Vitiligo is a skin infliction that manifests as white patches on the skin. Unlike leucoderma, this skin disorder is curable by using certain herbal remedies. While the exact cause of Vitiligo is not known, it could be an autoimmune disease with the immune system turning against the body to attack its own vital parts and destroying melanocytes in the skin.
Most people develop Vitiligo while in their 20s but the infliction can strike at any age and affects all types of people, though people with dark skin are more prone. People suffering from hypothyroidism are more likely to get afflicted by Vitiligo than those who are not. There is a fair chance of inheriting this disease as it is hereditary in nature.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Hereditary, hypothyroidism, proneness to autoimmune diseases.
- Symptoms: Appearance of white patches in the armpits, groin, eyes, nostrils, navel, genitals, and hair turns gray early.
10 Best Home Remedies For Vitiligo Disease
Vitiligo is an embarrassing skin infliction that can leave a person mentally affected and make him or her lose self-confidence due to the change in appearance. It is curable and there are several effective home remedies for Vitiligo, and here are the 10 best:
10. Wild Duckweed
- Wash a bunch of fresh Duckweed leaves and grind to a fine paste.
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey and mix well.
- Take 2 teaspoons of this mixture after a meal.
- Continue the process twice daily for two weeks.
Duckweed (Spirodela polyrhiza) is also known as Lemna minor and is a medicinal herb that is found in abundance during summer. It is used extensively in the Chinese system of ancient medicine for treating various illnesses, especially skin afflictions. Known as Fu Ping in Chinese, this herb grows in small ponds. The herb is rich in flavonoids like luteolin and apigenin glycosides, diterpenes, polysaccharides, tannins and is rich in Vitamin B1, B2 and C. Duckweed is one of the best home remedies for Vitiligo disease.
Duckweed does not cause any known side effects and is safe to use.
9. Corylifolia (Bakuchi)
- Grind 2-3 teaspoons of Corylifolia seeds into a fine powder.
- Sprinkle a bit of water and make into a fine paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected parts. Expose to sunlight for 20 minutes after applying the paste. Repeat the process twice daily for a couple of weeks.
Corylifolia (Psoralea corylifolia) is also known as Bakuchi in Sanskrit. It is a medicinal herb that is used in the Ayurvedic system of medicine for treating various maladies. The seeds of this herb contain isopsoralen, psoralen, bavacholone, dehydroisopsoralidin, methyl 4-hydroxybenzoate, psoralidin and corylin. It has also been praised as one of the best anti-aging medicines that gives the skin a beautiful texture. Corylifolia is the best home remedy for Vitiligo.
While consuming Corylifolia internally in the exact dosage does not cause adverse side effects, exceeding the dosage causes diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. Topical application is quite safe.
8. Ginger & Red Clay
- Wash, peel and grate 2 fingers of fresh Ginger. Boil it with some water. Steep for 10 minutes. Strain and drink the decoction daily.
- Alternatively, take some ginger juice and red clay (equal parts). Make a paste.
- Apply this paste topically on the affected parts.
Ginger is a medicinal herb that boosts the blood circulation and helps fresh blood rush to the affected areas. This helps to flush the bacteria causing the infection. Mixing ginger juice with red clay and applying on the affected parts helps restore the skin to its original state and texture. Ginger and red clay make one of the best home remedies for Vitiligo disease.
Ginger does not have any adverse side effects. However, people with peptic ulcer should be cautious as ginger can cause irritation and a burning sensation. Red clay does not cause any side effects.
7. Basil (Tulsi) Leaves & Lime Juice
- Take a handful of fresh Basil Leaves. Wash the leaves and set aside.
- Grind the Basil leaves to a fine paste. Add a few drops of fresh lime juice.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas thrice daily.
- Continue the treatment on a long-term basis ( up to 6 months).
Basil is an amazing herb that has some excellent medicinal properties. Apart from being a great anti-inflammatory agent, it is one of the best anti-aging herbs that give great skin tone and help achieve a younger look. Moreover, the antiviral properties of Basil help fight against infections by boosting the immune system. When Basil leaves paste is mixed with fresh lime juice, the poultice helps boost the production of melanin, which is essential for protecting the skin. Basil leaves paste and fresh lime juice make one of the best remedies for Vitiligo.
Basil is a medicinal herb that has immense benefits and does not cause any known side effects and is safe to use.
