Rosacea is a skin condition that can cause a lot of embarrassment as it manifests as severe reddening of the cheeks, with small some blood vessels in the face appearing dilated. It can even leave small pustules or hives on the skin and cause some swelling as well. Apart from the cheeks, it also affects other parts of the face like the forehead, chin, ears, and around the eyes. The cause of this skin disorder is not known though it affects more women than men. It tends to affect Caucasians more than other ethnicities. There are several effective home remedies for Rosacea that give good relief.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Natural allergens, imbalanced enzymes, processed foods, bacteria, and mites
- Symptoms: Redness on the face, ears, and neck, formation of papules or pustules, build-up of excess tissue in the nose causing it to enlarge
10 Home Remedies for Rosacea
While Rosacea is an embarrassing and irritation skin affliction restricted to the face, it is not very serious and may disappear by itself in a few days. However, there are several easy and quick remedies for Rosacea that are effective, and here are the 10 best:
10. Aloe Vera
- Take a thick leaf of Aloe Vera. Shave off the thorny spikes on either side
- Remove the skin on the rounded side. Scrape the colorless gel into a clean bowl
- Apply the gel on the affected parts. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Repeat the process twice daily for 3 to 4 days.
Aloe Vera is an amazing medicinal herb that normally grows in the wild, though it is cultivated in pots for because of its high medicinal value. It has some great medicinal benefits, and apart from being an excellent antioxidant, it is also a very effective anti-inflammatory agent. Applying Aloe Vera gel on the Rosacea affected areas has a soothing effect and helps get relief from the irritation and itching. It also acts as an antiseptic agent and helps with the healing process. Aloe Vera gel is one of the best home remedies for Rosacea.
Aloe Vera is a safe herb that does not cause any side effects. It is a skin friendly natural herb that is great for the skin and hair.
9. Cucumber Mask
- Take a fresh Cucumber. Wash it and cut it into cubes
- Put it in a food processor. Add two to three teaspoons of Cornstarch. Run it to make a thick paste
- Apply this paste as Cucumber face mask. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Gently wash with water. Repeat the process twice daily for a week
Cucumber is a naturally cool vegetable that has some amazing medicinal benefits, especially for the skin. Cucumber helps in reducing the redness associated with Rosacea and works on the flared blood vessels and helps restore them to their normal state. Moreover, cucumber has been used to cure other face afflictions like acne and pimples. Cucumber helps in revitalizing the skin and reverses skin tanning. It helps treat open pores and gets rid of blemishes. Cucumber is best for Rosacea home treatment.
Cucumber does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to use topically and can also be consumed as a salad.
- Get a bottle of natural honey. Take two teaspoons of honey.
- Apply on the affected areas. Allow it to sit for a couple of hours. Wash with cool water and dab dry. Repeat the process a couple of times daily.
- Continue the process for a week or so.
Honey is one of the best natural antibacterial agents that helps fight the infection caused by Rosacea. It has a soothing effect and helps get relief from the itching and burning. Honey also helps in removing the redness caused by Rosacea. It has amazing antimicrobial and antifungal properties that help remove even the slightest scars left by the attack of Rosacea. Honey is the best natural home treatment for Rosacea.
Honey is a natural antibacterial agent that does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to use.
7. Coconut Oil
- Take some virgin coconut oil. Apply the coconut oil on the affected parts. Let it sit for two to three hours.
- Wash with warm water and dab dry. Continue the process daily for a couple of weeks.
- Coconut oil may also be taken internally or added to the cooking.
Coconut oil is probably the most versatile natural product in the world. It is a natural medicine that helps in balancing the hormones and helps destroy candida. Coconut oil is a natural skin moisturizer and is great for reducing cellulite. Applying coconut oil and consuming it internally regularly helps in containing the effects of Rosacea and helps get a clear, unblemished skin. Coconut oil is the best natural home treatment for Rosacea.
Coconut oil does not cause any adverse side effects and is quite safe for the skin. However, consuming excess quantities of coconut oil internally is not advisable.
6. Turmeric Powder
- Take two to three teaspoons of pure Turmeric powder. Sprinkle some water to make a fine paste. Apply the Turmeric paste on the affected parts.
- Allow it to sit for a couple of hours. Wash with cool water and dab dry.
- Continue the process daily for a week or so.
Turmeric is one of the best natural antiseptic agents that has amazing curative properties. Apart from being an antiseptic agent, it is also an effective anti-inflammatory agent and has good antibacterial properties as well. This amazing spice has been used traditionally in folk medicine for curing wounds, cuts, and infections in the skin and has proven to be very effective and absolutely safe. Turmeric is one of the best natural home remedies for Rosacea.
