Inflammation is generally an immune response which is produced when the cells of the body that usually protect us from infections counter the agents. The encounter can result in pain, redness, swelling, heating up of the site of encounter, and may even cause loss of function of that part. Inflammation can also be caused due to pathogens, external injuries or by harmful effects of chemicals or radiations. Remember, although inflammation is a part of the body’s immune response, chronic inflammation can even lead to serious diseases like bronchitis, rheumatoid arthritis, and may even cause cancer.Here we have given 10 Natural Home Based Remedies For Inflammation.
Main Processes That Take Place During Inflammation
Inflammation is accompanied by a series of events and procedures. Some of the major processes that occur before and during inflammation include
- Increased blood flow to the site of inflammation or injury,
- Capillaries become wider and proteins and other molecules move freely between them, and
- Neutrophils are released by the body in large numbers that reach the site of injury and destroy the micro-organisms.
Inflammation is observed by the victim after the completion of these processes. It can begin rapidly and can become severe within shorter periods of time. Usually, the signs and symptoms diminish in a few days but sometimes if the inflammation is chronic the symptoms can persist for weeks.
10 Natural Remedies For Inflammation
There are a large number of natural compounds that are innately equipped with anti-inflammatory properties which can help in reducing inflammation in a biotic way. However, a lot of therapies are being used since ancient times for the diminution of inflammation naturally from the body. All these remedies and treatments are described underneath.
Turmeric is a well-known spice which is found in the spice box in every kitchen. It is renowned for its antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties due to the presence of an ingredient known as curcumin.
- It can be easily taken in as tea. For preparing its tea, add 3 tbsp of turmeric powder to 1 cup of hot water, cool it and drink.
- It can be taken with milk too. For concocting turmeric milk, add 2-3 tbsp of powder in milk. Boil it and drink it while hot.
Ginger is an eminent culinary herb which is known for its anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties. It is well-tolerated by people who suffer from gastric disorders. It suppresses the production of cytokines and COX enzymes with the help of Gingerol, Shogaol and many structurally similar compounds present in it.
- Ginger can be taken in the form of tea which is made by adding a 4-5 inch properly crushed piece of it in boiling water. It is then cooled and consumed.
Also known by the name of cryotherapy, cooling therapy works by reducing the flow of blood to the site of inflammation causing a reduction in swelling and can temporarily block the nerve endings which relieve pain.
- Cooling therapy is generally provided to the patients with the help of ice-packs or frozen packs of gel.
- Moreover, coolant sprays and cold baths are also effective in plummeting inflammation.
Heat therapy improves blood circulation to the injured part and soothes the body by increasing the flexibility of the injured tissues and muscles. It is also essential in healing the damaged tissue.
- The dry heat therapy generally involves the use of dry heat from heating pads or saunas.
- The moist heat therapy is provided using steamed towels, moist heating packs or hot water baths.
Stephania root is a traditional medicine used for the treatment of edemas, asthma, indigestion and many other kinds of diseases. It’s an influential anti-inflammatory herb consisting of tetrandrine that reduces the production of inflammation-inducing cytokines and is also rich in anti-oxidant properties.
- It is available in the market in the form of tablets and powder as well. A single tablet twice a day can be beneficial in the diminution of inflammation.
It is an active ingredient of pineapple which is highly anti-inflammatory and analgesic by nature. When the pineapple is digested in the body, bromelain gets absorbed in our blood and has its effects on the whole of the body. It also interferes with the tumor causing cells and thus prevents the body from cancerous growth.
- Pineapple is the rich source of bromelain. Make the juice of the hard stem of pineapple and drink it empty stomach.
- Bromelain supplements are also available in the markets which are easy to consume.
It is a thin translucent layer which is present in the egg. It is a rich source of collagen and glucosamine which are renowned for their anti-inflammatory properties. It is also known to reduce the pain and stiffness in the joints caused due to inflammation.
- It is readily available in the market in the form of a supplement.
- It can also be extracted from a boiled egg and directly applied to the wounds and injuries for an accelerated process of healing.
It is a traditional Indian herb which is extracted from the Boswellia tree. It is also known as Indian Frankincense. The resin extracted from the Boswellia tree is used as a medicine since ancient times and is prominent for its relief to chronic illness caused by inflammation. The four acids that are the constituents of this traditional herb are known to inhibit the functioning of 5-LO enzymes which produces inflammation causing leukotrienes.
- It is available in the market in the form of pellets and can be administered orally twice a day for swift relief.
9.Omega-3-Fatty Acids or Fish Oil
The Omega-3-fatty acids are abundantly found in the liver oil of salmon, cod, trout and many other cold-water fishes and are well- recognized for its anti-inflammatory properties. It not only works as an analgesic but it is also known for its property to reverse the damage caused by osteoarthritis.
- Fish is a rich source of omega-3-fatty acids so 2-3 ounces of fish should be consumed weekly.
- The soft gel capsules containing omega-3 acids are readily available in the market which is generally taken twice or thrice a day for rapid relief.
10.White Willow Bark
The white willow bark is being used as an anti-inflammatory remedy since the ancient times and is extracted from the willow tree. It contains a compound Salicin which is similar to aspirin but it is safer as compared to aspirin.
- It is easily available in the form of powder which should be taken in doses of 100-120mg twice a day for hasty relief.
- The pellets containing active Salicin are also available which should be taken in doses of 1-2 in a day.
In the aforementioned remedies, as the compounds are available from natural sources so these are without any side-effects. Also, it should be noted that these do not work as quickly as the drugs do but their regular and long-term dosage will surely help in kicking off the disease.