Breast milk is very important for the baby’s nutrition and well-being. Nursing mothers need to keep this in mind and make sure their babies get enough breast milk in the crucial stages of growth. However, several mothers find to their dismay that the milk secreted in their breasts is woefully inadequate. This may be due to reasons like a recent illness, medication or birth-control pills, hormonal imbalances, inadequate nutrition, and gaps between feeds because of painful or cracked nipples. However, there is no need to lose hope as there are several effective home remedies to increase breast milk.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Illness, hormonal imbalances, nutrition deficiency, infrequent feeding, medication etc
- Symptoms: Baby not gaining weight proportionate to growth, baby not passing stools frequently, baby crying with hunger.
10 Home Remedies To Increase Breast Milk In Mothers
As breast milk helps the baby to build up its immune system to fight against various infections it is important to ensure that enough milk is available for the baby. There are several easy home remedies to increase breast milk, and here are the 10 best:
10. Coccinia indica + Garlic + Ghee (clarified butter)
- Wash and chop a bunch of fresh Coccinia indica leaves into small pieces.
- Take 3 to 4 pods of garlic. Wash and crush them.
- Heat some pure ghee (clarified butter) in a pan.
- Add the Coccinia indica leaves & garlic and fry for few minutes. Eat this mixture daily for a month or so.
Coccinia indica belong to the Curcurbitaceae family and is a medicinal plant. The leaves of the plant help in increasing breast milk. It is also good as an anti-diabetic and used to treat ringworm, sinus and urinary tract infections. Coccinia indica, along with garlic makes one of the best home remedies to increase breast milk.
Coccinia indica can decrease the blood sugar levels; hence diabetics under medication should consult a doctor before taking this remedy.
9. Licorice + Sugar + Milk
- Boil 2 teaspoons of Licorice root powder in a glass of milk. Steep for 10 minutes. Strain the mixture and a teaspoon of pure honey.
- Drink this mixture daily for a month or so.
Licorice is a herb that has many amazing medicinal properties. It is a natural anti-fungal agent and an effective demulcent because of its high mucilage content and aids smooth digestion. It is a hormone-friendly herb and helps regulate the adrenalin glands and reduces stress and blood pressure, which is congenial for increasing milk production in the breasts. Licorice is one of the best home remedies for increasing breast milk.
While licorice does not have any known side effects, it should not be administered on a long-term basis. Moreover, it is dangerous to exceed the dosage and should never be used for more than 4 weeks at a stretch.
8. Cumin Seeds + Jaggery
- Roast 2 teaspoons of Cumin seeds until you get the aroma.
- Allow to cool and powder the Cumin seeds. Take 4 teaspoons of Jaggery powder.
- Mix the roasted cumin seeds and eat daily. Continue the process for 2 to 3 weeks
Cumin seeds are very good as a digestive agent and very rich in iron content. It is an excellent remedy for lactating mothers and menstruating women as well as pregnant women. The presence of thymol in cumin activates the mammary glands and helps increase the production of milk in a lactating mother. Cumin is also rich in calcium which is required by lactating mothers to strengthen their bones. Cumin gives the best answer to the question how to increase breast milk?
While cumin is not known to have any major side effects, it can slow blood clotting. Hence people taking blood-thinning medication should avoid this remedy.
7. Erythrina Indica + Green Gram
- Take a bunch of fresh Erythrina Indica leaves and a handful of Green gram.
- Wash both and cook in a pot for 20 minutes.
- Eat the mixture daily for 2 to 3 weeks.
Erythrina indica, which is also known as the Indian coral tree belongs to the Fabaceae family. It is also known as Tiger’s Claw or Lenten tree. The leaves are loaded with alkaloids that have excellent anti-inflammatory properties. The leaves contain erysotrine, erysodine, erysovine, erysonine, Hypaphorine, spiromine alkaloids, and flavones. The leaves have the capacity to increase the production of milk and have been recommended for lactating mothers in the Ayurvedic system of medicine. Erythrina indica and green gram together make one of the best remedies for breast milk production.
Erythrina Indica does not have any known side effects. However, the dosage should not be exceeded and the remedy should not be used for prolonged periods of time.
6. Banyan Tree Root
- Boil 2 teaspoons of the Banyan tree root powder in a glass of milk.
- Steep for 10 minutes. Strain and add a teaspoon of pure honey.
- Drink the decoction daily for 2 weeks or more.
