10. Use Garlic
Garlic is yet another essential home remedy to draw out water from the ears. Also, its antibacterial properties reduce pain and prevents further ear infections. To apply the tip, follow the steps given below:
- Take 3 or 4 garlic cloves.
- Press them using a pestle and mortar to extract their juice.
- Use a dipper to pour 2 to 3 drops of garlic juice into the affected ear.
- Wait for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Finally, blow-dry the water-trapped-ear by keeping the dryer 30 cm away from the ear. Refer remedy no. 4 for this.
How To Prevent Water From Getting Into The Ears?
Remember, prevention is better than cure. To avoid such ear problems or complications, follow the points given below:
1. Wear Ear Plugs
Rather than figuring out how to get water out of your ears, it is better to prevent the problem by wearing earplugs before taking a shower or swimming in the pool. They help you seal the ear canals and ensure water from getting in.
2. Use Shower Cap
If you have sensitive ear canals, and you don’t like wearing earplugs, then a better alternative is to use shower cap or swimming cap to prevent the water from getting inside the ears.
3. Use Olive Oil Before Swimming
Pouring 2 to 3 drops of warm olive oil in both the ears before entering the swimming pool is one of the best ways to prevent water from getting inside the ears. Olive oil helps in lubricating the ear canal’s tissues and further, prevents the fluid from being trapped inside the ears.
What Not To Do When You Have Water In The Ears?
- Do not use ear buds or Q-tips to remove or dry the water from the ears. This will injure the ear canal, eardrum, or even push the earwax deeper to the tympanic membrane, which will be worse.
- Do not use fingers, pens, keys, or something sharp to insert into the ears. This will injure the ear and even cause infections.
- Avoid using headphones unless you have got rid of the trapped water in the ears.
When To See A Doctor?
- If the water has not drained out even after 1 to 2 days.
- If you experience redness, hearing loss, or swelling in the ears, an immediate medical attention is required.
- If you have severe itchiness or there is greenish-yellow pus coming out from the ear.
- If there is severe pain in the ear, consult an ENT specialist right away.
Hope, the article on how to get water out of your ears has helped you giving the correct solutions. If you have some other trick, which you feel we have missed writing here, feel free to drop it in the comments section.