Typhoid is a debilitating disease that can leave a person drained of energy. It is caused due to bacterial infection caused by the Salmonella Typhi bacteria. The bacteria is spread due to water or food contamination. Typhoid can cause severe diarrhea or constipation and may also cause high fever along with chills and delirium. There are several effective home remedies for typhoid fever that can help.
Note: In advanced cases, immediate medical attention is a must. Else, it leads to complications.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Salmonella Typhi bacteria or Salmonella paratyphi bacteria
- Symptoms: High fever, Fatigue and weakness, headache, sweating, joint aches, weight loss
10 Home Remedies For Typhoid Fever That Help
Typhoid is a dangerous illness that can turn fatal if left undetected and untreated. There are several home remedies for typhoid fever, and here are the 10 best:
10. Babul Bark Tea
- Boil 2 tablespoons (30 g) of Babul bark powder with 2 glasses of water.
- Allow it to steep for 20 minutes. Add a teaspoon of black pepper powder.
- Drink the mixture when it is warm. Continue for a few days.
Babul tree bark (Vachellia nilotica) also known as gum Arabic tree and is a medicinal tree that has been used to treat several illnesses. The bark of the Babul tree contains compounds like androstene steroid, D-pinitol, gallic acid and rutin. It has been used for treating mouth ulcers and bleeding in the gums. Babul bark tea is one of the best home remedies for typhoid fever.
While there are no known side effects of Babul bark, excessive consumption can lead to constipation and stomach upsets.
9. Guava Tree Flowers
- Grind 5 – 7 fresh flowers of Guava tree into a fine paste.
- Take a glass of goat’s milk (do not boil).
- Mix the guava flower paste in the milk.
- Drink the mixture twice daily for a week.
Guava tree flowers have medicinal properties and have been used for treating colds and coughs. The flowers help remove the congestion (mucus) in the nasal canal. The flowers are antimicrobial and help keep the respiratory tract, throat and lungs free of viral infections. Guava tree flowers make a great home remedy for Typhoid fever.
Guava fruits are safe to eat and free of side effects. Guava flowers also are free of side effects, however it is important that the dosage is not exceeded.
8. Bitter Gourd Leaves
- Take a bunch of fresh bitter gourd leaves.
- Squeeze the leaves and extract the juice.
- Mix it in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this mixture two to three times daily.
- Repeat the process for a week or 10 days.
Bitter gourd leaf juice has been used for treating various illnesses. The leaves are rich in proteins, vitamins & minerals and have been used for treating common colds and fever. The juice is also effective in treating Typhoid fever and fever arising out of Malaria infection as well. Bitter gourd leaf juice is one of the best home remedies that give the answer to the question “how to treat typhoid?”
While bitter gourd leaf juice has no known side effects, excessive use can cause flatulence and loosen the bowels leading to heavy purging.
7. Lemon Juice
- Cut a fresh lemon in two halves. Squeeze the juice.
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey and mix it in a glass of water.
- Drink the juice daily for two weeks.
Lemon is very rich in Vitamin C and has many other minerals that help the body. Lemon is an excellent disinfectant and helps alkalize the gastrointestinal tract and fortifies it. Moreover, lemon juice can boost the immune system and help fight Typhoid attack effectively. Lemon juice is an excellent natural home remedy for typhoid.
While lemon does not have any major side effects, it should be avoided by people with sensitive stomachs as it has a low pH level. It can aggravate ulcers and cause tooth erosion, and cause kidney problems if consumed in excess.
- Take a handful of raisins. Soak them in cold water overnight.
- Eat the soaked raisins in the morning.
- Repeat the process daily for a couple of weeks.
Raisins are an excellent tonic for the body. Raisins help fight Typhoid infection and have the power to destroy the germs causing Typhoid fever. Consuming raisins regularly helps boost the immunity system and help the body fight against invading bacteria. Raisins make one of the best home remedies for Typhoid.
While raisins do not have any known side effects, excess consumption can cause flatulence and vomiting. Some people may be allergic to grapes and raisins, such people should not take this remedy.
5. Pomegranate Juice
- Take 2 ripe pomegranates. Remove the skin and extract the juice.
- Add a teaspoon of black pepper powder. Drink the mixture in the morning.
- Repeat the process for a couple of weeks.
Pomegranate juice is very helpful in energizing the body and helps in preventing dehydration caused by an attack of Typhoid. It gives instant energy and helps boost the immunity levels and fight the bacteria that attack the human body. Pomegranate juice is one of the best home remedies for typhoid fever.
Pomegranate juice does not cause any side effects. People taking medicine for high blood pressure need to be cautious as pomegranate juice can cause hypotension or low blood pressure. Also, those with a history of Asthma should not take this remedy.
4. Echinacea Petal Powder
- Boil 1 teaspoon of Echinacea Petal powder in a glass of water.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes. Strain and drink after it cools.
- Repeat the process for a week or 10 days.
Echinacea petal powder is an excellent antibacterial agent that helps fight the bacteria getting into the blood stream and invading the body. Moreover, Echinacea petal powder helps boost the immunity system and helps strengthen the tissues in the body. Echinacea petal powder is one of the best home remedies for typhoid fever.
Consuming Echinacea extract orally does not cause any side effects. However, when applied topically it may cause skin irritation and redness and itchiness.
3. Tender Coconut Water + Buttermilk
- Take a glass of fresh Tender Coconut water.
- Take a glass of watery Buttermilk.
- Mix both and drink regularly for a couple of weeks.
Tender coconut is very energizing and contains several minerals like potassium, calcium, copper, iron, sulphur and chlorides as well as electrolytes. Tender coconut water also has amino acids and other nutrients that help boost the immunity system and fight infections. Drinking tender coconut prevents dehydration. Buttermilk boosts calcium intake and reduces fat. Further, it helps lower cholesterol levels. Tender coconut and buttermilk make one of the best home remedies for Typhoid fever.
There are no known side effects caused by either tender coconut water or buttermilk.
2. Freshly Made Carrot Soup
- Take 5-6 fresh carrots. Wash, peel and dice the carrots.
- Steam boil the carrots. Mash them in a food processor.
- Add some water and allow to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 teaspoons of black pepper powder.
- Drink 1-2 glasses daily for a couple of weeks.
Carrots belong to the Apiaceae family. They are rich in antioxidants like beta carotene and help decrease the risk of heart disease. Carrots are also rich in Vitamin A, minerals and antioxidants. Consuming carrot soup regularly helps boost the immune system and fight against infections. Carrot soup is one of the best home remedies for Typhoid fever.
Carrots do not cause any known side effects and are safe to consume. However, excess consumption of carrot soup is not advised.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix 2 teaspoons of undiluted Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of warm water.
- Drink it on an empty stomach. Continue the process daily for a week or 10 days.
Apple cider vinegar is very rich in antioxidants. Moreover, apple cider vinegar is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent and a great antimicrobial agent as well, and helps keep the gastrointestinal tract free of infections. Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for Typhoid fever.
Apple cider vinegar does not have any known side effects. Consuming too much of apple cider vinegar may cause frequent urination, which is merely a discomfort.
See a doctor immediately if:
- The fever is very high and does not subside with medication.
- There is fatigue and a feeling of weakness.
- You experience severe abdominal pains.