The Banyan tree, also known as the tree of knowledge and considered a sacred tree has many amazing medicinal properties. It has been used successfully to treat abscess, allergies, and even Alzheimer’s disease. It has antibacterial and antiarthritic properties and is an anodyne as well. The root of this amazing tree is recommended for enhancing the milk production in a lactating mother so that the baby gets sufficient nutrition. Banyan tree root is one of the best home remedies to increase breast milk.
There are no known side effects caused by Banyan tree root powder. However, it is advisable to use this remedy only on short term basis and consumption should not exceed for more than 30 days at a stretch.
5. Amaranthus Ganentions Vertristis
- Take a bunch of fresh Amaranthus Ganentions Vertristis. Wash and steam cook the leaves.
- Run the cooked greens in a mixer-blender.
- Add a teaspoon of pepper powder.
- Boil the mixture to make hot soup.
- Drink this soup daily for a month or so.
Amaranthus Ganentions Vertristis is cultivated as a leafy vegetable and has some amazing health benefits packed into it. The leaves of this plant are rich in nutrients, minerals and have high antioxidant properties. The leaves are also rich in phytosterols and have been recommended for improving digestive health. Amaranthus Ganentions Vertristis is one of the best home remedies to increase breast milk.
There are no known side effects caused by Amaranthus Ganentions Vertristis and the remedy is safe for pregnant women and lactating mothers as well.
4. Withania Somnifera Leaves
- Boil a bunch of fresh Withania Somnifera leaves (Ashwagandha) in 2 two glasses of water.
- Steep for 10 minutes. Strain and drink the decoction daily. Continue the process for 2 to 3 weeks.
Withania Somnifera, also known as the Indian Ginseng or Ashwagandha in Ayurvedic medicine, is a powerful herb that has some amazing medicinal properties. Also known as winter cherry in English, this herb has been recommended for reducing stress and improves hormonal secretions. The herb is rich in iron, glycowithanolides (antioxidants) tannins, glucose, potassium nitrate alkaloids and fatty acids. It is also good for reducing oxidative stress and promotes sound sleep. Withania Somnifera is one of the best home remedies to increase breast milk.
While Withania Somnifera does not cause any major side effects, it can have a diuretic effect and may lead to loss of water and cause temporary dehydration.
3. Fenugreek Seeds
- Soak 2-3 teaspoons of Fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Boil a glass of water in a small bowl. Add the soaked Fenugreek seeds.
- Steep for 10 minutes. Strain and drink the tea daily.
- Continue the process daily for a couple of weeks.
Fenugreek seeds are one of the best natural medicines that have some amazing medicinal properties. Apart from curing upset stomachs they are good for increasing the quantity of breast milk being secreted in a lactating mother. The phytoestrogens present in Fenugreek seeds stimulate the mammary glands and induce them to secrete more milk. Fenugreek seeds are one of the best home remedies to increase breast milk.
Fenugreek seeds do not cause any known side effects and are safe to use by lactating mothers. However, women suffering from Asthma need to consult a doctor before taking this remedy.
2. Solanium Nigrum + Withania Somnifera + Black Pepper
- Take a bunch of fresh Solanium Nigrum leaves.
- Take a bunch of fresh Withania Somnifera leaves.
- Take a teaspoon of black pepper powder.
- Boil 2 glasses of water in a bowl. Add all the above ingredients and steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add a teaspoon of honey and drink.
- Continue the process for a couple of weeks
Solanium Nigrum, also known as Black Night shade or wonder berry is a medicinal herb with amazing antioxidant properties. It is also an anti-inflammatory agent and a diuretic as well. The herb assists in correcting hormonal imbalances and helps the mammary glands function normally. Withania Somnifera, known as the Indian ginseng is a herb that is rich in antioxidants and minerals. Together Solanium Nigrum and Withania Somnifera along with black pepper make one of the best home remedies for breast milk production.
1. Fennel Seeds
- Boil 2 teaspoons of Fennel seeds in a glass of water.
- Cover with a lid. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so.
- Strain and drink the decoction. Continue the process for a couple of weeks.
Fennel seeds have medicinal properties and are used as part of cooking in most cultures around the world. The medicinal properties of the herbal seeds have a galactagogue (increasing the flow of mother’s milk) effect. Fennel seeds are one of the best home remedies to increase breast milk.
See a doctor immediately, if:
- You are on medications. The chemicals of a herb might interact.
- You are not sure of the remedies.