found extremely useful in reducing the symptoms of stress. Lavender (scientific name: Lavandula angustifolia) is one of the most versatile essential oils. It is well admired for its calming and relaxing effects. It is used for cleaning the cuts, skin irritations, and bruises. The aroma is relaxing, balancing, and calming — both emotionally and physically. So, if you are someone, who is stressed most of the time, carrying a small bottle of this essential oil could be of great help. To try the remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Take three drops of lavender oil and one bowl of water.
- Step 2: Boil the water for ten minutes.
- Step 3: Put three drops of lavender oil in water.
- Step 4: Inhale the mixture.
- Step 5: Repeat for 2 to 3 times in a day.
Alternate Method: Add two drops of lavender oil with the same amount of olive oil and make a mixture. Rub this on your forehead.
How Does This Work?
The high percentage of esters (linalyl acetate) present in lavender essential oil is known to possess sedative and anti-inflammatory properties. This method is best suited for the evening hours. The other components to make a mark are coumarin compounds. They can assist in dilating or opening up of blood vessels thus reducing the symptoms of anxiety disorder and stress. During steam distillation, linalyl acetate is distilled by steam to form linalool, which is effective in reducing symptoms of stress & anxiety disorder.
Lavender Oil Is Not Good, If:
- You have to undergo surgery in the next two weeks. It might slow down your central nervous system largely.
- You feel like vomiting. The scents of this oil can worsen it.
- You are consuming it. It can be poisonous. The remedy is only meant for external application and not for consumption.
- You are taking anti-depressants. It might make you sleepier because lavender causes relaxation; thus, making the medication effects stronger.
Passionflower has been found to reduce symptoms of stress as well as anxiety disorder by medical research. Scientifically known as, Passiflora incarnta, passionflower might offer relief from health issues like insomnia and nervousness. It boosts the brain and eliminates the chemical named GABA (known to lower the brain activity). Also, it aids in a healthy, good night sleep. During a research, participants who consumed passionflower herbal tea for more than 7 days experienced improvements in their sleep quality. But, the benefits turned out to be of short-term; hence, it may be highly useful to people, who have mild sleep problems. Follow the steps given below to try a remedy using passionflower.
- Step 1: Take a half tablespoon of dried passionflower leaves and one cup of water.
- Step 2: Take a small bowl and mix the ingredients listed above.
- Step 3: Allow the mixture to boil over medium heat and then allow it to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Step 4: Finally, pour the mixture into a large tea mug after straining the tea and sip slowly.
How Does This Work?
There are many flavonoids, which can reduce stress and anxiety disorder, but two of the primary components are chrysin and benzoflavone. These two enhance the level of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the human brain. They limit the excitability of the neurons and give a calming effect.
Passionflower Is Not Good, If:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding a baby.
- You are on medication for surgery. This flower can disrupt the central nervous system, and complications may arise in anesthesia. Stop using this method two weeks before surgery.
Labelled as the wonder her, Ginseng is well admired to ward off simple ailments. It can also assist in reducing the pangs of anxiety disorder and stress. There are eleven species of this herb, all of which belong to the family called Araliaceae. Ginseng is referred to both Asian/Korean ginseng (scientific name: Panax ginseng and American ginseng (scientific name: Panax quinquefolius). Ginseng helps in stimulating the brain cells while improving concentration as well as cognitive activities. According to various clinical studies, there are many pieces of evidence that demonstrate that taking ginseng roots every day for twelve weeks recovers the mental performance in Alzheimer patients. However, it is one of the best home remedies for stress. Just drink this herbal tea three times per week to eliminate the negative feelings.
- Step 1: Wash the ginseng roots thoroughly and cut it into small pieces.
- Step 2: Crush the pieces, and add to a bowl of water.
- Step 3: Boil the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Step 4: Strain the mixture and drink as many times a day.
How Does This Work?
