If you have a mental disability, then you can lawfully qualify for an Emotional Support Animal. You need to be certified as mentally disabled by any licensed therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist or duly-licensed mental health expert. This certificate must be formal. Another type of doctors like cardiologists is not considered as the mental health professional.
The reason behind it is that they are not specialized in the mental health. There are a few property managers of airlines or apartments who accept the certification forms filled out by any family doctor. Make certain that you have the right authority that writes the ESA letter for you.
How To Get A Emotional Support Animals For Your Mental Health
If you are wondering what “how to get an esa?” then not to worry! First of all, require an ESA letter which should be written by a mental health expert. This letter contains the license type, license number, date of license and the state in which it is issued.
Furthermore, it should have the date on which it was written. This letter must include the details that will tell the receiver that you are:
- An existing patient of the signing mental health expert.
- Under the mental health expert care and management of your disability which is explained in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Version 4 or 5.
- Restricted in participating or performing in one of the life’s main motions due to your mental disability.
- Being recommended an Emotional Support Animal as an imperative component for the treatment of your present medical situation.
Note: It is important to note that the Emotional Support Animal letter should be dated no after a year from your departure date.
You need to know about the mental disorders that can qualify you for an ESA owner. We have listed the main mental disorders as follows:
- Learning disorders
- Mental retardation
- Tic disorders
- Motor skills disorders
- Attention Deficit Disorder which is called ADD
- Sexual disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Gender identity
- Substance-related disorder (alcohol and drugs, among others).
- Cognitive disorders
Getting a Proper Emotional Support Animal Training Is Must!
Training is important for the service animals but not for the Emotional Support Animals. The Emotional Support Animal offers complete mental support to its handler. This animal can easily qualify as long as it does not cause any harm or trouble to the housing owner or manager.
Limitations of ESAs
The Emotional Support Animals are not just dogs. These animals can be cats, pigs or small horses.
From the above description, you can easily know the method to get an Emotional support animals.