A headache (in medical terms known as cephalalgia) can be described as pain in the region of the neck or head. As per the survey conducted by the National Headache Foundation, 45 million Americans suffer from recurring, chronic headaches and around 28 million suffer from migraines.
Twenty percent of adolescents and children also suffer from headaches due to indigestion or medication allergic to their body and changes in lifestyle. However, there are home remedies for headaches that offers relief from the discomfort.
Causes of Headaches
The causes are common colds, dental or sinus issues, viral infections, stress, changes in sleep patterns, fatigue, eye strain, pollution, noise level, weather changes, sleep deprivation and the effects can be more in case of allergies and recreational drugs.
Headaches can also result from a blow to the head or it can be a serious underlying medical condition. The normal causes of headaches, as found by doctors, have been found to be skipping meals that lead to low levels of nutrients in the body. Another reason is dehydration, and best way to cure a headache is to drink two cool glasses of water and take rest.
12 Home Remedies For Headaches For Faster Relief
1 .Ginger & Lemon
The ginger and lemon mixture can reduce inflammation of the blood vessels in the head. Result – helps get rid of a headache.
- Take a lemon and three teaspoons of ginger. Crush the lemon to make juice. For ginger, you can chop them into tiny pieces and then boil in water.
- You can combine both the juice and make a mixture. Ensure the juice is made warm before you make the combination.
- Consume the mixture slowly, sip by sip. Do not gulp down the mixture juice.
- Note: You can make a paste of one teaspoon of ginger with equal amount of water and place it on the forehead for ten minutes. The same mixture can be boiled and you can inhale the vapor.
Although ginger contains many active medical ingredients, the two components responsible for reducing a headache are gingerol & shogaol. The two possess the ability to reduce inflammation, which can give relief in case of headache. The additional advantage is regulation of blood circulation in the blood vessels of the brain having the same medicinal positive effect.
Do not apply the remedy if you have:
- You have low blood pressure, you can experience dizziness as a side effect.
- You have a bleeding disorder problem. Ginger also contains salicylates, which can act as a blood thinner. So, individuals with this disorder should not take ginger.
- Taking ginger dishes in high amount (food) leads to gastrointestinal problems.
- You are suffering from symptoms of nausea, vomiting and heartburn (because of gastroesophageal reflux disorders). Lemon juice is acidic and it might cause illness. If you are suffering from ulcer and in medication, the acidic content in lemon juice can cause irritation and prevent the disorder from getting cured in the least possible time.
2. Peppermint Leaves
Mint juice has been, from ancient times, used in effective treatment for a headache.
- Take a handful of mint leaves from the kitchen. After cutting the leaves into small pieces, boil them in a bowl with two cups of water.
- The juice can be then rubbed on the forehead as well as the temple to get relief.
- Do not throw the used mint leaves. The second time, boil the mixture and cover the face with a towel to inhale the vapor.
The primary components of peppermint leaves are menthol that can speed up the blood circulation in blocked vessels around the brain. However, do not apply the remedy, if you have the following problems:
- You have asthma – menthol can aggravate the conditions leading to breathing difficulty.
- You are pregnant – Taking mint tea or menthol supplements during pregnancy can cause miscarriage. Avoid even supplements if you are breast-feeding a baby.
3. Basil Leaves
A simple product in the kitchen, it can be effectively used to cure minor headaches caused by strain and stress. Other benefits are its analgesic and calming effects.
- Take five basil leaves and the required quantity of water for making a small drink.
- Pour the mixture in a bowl and heat it. You can add a teaspoon of honey to the boiling water. Let the mixture simmer for five minutes.
- Make the mixture warm and sip it slowly.
Basil is one of the best home remedies for headaches, as it contains a chemical called ‘eugenol’ (along with carvacrol, thymol and 4-allylphenol having strong anti-oxidant properties). This method can be regarded as one of the best home remedy to be used against headache.
Do not apply the remedy if:
- You are pregnant, basil and its supplements should be avoided.
- Basil is taken in oil form, it can prove carcinogenic in some individuals. In its natural form, basil is considered a natural herb.
- When you get mild headaches, before popping a pill, you will take five or six almonds and munch them .
In case of tension headache, almonds can be an alternative as it has the main medicinal product salicin. Salicin is considered an anti-inflammatory agent; large amount of magnesium in almonds can make the muscles relax and reduce the excitability of nerves.
The other medical component is known as tryptophans found in almonds. Tryptophans get converted into serotonin in the body and it is effective in reducing the effects of migraine.
Avoid this remedy if:
- You are including too many almonds in your snack. High level of magnesium in almonds can interact with antacids, laxatives and antipsychotic drugs.
- You are affected with diarrhea. Almonds contain a large amount of fiber, and the condition might get worse.
- You are suffering from migraine. Almonds might trigger more pain.
5. Lavender Oil
Do you know that simply inhaling the perfume of lavender oil can assist in relieving of tension headaches? This oil has also been found useful in reducing symptoms of headaches linked with migraine.
- Take three drops of lavender oil and one bowl of water.
- Boil the water for ten minutes; put the three drops of lavender oil in water and inhale the mixture.
- Alternate method: You can also add two drops of lavender oil and the same amount of olive oil, make a mixture and rub it on your forehead.
The high percentage of esters (linalyl acetate) present in lavender essential oil is known to possess sedative and anti-inflammatory properties. This method is best suited for the evening hours. The other components to make a mark are coumarin compounds. They can assist in dilating or opening up of blood vessels thus reducing the symptoms of headache.
6. Eucalyptus oil or Chamomile Essential Oil
You can use, in similar ways to lavender oil, Eucalyptus oil and Chamomile Oils. All these are best headache remedies. They offer faster relief.
Eucalyptus globulus and Eucalyptus radiate contain the medicinal compound known as the oxide 1,8-Cineole which can act both as an expectorant and possess anti-inflammatory properties which can reduce symptoms of headache. This process is useful for sinus headaches.
Like lavender, roman chamomile essential oil contains in abundance, esters (isobutyl angelate) having sedative and anti-inflammatory properties.