Ginseng helps in boosting the immune system. The main medicinal properties of American and Asian ginseng are ginsenosides and eletherosides in Siberian ginseng. It is best known as an adaptogen, thus making the body adapt to uneven situations.
Ginseng Is Not Good, If:
- You are taking medication for blood thinning. It could interfere with medicines such as warfarin.
16. Licorice Roots
Licorice roots have multiple medicinal uses both in Western and Eastern herbal medicines. It benefits the body in various ways. However, the most important characteristics of licorice roots are that it supports adrenal glands. Since adrenal burnout (or adrenal exhaustion) is due to chronic stress – it further leads to low energy. However, supplementing the body with adequate amounts of licorice roots can be of great help. This root assists in making the body respond to uneven situations. Besides adrenal glands, it can also normalize the blood sugar levels. Some even claim that licorice can stimulate cerebrospinal fluids, cranial fluids, and calms the mind. How far this is true is still unknown. As a soothing tonic, drink it warm as in tea.
- Step 1: Take half cup chopped dry licorice root and one cup of water.
- Step 2: Take a large bowl and mix the ingredients listed above.
- Step 3: Make sure you mix them thoroughly.
- Step 4: Allow the mixture to boil over medium heat and then allow it to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Step 5: Finally, pour the mix into a large tea mug after straining the tea and sip slowly.
How Does This Work?
Everybody knows that adrenal glands secrete cortisol in stress situations. Large amounts of this hormone can promote depression, chronic fatigue, and low resistance levels when responding to infections and allergens. Asparagine amino acid in licorice roots possesses the ability to maintain the equilibrium of the nervous system. One cup of licorice tea may be enough for reducing symptoms of nervousness, stress, depression, and anxiety disorder.
Licorice Roots Are Not Good, If:
- You are pregnant. Consumption of more than 250 grams a week can cause a premature delivery.
- You have a history of high blood pressure. Licorice can make your BP shoot to high levels.
- You have a heart problem. The medicinal root can make the body store excess water, and you might suffer a congestive heart failure.
15. Wood Betony (Stachys Officinalis)
Wood Betony is a member of the mint family. It is widely grown in China, Europe, India, United States, and other parts of Asia. It blooms gorgeous purple flowers. The benefits of wood betony are many. It effectively treats nerve pain, diabetic problems, headache, stress, anxiety disorder, migraines, low blood pressure, GI problems, etc. Too much of positivity in the body can also get you a headache or in a stressful situation because your body is packed with cortisol. However, this herb assists in bringing back the human body to normalcy.
- Step 1: Take two teaspoons of the dried herb and one glass of water.
- Step 2: Mix them both and boil for ten minutes.
- Step 3: Steep the mixture and consume it slowly.
How Does This Work?
The main components are tannins, flavonoids, alkaloids, and saponins. Also, it contains betaine, harpagide, rosmaricnic acid, betulinic acid and chlorogenic acid. The acids in wood betony relax muscles in the body, stimulate the nervous system and bring about the calming effect. The blood circulation is increased in the entire body. Some of the important alkaloids to make marks are trigonelline and stachydrine.
Wood Betony Is Not Good, If:
- You have low blood pressure. The blood pressure might become very low.
- You have to undergo surgery. Before two weeks of surgery, stop using this herb in all forms.
14. Slippery Elm (Ulmus Fulva)
One of the best ways to reduce stress is with the help of Slippery Elm herb. The magical part of the slippery elm tree is the bark, which has been the favorite of Native Americans for centuries too. Enriched with vital nutrients like iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, selenium, and vitamins (C, B1, B3, and B2), slippery elm gives a healthy boost to the nervous system. The bark of this plant assists in soothing and coating all the mucous membranes. If you are one of those, whose stomach is always stressed, then slippery elm does a great help.
- Step 1: Mix one teaspoon of this herb with three ounces of water.
- Step 2: Add this mixture to a bowl of boiling water, stirring all the time.
- Step 3: You can drink two to three cups daily.
- Note: Do not add any additive to the mixture.
How Does This Work?
