Did you know that deficiency of vitamins could give rise to countless health disorders? Though there are numerous of them, today we will focus on telling about pellagra.
This ailment is usually found in poor countries who suffer from lack of nutritious diet. The name comes from the Italian words – ‘pelle’ means skin and ‘agra’ means rough. Pellagra can be best defined as the four D’s:
- Dementia, and
No matter what the sickness is, there is always a solution. Listed here are some home remedies for pellagra too. Before we list them to you, let’s look at its causes, symptoms, and precautions first.
Causes of Pellagra
Pellagra can be classified into two types:
- The primary pellagra occurs because of an insufficient amount of tryptophan or niacin in the diet (mainly found in poor countries).
- Secondary pellagra– Niacin is present in the diet, but the two major factors for metabolism absorption and processing are absent. Causes include – liver cirrhosis, gastrointestinal diseases like ulcerative colitis, prolonged diarrhea, alcohol abuse, gastrointestinal disease, carcinoid tumors, HIV/AIDS and anorexia. Excess intake of leucine-based foods (soybeans, seafood, beans, ) can also lead to symptoms of pellagra.
- Mental confusion
- Nausea (on rare occasions)
- Mucous membranes become inflamed
- Red rashes on the arms, neck, hands or face. In future, the rashes may turn into scales and start peeling over
- Burning sensation or irritation
- Sensitivity to sunlight
- Irregular moods or aggression
- Alopecia (loss of hair), dermatitis
- Inflammation of tongue (glossitis)
If left untreated, the disease can turn fatal and may end in death.
15 Best Home Remedies For Vitamin B3 Deficiency
So, with the help of tips listed below, you will be easily able to overcome vitamin B3 deficiency or Niacin deficiency.
15. Drink Orange Juice
When an individual suffers from pellagra, a common symptom he or she will always experience is “dullness or weakness” throughout the day. However, it can be improved gradually with the intake of protein-based foods. Though many food sources are rich in protein, fresh orange juice is something that many health experts recommend. So, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Take 3 to 4 fresh oranges.
- Step 2: Slice each orange into half and then squeeze into a clean glass.
- Step 3: You can even use a juicer for this, in case you want less pulp.
- Step 4: Strain and drink it. Do not add sugar or any other artificial flavor. Consume it natural.
How Does This Work?
Protein is one of the best sources to improve your immune system. Enriched with vitamin C, oranges help reduce weakness from the body and improve stamina at the same time. However, the best benefit about fresh oranges is their healing properties. They contain flavonoids like hesperidin and naringenin, which are well known for their anti-inflammatory effects.
According to whfoods, oranges are a great source of vitamin B3 (niacin) as well. They help absorb iron into the blood stream. That is why most health experts and doctors recommend anemic patients to intake orange (raw or juice) on a daily basis.
Oranges Are Not Good, If:
- You suffer from abdominal cramps.
- You have a stomach ulcer. The citric acid in oranges can worsen the condition.
- You have diarrhea.
- You suffer from heartburn, frequent headaches, and insomnia.
14. Include Multiple Vitamin B3 Rich Foods
Vitamin B3 can cure this illness. Consume foods like yeast, animal liver, rice bran, bacon, chicken, fish, and peanuts. If you are suffering from pellagra symptoms, you can have these foods with lunch, breakfast or dinner. The level of niacin will slowly build up, and you will be cured of the deficiency.
Also, to ensure that the American population is fed nutritious food, the fortification was started. This was mainly done to prevent deficiencies of trace elements, minerals, and vitamins. In other words, this process was mainly to:
- Replace any lost nutrients during the process of storage, manufacture, and handling of food
- Sustain nutrients in food
The process of fortifying wheat flour and maize meal with essential nutrients of riboflavin, niacin and thiamine were started in the United States in 1941 to reduce the outbreak of pellagra. Since then the process has been used as a standard practice.
13. Stay Hydrated
To overcome the symptoms of pellagra, drink plenty of water and natural fluids so that the toxins and free radicals are flushed out from the body. Inflammation may also be reduced to a great extent.
