Kidney stones are made of natural body salts that harden inside the kidneys. The size of a kidney stone can be as small as a grain of sand or as big as a pearl. Most often, they exit the body via urine. But, in some circumstances, if they are large, they become lodged in the urinary tract and cause intense pain while urinating. This is when the patient needs to visit a doctor. However, there are some natural ways to keep the problem at bay. After a deep research, we have listed some home remedies for kidney stones. Before we list them to you, learn about them in detail.
What Are Kidney Stones Composed Of?
The compositions of kidney stones include calcium, minerals, oxalate, and uric acid. These substances crystallize in the kidneys and form kidney stones. The stones initially form in the kidneys and eventually pass down the urethra to the urinary bladder.
The stones that form in the kidneys aren’t usually a concern. They exit via urine without any issue. However, the problematic symptoms begin when excess salts accumulate — leading to the formation of a larger stone. A larger stone may not easily pass through the narrow passage of urinary tract. Hence, they cause intense discomfort, eroding sensitive inner tissues in their path. If the symptoms are ignored, there are chances that it may lead to internal bleeding in the urinary tract and may cause a secondary infection.
Causes of Kidney Stones
The primary reason for the formation of kidney stones is “saturation of urine with salts and minerals”. However, if citrate production is ceased in the kidneys, stones can form. Citrate prevents the calcium from forming a lump and taking the formation of stone. They would attach themselves to the calcium particles and escort them to exit via urine.
Stone in the kidney is 80% calcium. The potential treatment techniques involve flushing out the minerals responsible for the crystallization of stones and preventing them from forming in the first place.
Classification of Kidney Stones
Kidney stones are classified into two types:
- Uric acid stones
- Calcium stones (90% of people get this)
Symptoms Of Kidney Stones
If the kidney stones stay in the kidney, seldom do they cause any discomfort. The challenge comes when they try to move out of the body via the tubes of the urinary tract. The movement of kidney stones may cause:
- No symptoms, if the stones are tiny (very small).
- You can suffer from severe pain that comes in waves. The areas affected are the back, below the ribs, abdomen, genitals and groin.
- You can suffer from nausea, dizziness or vomiting.
- You get severe pain if the stone is in the ureter area. You will experience the same symptoms during urination.
- In the case of a kidney infection, you can suffer from chills and fever.
Top 12 Natural Remedies For Kidney Stones
12. Juice Of Banana Plant’s Stem
Did you know that every part of banana is edible? You will be quite fascinated to read that in tropical countries like Thailand and India, apart from the fruit, its flower and stem is also consumed.
Botanically, the stem of a banana plant isn’t a stem but a beautiful flower stalk. It develops thick to support the entire plant. When the outer layers of the stem are discarded, the inner stalk turns to an edible and fibrous food item. The juice made from the banana plant’s stem is one of the best home remedies for kidney stones. You can add in your daily diet. In fact, when it is consumed on a regular basis, it can easily dissolve the stone quickly. It is rich in fiber and possesses some medicinal values. Just follow the steps to try this tip:
- Step 1: Take 1 to 2 grams of organic cardamom seeds and ground them nicely.
- Step 2: Prepare 1 glass of banana stem juice – by chopping few pieces and grinder them in a mixer with water.
- Step 3: Add the ground cardamom seeds to it.
- Step 4: Mix it well.
- Step 5: Strain and drink early morning on empty stomach. You can even consume two times a day (15 minutes before your meal).
How Does This Work?
According to Ayurveda, the stem of banana plant can significantly help in dissolving or passing the kidney stones. It has natural diuretic properties, which assist in reducing the stone size. The major compounds that assist in this process are oxalates, phosphorous, glyoxylic acid, and glycolic acid. Also, they help in treating gallstones.
On the other hand, cardamom seeds assist in relaxing the urethral and bladder muscles. They ease the urination and expel calcium crystals that are formed in the kidneys. Apart from treating kidney stones, cardamom also reduces pain. Hence, when combined with banana stem juice, it can do great wonders.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- You have low blood pressure.
- You suffer from latex allergies. It can cause anaphylaxis attacks in some cases.