Turmeric does not cause any adverse side effects and is quite safe to use on adults and children alike. However, as it inhibits the growth of facial hair, men need to be cautious while using it. Applying Turmeric mask on the face leaves a yellow stain on the face that lingers for a couple of days.
5. Salmon Omega-3 Fish Oil
- Take two teaspoons of Salmon Omega-3 Fish Oil
- Mix it in a glass of warm water
- Drink the mixture daily for a couple of weeks
Salmon Omega-3 fish oil, as the name suggests is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids which help in curing skin afflictions. The fatty acids docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid also commonly known as DHA and EPA respectively are very helpful in managing Rosacea, given that there is not an absolute cure for this skin affliction. However, changing lifestyle habits and abstaining from alcohol and tobacco go a long way in preventing an outbreak of Rosacea. Salmon Omega-3 fish oil is one of the best home remedies for Rosacea.
While Salmon Omega-3 fish oil does not cause any major side effects, it can leave a fishy taste in the mouth, cause bad breath the whole day, and may cause stomach upsets, nausea and loose stools.
4. Lavender Oil
- Take two teaspoons of undiluted Lavender Essential Oil.
- Mix it with an equal quantity of Olive oil or coconut oil.
- Apply this on the affected parts. Let it sit for a couple of hours.
- Wash with cold water and dab dry. Continue the process for a couple of weeks.
Lavender essential oil is great natural medicinal oil that helps eliminate nervous tension and is a natural pain reliever as well. Moreover, Lavender essential oil helps in disinfecting the skin and enhances blood circulation. It helps rejuvenate the skin and gets rid of the welts and hives caused by an attack of Rosacea. Dermatologists and aromatherapists are of the opinion that lavender essential oil is one of the best natural remedies for treating skin afflictions like acne and Rosacea. Lavender essential oil is a preferred home treatment for Rosacea.
Lavender essential oil does not cause any known side effects when applied topically, though it could cause a bit of irritation on sensitive skin. If consumed internally it may cause headache, constipation, and increased appetite.
- Take two teaspoons of Licorice root powder.
- Boil a glass of water in a small bowl. Add the Licorice root powder. Allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add a teaspoon of pure honey.
- Drink this decoction daily for a couple of weeks.
Licorice is an amazing herb that has many medicinal properties. It is loaded with many anti-depressant compounds and is a herbal wonder that has been recommended for treating various maladies. It is rich in flavonoids and plant estrogens or phytoestrogens and also contains a compound known as glycyrrhizin that has immense medicinal benefits for the body. Licorice helps in reducing the irritation and itching caused by Rosacea and also helps in reducing the inflammation associated with this disorder. Licorice root powder is one of the best home remedies for Rosacea.
While Licorice root powder does not cause any major side effects, it should not be administered for people with hypertension as it tends to increase the blood pressure. It also decreases the potassium levels in the body when consumed for a prolonged period of time.
2. Oatmeal Poultice
- Take a handful of Oatmeal and soak it in some water.
- Grind the soaked Oatmeal into a fine paste. Apply the Oatmeal paste on the affected areas
- Let it sit for a couple of hours. Wash with cold water and dab dry.
- Repeat the process daily for a week or 10 days.
Oatmeal has a soothing effect on the hives and boils caused by an attack of Rosacea. This wholesome, nutritious food has been long used as a remedy for rashes and insect bites as it has a soothing effect and helps get relief from the itching caused by skin afflictions like Rosacea. Moreover, Oatmeal poultice helps remove the redness caused by Rosacea and helps rejuvenate the skin and helps it regain its original tone. Oatmeal is one of the best home remedies for Rosacea.
Applying Oatmeal poultice topically on the face does not cause any adverse side effects and is quite safe.
1. Olive Leaf Extract
- Take a teaspoon of undiluted Olive Leaf Extract
- Mix it in a glass of warm water. Drink this mixture daily
- Continue the process for 3 to 4 weeks.
Olive leaf extract is a powerful cleanser that helps in detoxifying the body by flushing out all the toxins. Rosacea, being an auto-immune disease, there is bound to be a build-up of pathogens and viruses, fungi, worms etc. Olive Leaf Extract helps destroying all such foreign bodies. It is also an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that boosts the immune system and helps the body fight against the onslaught of diseases. Olive Leaf Extract is one of the best home remedies for Rosacea.
While Olive leaf extract does not cause any major side effect it may cause headaches, joint pain, nausea and sore throat.
See a doctor immediately if:
- You’ve developed pimples, hives or bumps on your face
- The symptoms are causing too much of an embarrassment
- The eyes get affected by the infection
- The nose becomes bulbous and infected