It is packed with nutrients, such as iron, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, calcium, magnesium and essential vitamins such as Vitamins B1, B2, C, and B3. It has all the essential components for the nervous system to get a boost. This process works well for those who often complain about “Butterflies in their stomach.” The mucilage in the bark soothes and coats all the vital membranes such as the digestive tract.
Slippery Elm Is Not Good, If:
- You are taking oral medication. The effectiveness of the medicine will reduce due to the mucilage lining of the tract and absorption will be minimal. You can prevent by taking slipper elm one hour after medication.
13. Evening Primrose Oil
The natural oil of evening primrose is claimed to be one of the most astounding preventive discoveries after vitamin C. It has a natural pain-relieving compound called phenylalanine, which is increasingly being employed for treating chronic headaches. According to experts, this herb can treat aging problems, acne, alcoholism, hyperactivity in kids, menopause symptoms, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, obesity, weight control, schizophrenia, and PMS. It also has many therapeutic and preventive properties. This herb is known for reducing symptoms of depression, elimination of long-term nervous tension, anxiety disorder, etc. Hence, to try this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: The herb is available in oil form or capsules.
- Step 2: If you are using oil, you need to massage your head or body (whichever part is stressed) and leave for 30 minutes. Have a nice hot water bath after that. It relaxes the body.
- Note: Seek the advice of your GP before use.
How Does This Work?
It contains a special type of omega six essential fatty acid (gamma-linoleic acid or GLA). Some of the other acids presents are oleic acid (p-coumaric acid, glutamine, beta-linoleic Acid), Amino acids (tyrosine, lysine, arginine, glycine, and histamine) and Vitamins (Ascorbic acid). Since omega-6 acids are essential in the transmission of neurons, it is effective in reducing symptoms of stress. The Omega-6 assists in providing energy protect body tissues and regulate body temperature. Another compound present and used for the treatment of chronic headaches is phenylalanine.
Evening Primrose Is Not Good, If:
- You are suffering from epilepsy or seizure disorders. You should not take this herb.
- You are taking medication for mental illness such as Thorazine ® (chlorpromazine), Mellaril ® (thioridazine) and Prolixin ® (fluphenazine).
12. Lady’s Slipper
Scientifically known as Cypripedium Pubescens, Lady’s Slipper belongs to the family of Orchidaceae. It is an extremely rare orchid (perennial) and is native to North America (East). It has multiple stems covered by lance-shaped, broad leaves. The flower is golden-yellow color, which usually blooms during late summer. Sadly, it is on the verge of extension. As per the medical research, this herb can restore a human body to the normal working condition if it is suffering from exhaustion, migraines, stressed nervous system, anxiety disorder, etc. To try the remedy, here is what you need to do:
- Step 1: Ground about five teaspoons of ground rootstock. Take one pint of water.
- Step 2: Steep the root in boiling water for one hour.
- Step 3: Take one teaspoon at a time.
How Does This Work?
Lady’s Slipper is useful for the treatment of muscle cramps, spasms, and epilepsy. It is said to contain tannins, glucosides, resins (volatile oils).
Lady’s Slipper Is Not Good, If:
- You are pregnant. Stay on the safe side and avoid using this herb.
11. Chamomile Tea
It is well known that chamomile has a very subtle and soothing fragrance, which is clinically proven to have natural healing effects when applied to the skin. However, it can perform more than that. It has rich flavonoids to aid in digestion. Also, it has anti-inflammatory properties to protect the body from further infections. One of its flavonoids called luteolin helps in improving a plethora of health conditions. In fact, it acts as an anti-spasmodic and pain reliever. So, the next time you face that jittery moment or stress, just have few sips of chamomile tea to return to normal. To try the remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Take two teaspoons of chamomile flowers and one bowl of water.
- Step 2: Boil the water for ten minutes; let it become warm.
- Step 3: Steep the mixture and then consume it.
How Does This Work?