12. Eat Pumpkin Seeds & Spinach
The most common symptoms of this ailment are rough skin and fatigue. You can cure yourself if you include protein-based foods and orange juice on a daily basis. Some of the best protein foods are pumpkin seeds, almonds, spinach, broccoli, quinoa, asparagus, cauliflower, peanuts, oatmeals, etc. The best combination will be a salad of pumpkin seeds, spinach and orange juice in the morning as a dish. Always choose bright looking spinach leaves as they contain nourishing content. Vitamin C in spinach helps all the oxygen dependent phytonutrients to stay active and look vibrant. Here is a healthy recipe for you to try:
- Step 1: In a cooking bowl, boil (in medium heat) two tablespoons of pumpkin seeds with water. Cover the lid and heat for five minutes. Allow it to be
- Step 2: Similarly, clean the spinach to be included as an ingredient.
- Step 3: Mix the spinach in the bowl properly. For taste, you can add tomatoes and raisins.
How Does This Work?
Pumpkin seeds contain tryptophan, which can reduce depression. It also contains glutamate, the neurotransmitter, which can ease anxiety and other disorders. The other benefits are:
- They can be used as anti-parasites. In fact, they are widely used in China to kill roundworms and tapeworms.
- The magic component is phytosterol that can protect the bladder and prostate and prevent cancer.
- Doubt that you are suffering from kidney stones? Eating these seeds as a snack can help reduce the level of oxalates that can promote the formation of stones in the urine.
- The minerals, vitamins and nutrients present in pumpkin seeds are folic acid, thiamin, niacin, potassium, copper, zinc, and phosphorus.
The spinach in the salad contains Vitamin K, Vitamin A, lutein, niacin, manganese, iron, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and zeaxanthin. Vitamin K is responsible for the health of the nervous system and proper brain function. Vitamin A is needed for healthy eyes and for boosting immunity. It also has phytonutrients by name lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-carotene to provide you with antioxidants. The other medicinal components, is spinach also contains niacin, omega-3 fatty acids, selenium, pantothenic acid.
A regular intake of this salad or foods containing niacin can help you get rid of Vitamin B3 deficiency and ultimately, pellagra.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- You have a stomach problem. Pumpkin seeds can cause stomach pain if you eat more than the regular dose. Kindly have with other foods to nullify the side effects. If you are taking diuretic drugs, these seeds can aggravate the situation, and you will have to visit the bathroom many a time.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding a baby. Since no medical research has confirmed side effects, it is better to stay on the safe side and not having pumpkin seeds.
- You are having a kidney problem. Kindly do not take spinach, as it contains purines, which can be turned to uric acid by the processes of human If the number shoots up, you can end up having more kidney stones.
- You have excess spinach. A large amount can lead to diarrhea. You can have a glass of warm water to speed up the digestion process.
You can have almonds and oat bran as a dish. Follow the instructions given below:
- Step 1: Take two cups of oats along with a half bowl of almonds, blueberries, and milk.
- Step 2: Crush the almonds to small pieces and join with oats and milk.
- Step 3: Have a medium saucepan ready and cook the mixture over medium heat for five minutes.
- Step 4: Let the mixture become warm and you can then relish the food.
You will get relief from fatigue, and the toxins will be eliminated.
How Does This Work?
Having oats give you energy, protein, fat, carbohydrate, sugar in low content and dietary fiber. Some of the minerals presents are iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus. Among the vitamins present, thiamin, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin E, vitamin K, folate, and riboflavin occupy a prominent place. AHA (American Heart Association) has recommended the use of oats for cardiovascular diseases. Vitamin E can break complex substances (lipids) into simple compounds. Vitamin K assists in maintenance of bone health and can ward off diseases like cancer and Alzheimer’s disease and in this article case, pellagra.
The oats contain selenium, which can boost positivity-based moods and helps in maintaining strong bones. Phosphorus present in oats is helpful in digestion. Antioxidants are also in plenty but on the external layer of oats. They are sterols, flavonoids, and phytic acid.
The Almonds contain Vitamin E and magnesium – important for muscle and heart health. It contains many nutrients and fiber, which make you feel full.
Oats Are Not Good, If:
- You are on antipsychotic drugs, blood pressure medications, antacids, or laxatives. Interactions may happen due to the presence of manganese in almonds. Do not take almonds if your digestion system is weak. Or else, you can have almonds and substantiate with a lemon juice or other fruit juices for digestion.
- You are on dentures while taking oats. The oats have to be properly chewed for digestion. Undigested and unchewed oats can make way for digestion problems. Also, refrain from taking oats if you are affected by intestine, stomach and esophagus problems.