Sunburn is a natural phenomenon that happens when you are exposed to the sun for too long. It is ironic, though. On one side we cannot exist without the sun while on the other, a mild exposure to sunlight is essential for healthy living. However, when an uncovered body is exposed to the sun when it is the harshest – between 10 am and 4 pm, it can cause sunburn, which is harmful to the skin. If you are suffering from such a problem, here are some amazing home remedies for sunburn relief.
Sunburn can result in reddening of the skin, along with inflammation, and even blistering as well as peeling of skin in extreme cases. This is because of exposure to harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun. The good news is that there are several natural remedies to get rid of sunburn. In fact, they are available right in our homes and are inexpensive.
Causes of Sunburn
- Over exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light.
- Two types of UV – Ultraviolet A (UVA) and Ultraviolet B (UVB).
- It is the body’s reaction to direct damage of DNA.
- Caused by UV light’s excitation of the DNA.
- Dark pigment Melanin present in the skin is triggered to form a protective
Symptoms of Sunburn
- Pinkness or redness of skin that develops in a few hours.
- Minor sunburns result in mild redness and tenderness of the skin.
- The sense of warmth while touching the skin.
- Pain combined with itching and tenderness.
- The possibility of small blisters that can break and ooze fluid.
- Severe sunburn results in an acute headache, chills and fever.
- Extreme fatigue if the sunburn is severe and left untreated.
5 Best Home Remedies For Sunburn Relief
Also See: Remedies for Tanned Skin
5. Lemon Juice & Cucumber Juice
- Take a fresh, ripe lemon and cut into two halves.
- Squeeze both halves and extract all the juice.
- Mix the lemon juice in 100ml of water
- Store the juice – water mixture in a glass bottle
- Take one fresh green cucumber and grate it.
- Squeeze the juice out of the grated cucumber.
- Store the cucumber juice in a glass bottle.
- Mix the lemon juice-water combo and cucumber juice in equal proportions.
- Take a ball of surgical cotton and dip in lemon juice-cucumber juice mixture.
- Apply the mixture on the face (avoid eyes) neck, hands and body.
- Allow it to sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash off with cool water after some time.
- Repeat process throughout the day.
- You may freeze the juice mixture and preserve as ice cubes.
How Does This Work?
Lemon juice is acidic and contains vitamin C which is a great antioxidant. It helps cure sunburn and remove dark spots caused by sunburn. Lemon juice is a great skin rejuvenator as well. Cucumber contains natural antioxidant and analgesic properties that work wonders on the skin. When mixed with acidic lemon juice it has a neutralizing effect that is beneficial for skin affected with sunburn and gives a soothing effect. Sunburn often results in peeling skin, and cucumber juice helps heal peeling skin amazingly fast.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
You are applying lemon juice without diluting it. It is acidic in nature and can cause a severe burning sensation on the skin, making the sunburn worse. However, cucumber juice may be used in its concentrated form as it is harmless and full of benefits, hence a great astringent for the skin.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Aloe Vera Gel
- Add 5 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water
- Cut a thick leaf of Aloe Vera
- Shave off the thorny spikes on either side of the leaf
- Peel the skin on the rounded side of the leaf
- Extract the colorless gel and store in a cool place
- Crush the Aloe Vera gel and mix with cider vinegar – water mix
- Soak paper towels in the mixture and spread on affected skin
- Leave until towels are dry
- Repeat process several times during the day
How Does This Work?
Aloe Vera is a natural herb that has great healing properties and is great as a natural treatment for sunburn. This amazing plant is used extensively as a medicine for treating cuts, wounds and itches and is very effective. It is very skin friendly and is used as an additive by most cosmetics manufacturers.
This wonder herb is also used as a natural shampoo and helps maintain a luxuriant growth of soft, fluffy hair. Aloe Vera gel is also used to treat burn injuries and is very effective when applied on skin afflicted with sunburn. It has a soothing effect on the skin and works on the blisters as well.
Apple cider vinegar is probably one of the best home remedies for sunburn relief as it helps soothe painful sunburns and enhances the healing process. Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, which helps control the inflammation caused by sunburn. It is also effective in controlling itchiness in the skin caused by sunburns. As Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature, it is best used mixed with Aloe Vera gel which helps neutralize the acidic effects.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
You are using apple cider vinegar without diluting it with water or mixing it with a neutralizing substance like Aloe Vera gel. Applying apple cider vinegar on skin abrasions can aggravate the condition. However, Aloe Vera gel is safe to use on skin and is not known to have any side effects.