Glycine, an amino acid in the urine can easily relieve the cramps and muscle spasms. It also contains proteins that can act as a natural muscle relaxant. Thanks to the flavonoid — luteolin and apigenin. The first gives benefits such as pain relief, reduction of fever and returning the body to normal condition. The second one acts as a sedative and reducing the symptoms of stress and anxiety disorder.
Chamomile Tea Is Not Good, If:
- You have a history of being allergic to pollens, chrysanthemums, asters and other family members of Asteraceae.
- You are using cyclosporine or warfarin. They both have a narrow therapeutic index.
10. Handle Your Emotions Effectively
There can be situations where you may feel that the control is slipping out of your hand, but as the wise men say “In the case of adverse circumstances, say the words carefully” – in other words, handle the response perfectly. Management of stress is more about standing on your legs and taking control of the thoughts, emotions, schedule, and the environment. The best part will come when you deal with problems, or shall we say ‘challenges’? The best stress management can be described as those in which you can control a situation, immediate change of response and reaction if you have to, at the same time maintaining the self-dignity, prioritizing the relevant tasks and choosing the best time for relaxation.
9. Do Some Exercises
Regular participation in any physical activity will reduce stress, especially if it involves moving all the parts of the body, if not, only the hands and legs. There are various options you can choose from. To name a few walking, running, swimming, enrolling in an aerobic class or perhaps, joining a dance class such as ‘salsa’. You can also join a self-defense class such as Aiki Jujitsu or Kickboxing. The working of all parts of the body can bring back the stressed body parts to normal.
How Does This Work?
Any physical activity increases the sleep, which has been affected by depression, stress or anxiety disorder. It increases circulation of blood all over the body thus reducing signs of fatigue, enhances concentration and alertness. One of the major disadvantages of stress is the energy is depleted, and you suffer from fatigue. The body absorbs the oxygen more and in turn; the brain produces more endorphins – the ‘best’ neurotransmitters that act as painkillers. Also, when doing physical activities such as martial arts, you tend to concentrate on the techniques and body movements that increase the focus as well contribute to the production of more energy and confidence. The stress-producing hormones, adrenaline and cortisol, are reduced in number due to physical activity.
Exercises Are Not Good, If:
- You have a heart problem. Have a discussion with the doctor and then decide on the course of physical activity. You can select Tai Chi (the Chinese martial art or opt for yoga classes).
- You are diabetic. Do not go for long runs, because you can suffer from dizziness.
8. Have Healthy Social Interactions
When you are not able to prioritize your day-to-day tasks, you will not be able to solve the challenges. Moreover, lack of time might force you to become lonely. Talking with a close friend face-to-face can assist various parts of the body to become calm and regain the lost state of balance. A chat with words spoken from the heart has been found to release hormones that can decrease stress even if you cannot control the situation. Always remember, sharing is not a sign of weakness, but it also depends on the individual whom you have selected. It has been seen, that friends and relatives tend to become closer if they find that they are a part of your inner circle, and the bonds will be strengthened.
How Does This Work?
When you are interacting with a near relative or a close friend, the love hormone called as ‘oxytocin’ is released which reduces the production of cortisol, the stress-producing hormone. Oxytocin has also been found effective in reducing blood pressure and promotes healing and growth of cells.
7. Consume Oats During Breakfast
Oats are a good source of complex carbohydrates, which helps the brain to generate serotonin, (a chemical that makes a person feel happy and good). Serotonin not only exhibits antioxidant properties but also gives a very soothing feeling to overcome stress. According to various clinical studies, kids who consume a healthy oatmeal breakfast remain sharper all through the morning. Also, another soluble fiber in oatmeal, known as beta-glucan has been proven to encourage satiety scores. The best way is to use oats as a supplement in bread recipes or desserts. You can also have them for breakfast.
- Step 1: Take 3 (three) cups of water and one cup of steel oats. (also a pinch of salt).
- Step 2: Put the three in a bowl, and simmer for twenty minutes. Take care to stir the mixture.
