30. Insomnia (Lack of Sleep)
Fact: An estimated 30% of the global population has insomnia. Sleep Foundation says that widowed, divorced and separated individuals are the primary victims. Insomnia is an issue that shouldn’t be taken lightly because it has serious negative effects. According to the researchers at the University of Rochester, people who do not get adequate sleep are vulnerable to frustration, road accidents and high rates of lost workdays.
- Step 1: Drink a glass of warm milk before going to bed.
- Step 2: This is a well-known remedy and works because milk has a compound called tryptophan, which helps in inducing better sleep.
- Step 1: The herb named Valerian is claimed to be an effective remedy for insomnia. Take a teaspoon of valerian roots (dried). You can buy the powdered form.
- Step 2: Boil the roots in 2 cups of water. Wait until the quantity drops to a cup. Drink before bedtime.
29. IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Fact: According to the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders, an estimated 10 to 15% of the global population suffers from IBS. The correct cause of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is still unknown. However, the patient experiences heavy disturbances in the way the nervous system, gut, and the brain interacts. The impact can be a mild discomfort to fatal debilitation.
- Step 1: Boil 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds (crushed) in a cup of water for 10 minutes.
- Step 2: Wait until the quantity reduces to 1 cup. Strain the mixture and allow it to cool. Drink 2 times a day. Repeat the remedy for a few days to get rid of IBS.
- Step 1: Boil 2 – 3 teaspoons of chamomile flowers (dried) in 2 cups of water.
- Step 2: Wait until the quantity reduces to 1 cup. Strain the mixture and add a few drops of lemon juice to it. Allow it to be cool. Drink 2 times a day. Repeat the remedy for a few days to get rid of IBS.
28. Crohn’s Disease
Fact: Crohn’s disease is an inflammatory bowel disease, which is characterized by chronic inflammation in the digestive system. It commonly occurs at the end of the small intestine. Once the problem starts, it cannot be cured. However, medications like immunosuppressants and steroids help in slowing the progress of this disease.
- Step 1: Take some fresh peppermint leaves and boil them in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes.
- Step 2: Wait until the quantity turns to 1 cup. Filter it and drink when it is warm. The antioxidants in peppermint heal the inflammation that has occurred in the gut.
- Step 1: Have a cup of homemade, plain yogurt every day.
- Step 2: The probiotics in yogurt helps in healing the inflamed digestive tracts.
27. Bipolar Disorder
Fact: Bipolar disorder is one of the common mental disorders, which affects an estimated 60 million in the world. It is characterized by both depressive and maniac episodes, divided by phases of usual mood. The maniac episodes entail irritable or elevated mood, inflated self-esteem, decreased sleep and over-activity. However, it is treatable and preventable.
- Step 1: Include foods that are rich in magnesium. It helps in balancing the mood and reduces the mania symptoms. Also, it promotes a better sleep.
- Step 2: Some good sources are cashews, black beans, soybeans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, spinach, etc.
- Step 1: Boil 1 teaspoon of licorice roots (dried) in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes.
- Step 2: Once the quantity reduces to 1 cup, strain it and drink when it is warm.
26. Food Poisoning
Fact: It is shocking to know that about 420,000 people in the world die from food poisoning every year (source: independent.co.uk). 1 out of 10 people tends to fall ill annually from consuming contaminated food. Children under age 5 are at the maximum risk, with about 1,25,000 dying from it each year. The African and southern East Asian countries are reported to have the highest cases of foodborne diseases.
- Step1: Prepare a glass of freshly made basil leaves juice. Add one tablespoon of honey to it.
- Step2: Drink this juice several times a day to get rid of food poisoning.
- Step1: Extract the juice of a small piece of ginger and add one teaspoon of honey to it.
- Step2: Consume the mixture two times a day to overcome food poisoning.