Sprouts can be defined as the food that can give instant energy. Sprouts are highly healthy and harmless even if cooked. They can be considered as an essential ingredient in Eastern Asian cuisine and American dishes. Sprouting can also be done with cereals like maize, wheat, barley, rye, and oats. However, in the case of pseudocereals, you can check on buckwheat, quinoa, and oil seeds (sesame, almond, linseed, peanuts). Since they are loaded with multiple nutritional factors, we thought of explaining them through a nice article. This post features the various health benefits of sprouts (mainly on pulses like soybean, lentils, and green grams).
Nutritional and Health Benefits of Sprouts
- Sprouts can be easily digested, and the beneficial compounds in them are minerals, vitamins, amino acids, and proteins.
- Since they germinate, all the essential compounds required for them to grow will be present.
- Sprouts are a rich source of vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin B complex.
- All types of sprouts are low in calories, but they have proteins to give the human body sufficient energy to carry out the day-to-day activities.
- Vitamin C in sprouts neutralizes the free radicals (due to rapid environmental pollution).
- They also contain folate, which can assist the human body in the production of DNA, red blood cells, and amino acids; thus, preventing anemia and birth defects to a newborn child.
- Sprouts have vital minerals such as zinc and iron, which are essential for enhancing the immunity of the body and healing the wounds.
- The potassium levels in them are necessary for proper regulation of blood pressure.
How To Make Sprouts?
You can make different kinds of sprouts. The procedure is the same for all. However, we will tell you about making three kinds of sprouts here, which are:
1. How To Make Sprouts Of Soy Bean?
The most common types of beans used in cooking are soybean sprouts and mung beans, which give you an easy way to enhance the nutrients in the diet. These beans are kept in sunlight for only four hours per day spending the rest of the remainder in the dark. They contain good digestive enzymes, which are needed for digestion of carbohydrates, fat, and protein.
- Step 1: Take two teaspoons of soybeans that are in their initial stages of growth.
- Step 2: Take a bowl of cold water.
- Step 3: Put the beans in the bowl and ensure that every seed is immersed in water.
- Step 4: Allow the seeds to remain soaked for about 8 to 12 hours. Or just leave it overnight.
Note: Wash the seeds again and then keep in a medieval temperature in another bowl. This is the place where sprouting will take the place of soybean seeds. Ensure that they are not kept in a very dark place; little light is essential. You can wash every twelve hours with cold water and after two to four days, the sprouts will be ready for culinary use.
It is advisable to check the seeds after two hours if they have become soft. However, it is not necessary that they have to remain in the bowl for a whole 12 hours. It varies depending on the seed and environmental conditions.
Over soaking of seeds might cause them to break into two and they can rot. Therefore, it is advisable to check every four hours. If the seeds have softened, you can take the seeds off and drain the water.
2. How To Make Sprouts Of Green Gram?
Green gram is considered as a vital source of fiber and low-fat proteins. It is fortified with antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and digestive enzymes. To make green gram sprouts, follow the instructions given below:
- Step 1: Put the green grams in a bowl and wash them thoroughly.
- Step 2: Decide on the food you have to prepare. If you are making a salad, take two cups of these beans.
- Step 3: Take the beans and immerse them completely in a bowl with water.
- Step 4: Cover the beans with a wet cloth and allow them to germinate. A muslin cloth or thin cotton cloth will be suitable for this process.
- Step 5: The best way is to leave them overnight and check as the first activity in the morning.
3. How To Make Sprouts Of Lentils?
Lentils are best known as the legumes having different colors. They are very popular and used in dishes all around the globe. Some people find few lentils very difficult to digest. A perfect recipe with the right cooking and the perfect spices makes digestion easy for all.
- Step 1: Rinse half a cup of lentils, remove any stones, dirt or debris by a proper wash.
- Step 2: Place them in a sprouter or bowl with one cup of water. Ensure every seed is soaked.
- Step 3: Leave the seeds for eight hours.
- Step 4: Repeat the rinsing and draining process at least two to three times a day until the tails (sprouts) appear.
- Step 5: It is best to use the sprouts within two to three days to get the maximum health benefits.
Eating any raw sprouts, you have the possibility of suffering from a bacterial infection. The seeds may have been contaminated with E.coli as well as Salmonella during the storage stages. You are also providing moisture and a suitable environment for the bacteria to multiply. Some of the symptoms of salmonella are:
- Abdominal cramps, and
Who Should Not Eat Sprouts?
Pregnant women, the elderly, children, and individuals with a weak immune system should not consume raw sprouts. It is better to cook them to prevent illness.