- Step 3: Allow it to cool down. Have the oatmeal.
How Does This Work?
Oats are high in fiber and low in cholesterol, but they can assist in calming off the nerves. The carbohydrates in oats promote the production of the feel-good hormone known as ‘serotonin’, which helps in soothing the ‘excited’ nerves. Also, oats also have other medicinal ingredients that perform the same function of the above-mentioned hormone (silicon, vitamins A and B). The immune system is also revitalized due to the presence of Vitamins B1, B2, E, D, alkaloids, minerals, and carotene.
Oats Are Not Good, If:
- You have recently fixed dentures. It is better to avoid oats in the diet. If you have not chewed oats, they can block the intestine.
- You are suffering from disorders of the digestive tract as the intestines, stomach, and oesophagus. This could lead to more time for the food to be broken and indigestion can lead to blockages in the intestine.
- Your body might suffer from iron deficiency. Oat bran can reduce the absorption of iron.
- You are allergic to oats. You can suffer from gas and frequency of defecation.
6. Peppermint Leaves
Peppermint has some amazing beauty and health benefits. Right from your hair tips to your toe ends, peppermint is highly beneficial. However, when it comes to stress-related problems, peppermint is truly a great herb. According to an article published in Organic Facts, these green leaves have amazing healing powers to help relieve stress and anxiety disorder. The menthol content in this herb acts as a muscle relaxant. Hence, it is one of the best methods to relieve stress & anxiety disorder. Just follow the below steps and drink peppermint tea before going to sleep.
- Step 1: Take a cup of boiling water and one tbsp of peppermint leaves.
- Step 2: Add a drop of honey. Drink the mixture before going to bed.
- Note: This activity should be the last before you go to bed.
How Does This Work?
Peppermint has menthol, methyl acetate, and menthone that gives relaxation to the muscles and helps in reduction of anxiety disorder.
Peppermint Is Not Good, If:
- You are suffering from diarrhea. You could suffer from anal burning.
- You are diabetic. Check with your doctor before you use this remedy for stress.
- You are taking medications such as cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune).
5. Green Tea
If you are someone, who regularly performs yoga, exercises, or indulges in a few minutes of meditation, calm might allude you. Rather than getting that’s same old direction of Xanax from your doctor, preferably a healthy alternative to relax. Get few herbs and sip a delicious cup of tea. People of China, India, Japan, and Thailand, have regularly used green tea not only as a refreshing drink but also to combat stress. As per the medical science, green tea can enhance the oral as well as cardiovascular health and prevent Alzheimer’s disease. Green tea has multiple health benefits.
How Does This Work?
The tea ingredients consist of antioxidants such as catechins, flavonoids, and polyphenols. Combined, they give a calm effect on both body and mind. The best medicinal ingredient is theanine, which can enhance relaxation, concentration by stimulating the creation of brain waves called alpha waves. Theanine also alters the levels of neurotransmitters in the brain like dopamine and serotonin. Black tea can also be used for effective treatment of stress & anxiety disorder. The benefits are found to be more in individuals if they do not have habits such as smoking or drinking alcohol.
The main medicinal ingredients in green tea that can remove physical and mental fatigue are epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), epicatechin (EC), epigallocatechin (EGC) and epicatechin gallate (ECG). All the four are polyphenols.
Green Tea Is Not Good, If:
- You are suffering from anaemia. The condition will worsen.
- You have a bleeding disorder. Refrain from drinking green tea.
- You are on medication and taking amphetamines.
Blueberries can be relished either as a sweet snack or as a part of the diet in a fruit salad. They are best used in muffins and desserts. Whether you are consuming blueberries in your daily diet or drinking as fresh juice, they are one of the best home remedies for stress and anxiety disorder. They have high amounts of anthocyanin (an antioxidant), which have been associated with many positive health results, even including sharp cognition. All berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries) are enriched with vitamin C; hence, they are one of the best foods to deal with stress.
How Does This Work?