6. Radish Seeds & Vinegar
- Grind 2 teaspoons of Radish seeds to a fine powder. Mix 2 teaspoons of vinegar to it and apply on the affected parts.
- Let it sit for a couple of hours. Wash with mild soap and dab dry.
- Continue the process daily for a couple of weeks.
Radish seeds and vinegar make a good combo for curing Vitiligo. Radish seeds are loaded with antioxidants which help the body protect itself against oxidation reactions. Radish seeds are also rich in Vitamin A, C and K which aid cell repair and regeneration. The iron content in radish helps enrich the blood to maintain healthy skin. Radish seeds and vinegar together make one of the best home remedies for Vitiligo.
Radish seeds do not cause any adverse side effects. Vinegar may cause some reactions for people with very sensitive skin.
5. Picrorhiza Kurroa
- Mix about 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of Picrorhiza Kurroa root powder in a glass of warm water.
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey to it. Drink this concoction daily for a couple of weeks.
Picrorhiza Kurroa is a herb with strong medicinal properties and is used in the Ayurvedic system of medicine for treating various afflictions. It is rich in chemical compounds like picrorhizin, kitkin, D-mannitol, glycosides, curcubitacin, steroids and vallic acid. This herb has amazing antioxidant properties and helps reduce platelet aggregation. It has antibacterial properties and has cathartic and anti-inflammatory actions. Picrorhiza Kurroa is one of the best natural home remedies for Vitiligo.
4. Turmeric Powder & Mustard Oil
- Mix 5-6 teaspoons of Turmeric Powder with 4-5 teaspoons of Mustard oil.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas. Let it sit for 2-3 hours.
- Wash with mild soap and dab dry. Continue this process daily for a month or so.
Turmeric powder is a natural antiseptic agent that has some amazing curative properties. It is also a powerful anti-inflammatory agent and has some great antioxidant properties as well. The curcumin content in Turmeric is what gives it the curative and healing properties. Similarly mustard oil also has amazing medicinal properties. Turmeric powder and mustard oil together make one of the best home remedies for Vitiligo.
Turmeric powder is a major cooking ingredient that is part of the cuisine of most cultures of the world. Turmeric powder and mustard oil do not have any adverse side effects and are safe to use.
3. Gingko Biloba Extract
- Get some Gingko Biloba Extract capsules.
- Take one capsule per day for a month or so.
- Continue the process until results show.
Gingko Biloba (Salisburia adiantifolia) extract is a Chinese herbal preparation that has some amazing health benefits. It boosts the circulation and helps improve the immunity system and makes it stronger. It also has cerebral-enhancing properties and has been recommended for treating dementia and Alzheimer’s because of its power to arrest declining memory and other issues due to poor circulation.Gingko Biloba helps cure Vitiligo over a period of time. Gingko Biloba is one of the best home remedies for Vitiligo.
2. Papaya Juice
- Wash, peel, and cut a medium sized, ripe Papaya. Remove the seeds.
- Cut into cubes and run through a mixer-blender to make juice.
- Drink this juice daily for a couple of weeks.
Papaya is known to possess excellent medicinal properties and its leaves have been used to treat Chikungunya and Dengue. It is an excellent antioxidant and is rich in carotene, Vitamin C and flavonoids. It also contains Vitamin B (folate and pantothenic acid) as well as minerals like magnesium. Drinking Papaya juice regularly and applying the ripened flesh on the affected parts topically help cure Vitiligo. Papaya is one of the best home remedies for Vitiligo.
Papaya has no known side effects and is safe to use. However, Papaya juice should not be given to pregnant women as it may induce contractions in the uterus and cause an abortion.
1. DIY Herbal Mixture
- Take a couple of Chamomile flowers, a couple of Calendula flowers and 4-5 Oregano leaves. Boil them with water for 10 minutes.
- Strain and allow it to cool down. Apply the mixture on the affected parts.
Chamomile flowers have great medicinal properties and have been used as skin wash and to treat wounds and ulcers. It has excellent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Calendula is an excellent natural antiseptic agent and an antimicrobial as well. Oregano leaves have been used successfully to treat acne and dandruff. This DIY mixture of Chamomile, Calendula and Oregano makes one of the best home remedies for Vitiligo.
Chamomile, Calendula and Oregano are natural organic herbs that do not cause any side effects, and are safe to use.
See a doctor immediately if:
- There is severe itching and burning sensation.
- If the infection seems to be spreading fast.
- If long-term medication has not helped cure the disorder.