Similar to green tea, blueberries are also rich in antioxidants that can decrease various levels of stress & anxiety disorder. Also, they also consist of Vitamin C, E along with minerals such as manganese and magnesium. Another advantage of having blueberries is that it has been found effective in handling insomnia, depression and any disorders (mood) which can contribute or trigger stress. The stress situation is produced by cortisol and the Vitamin C in the body is reduced. The Vitamin C and antioxidants in blueberries reduce the levels of cortisol and keep the blood pressure normal.
Berries Are Not Good, If:
- You are diabetic. Blueberries can reduce the blood sugar levels.
- You are opting for surgery. The berries might alter the blood sugar levels.
- You are taking medications for blood thinning.
3. Basil Leaves
Holy Basil belongs to the Labiatae family and holds a rich history. It is native to Asia, however, is widely seen in many tropical regions around the world. According to experts, this herb is known to have been used by ancient Indians since 3000 years. This herb has the power to heal many health ailments. Hence, stress is no exception. It treats cold, cough, ringworms, malaria, hepatitis, fever, flu, diabetes, stomachache, tuberculosis, anxiety disorder, earache, asthma, etc. Well, everybody knows that stress is about the hormone ‘cortisol’ and the imbalances in the body. The holy basil leaves can assist the human body in restoring this balance.
- Step 1: Take 12 basil leaves and chew them twice a day.
- Step 2: Chew it slowly; you can get a burn in the mouth. In the course of time, the burn will subside.
How Does This Work?
These leaves are known for their anti-stress and powerful adaptogen properties. They also possess the ability to eliminate free radicals, which can be produced in multiple amounts during these stress episodes.
The basil herb leaves contain rich amount of orientin & vicenin (polyphenolic flavonoids). The main health beneficial oils in this herb are eugenol, linalool, terpineol, limonene and citral (all these compounds are well known for their anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties). The inflammation will be reduced, and the bacteria and virus will be killed.
Basil Leaves Are Not Good, If:
- You are pregnant, basil and its supplements should be avoided.
- Basil is taken in oil form; it can prove carcinogenic in some individuals. In its natural form, basil is considered a natural herb.
2. Chiretta and Cloves
Chiretta: Chiretta is an annual herb, commonly known as the king of bitters. It has pale green flowers with a pinch of purple shade in them. The leaves are light green and bitter to taste. The medicine is richly known for its medicinal properties not just from recent times but also from times immemorial. It has been mentioned in the Chinese medicines and used in Ayurveda. It is recommended in case of panic attacks or convulsions, as it is believed to calm down the stress.
Cloves: Cloves are brown spices, which have been medicinally so precious that once upon a time they were traded for their weight in gold. They taste bitter and pungent and are widely used in Indian cuisine as a spice for flavor; even a few clove buds are enough. They add a spicy flavor to your food and they aid in digestion and fight infections at the same time. To try the remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Take an equal amount of cloves and chiretta.
- Step 2: Boil them in water for a few minutes and then strain it through a filter.
- Step 3: Eat this leftover paste to relieve some stress
How Does This Work?
This concoction is one of the natural ways to relieve stress. Cloves have aphrodisiac and stimulant properties that help reduce stress. The smell of the cloves is so strong that even if you sniff a few of them, it can reduce drowsiness and irritability. It also effectively cures a headache, stimulating the mind, relieving mental tiredness, and stimulating the mind to get back its energy.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- You are pregnant.
- You are consuming in high doses. It can cause nausea, vomiting, and palpitation.
- You are suffering from gastric or duodenal ulcers. Avoid this herb. Also. It is better to take this herb once you consult a qualified practitioner.
1. Tinospora Cardifolia Stalk and Milk
Tinospora Cardifolia Stalk: It is also known as heart leaves moonseed probably because of its shape. It is widely found in India, Myanmar, and Sir Lanka. In Ayurveda, it is also considered as one of the most divine herbs as it can treat many diseases. For stress & anxiety disorder management, the stalk of this plant is of utmost importance. It also helps reduce unconsciousness.
Milk: Milk is considered as complete food. It has calcium, protein, vitamins, etc. you name it, and milk has it ready for you, which is also easy to consume. To try the remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Take some Tinospora Cardifolia leaves, clean and boil it with water.
- Step 2: Filter it.
- Step 3: Add milk and sugar to it, as per your taste. Drink it.
How Does This Work?
Tinospora Cordifolia has anti-toxic chemicals, which flush out the toxins from your body. Milk has protein lactium that has a relaxing effect on your blood pressure. It effectively lowers the blood pressure, reducing your tension. The potassium in the milk can help relieve muscle spasms and thereby suppressing all the tension and anxiety disorder.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- You are diabetic. It lowers blood sugar levels.
How To Prevent Stress & Anxiety Disorder?
Well, things do get out of your control, and they are bound to cause you some stress. However, you should never let this stress burden your mind. There are simple tricks and natural remedies for stress and anxiety disorder prevention. Stay hydrated. Drink a lot of water. One must at least drink 8 ounces of water every day to detoxify the body and also to relax the mind and cool down your body. A healthy mind resides in a healthy body, so it is important for you to keep your body healthy. Regular exercise also helps keep your mind fresh and active. Fortnightly body massage or at least a weekly head massage helps you relax. This, of course, does not solve the cause of your stress, but it does keep your ready to tackle the problem. Also, take up a hobby to divert the attention from things that cause stress.
Motivations speakers emphasize the four factors to deal with stress & anxiety disorder:
- Avoid: Unnecessary stress should be avoided. Agreed, not all can be, but it is better to say the word ‘no’; it is also advisable to determine between ‘is it needed’ and ‘must.’ Everyone has a right to live in this world. It is better to have friendships with jovial persons instead of having conversations with ‘every time cries.’
- Alter: Try to modify the situation. If you cannot avoid a stressful one, try to modify so that you can control. ‘Fortune favors the brave’ – meet matters head-on. It is wise to be a human being with self-respect than to let others take advantage of you which can lead to stress and housing of negative feelings. In this method, sometimes, you have to meet others half-way and convey the concerns, so be prepared.
- Adapt: Change yourself as per the requirements of the situation. Remember the proverb ‘Be a Roman in Rome’ – if you cannot change or give a solution, change yourself. Take some time, look at challenges (not problems) in a new outlook, and concentrate on the positive things in life. Try to look at the result – do not concentrate on short-term gains and long-term loss. When you are looking at things from a new angle, you can get the question “ Is this challenge worth worrying about.?”
- Accept: Kindly accept that there are some situations and conditions which are not under your control. You can suffer defeat and hold your dignity. There are times when your self-respect can take a beating; it is better to stay calm than react and making it more complicated. Be an optimist – The worst insults can be a blessing in disguise – it can give you the best lessons on how far you can handle stress. The bottom line – nobody, is perfect.
When To See A Doctor?
You should seek the services of a doctor if:
- You face extreme stress and suffer from depression
- Turn to alcohol and drugs
- Suffer from unwanted fears
- Get feelings of becoming obese when you have normal body weight
- Have to change eating habits
- Family members report changes in moods or behavior.
- Engage in self-harm acts such as mutilation.
- You suffer from simple ailments such as irritable bowels, muscle pain, severe headache.
- Stress leads to triggering other disorders such as eczema.
A family physician will be the best one to determine if your stress is because of a medical condition, anxiety disorder or both. He can refer you to a suitable medical professional. Many therapies are used to prevent and treat stress and anxiety disorder such as cognitive behavioral therapy, biofeedback, hypnosis, etc.
Natural Remedy vs. Pharmacy
Some of the common medicines are benzodiazepines – Xanon (Alprzolam), diazepam (Valium), clonazepam (Klonopin) and triazolam (Halcion). Medicines are also found in the type of beta-blockers such as Tenormin (atenolol) and Inderal (propranolol).