We all reckon the value of having a good eye sight. The organs of vision have always played a critical role in every walk of life. Helping us probe things by understanding its anatomy by perceiving its appearance via sensory signals.
An eye is a complex sensory system, which utilizes the light that bounces off the objects. It picks up the light, converts them in the form of electro-chemical signals and sends them to the brain for cognitive function. common diseases and easy methods to keep the eyes healthy.
Types Of Eyesight Problems
1. Myopia – It is an eye defect where, you will be fully capable of seeing objects closer, while those objects away from you will appear fuzzy and lacking depth of information.
2. Hyperopia – It is the opposite of myopia. You will be capable of seeing objects that are away from you, but when they are at a closer range, you may see them blurred. Such a condition is known as farsightedness, hyperopia or hypermetropia.
3. Astigmatism – When you experience an error in the shape of the cornea, you are known to have astigmatism. Those suffering from astigmatism will have a curved, irregular surface of the cornea. It changes the way the light travels to the retina. The resulting vision is hazy, blurry and distorted.
4. Presbyopia – It is the natural degeneration of the eye. It usually affects individuals as they age. The eye gradually loses the ability to focus on closer objects.
5. Ophthalmoplegia – When you experience pain in the eye, you are known to have ophthalmoplegia. Often, it isn’t a serious condition and the pain will come to pass on its own. You may not need treatment or medicines to cure the pain.
6. Night Blindness (Nyctalopia) – When you have difficulty of viewing objects at night or low light condition, then you are suffering from night blindness. It is a form of vision impairment.
7. Color Blindness – It is the difficulty in distinguishing the colors from one another. There are color sensing pigments in your eye that under regular circumstances will give an accurate perception of the object being viewed. People with color blindness will have difficulty distinguishing the colors such as red and green; blue and yellow.
8. Diabetes – If you are a diabetic, you have to pay attention to your health to avoid eye problems. When there is an elevated level of glucose in the blood, it will contribute to variety of health hazards.
9. Cataracts – Your vision can be impaired if you have been suffering from cataract. An individual acquires cataract in a stage by stage process. Many discover the symptoms when conducting an eye examination. It starts with a gradual blurring of vision that later progresses into a more intense form till you notice the drastic difference.
- Distortion in the vision due to haziness which turns worse in bright light conditions.
- Difficulty in movement at night time due to weak vision.
- Inability to follow street signs.
- Inability to distinguish colors due to faded appearance.
Treating the vision problems is fairly an easy task. You can use prescription glasses, lenses and may even correct your vision with a surgery. Listed here are some natural home remedies for improving vision naturally.
Home Remedies For Eyesight
Ingredients of carrots such as beta-carotene (Vitamin A form) are important as a deficiency can lead to blindness and the first stage being vision problems.
It is the most popular vegetable to improve the vision. Carrots are best consumed raw or in the form of juice.
- Take 4-5 fresh carrots and slice them into small to medium pieces.
- Get all the carrot slices in a juice making container of the mixer and then add sufficient quantity of water to prepare the juice. In the mean process, you can add the honey to increase the taste so that you can gain vital health benefits from it. Only one or two teaspoons of honey will be sufficient to elevate the taste of the carrot juice.
You can also consume raw carrots after cleaning them properly.
2. Gooseberry (Amla)
When you drink the juice, you reduce the chances of cataract and other diseases. It has rich resources of carotene and Vitamin A – both of them are essential for preventing night blindness and macular degeneration. It is also rich in antioxidants and it prevents stress from affecting the retina.
Rich in vitamin C, it is another ideal herb from the healing the cells in the eyes and treats several eye disorders with regular consumption. Gooseberry is available in multiple forms like capsule, powder, jam, tablet, and even as juice.
3. Eye Exercises
Sufficient blood flow to the eyes is essential for the proper functioning of the eye. It needs a good degree of flexibility to retain quality of vision. Hence, exercising the eye is an essential to combat the stress and strain. It also enhances your ability to concentrate.
- Hold a pencil at arm’s length and draw your attention to it. Gently, draw them closer to the nose and extend it again away from your eyes. Repeat the process up to 10 times a day.
- Rolling your eyes is one of the best ways to exercise at any place at any time. Roll your eyes counter-clockwise and clockwise. Repeat each step 10 times a day.
- Flutter your eyes 20-30 times in quick succession. But, do not squeeze-shut your eyes. Finally, relax by gently closing the eyes. Also, try the palming (description mentioned below).
- Try staring at the object placed at a distance. Use moon as your reference. Train your attention to the moon and retain your focus for 5 minutes every day.
- Try these exercises regularly for a couple months to start witnessing positive results and to improve vision naturally. Always remember, consistency is the key. Practise regularly so that the eyes do not suffer from stress.
It is an excellent form of exercise to stimulate your lens and ciliary muscles.
Generate heat by rapidly rubbing your palms and then, cup your eyes with the warm section of your palms. Take care, not to apply pressure on the eyes. When you are trying the palming exercise, do it in the absence of light. Visualizing a pleasant scenario will positively impact the exercise. The muscles of the eyes get relaxed due to the heat.
5. Leafy Greens for Improvement Of Eyesight
In recent times, everyone wants to include leafy greens as part of his/ her diet to get the best maximum benefits. Praised by one and all as rich in nutrients, some of the greens such as kale, collards and chard are rich in calcium (easily absorbable) which can be useful to persons following the ‘vegan’ diet. They also contain abundant resources of Vitamin K, which is vital for bone health and other Vitamins such as A, B and C.
Almost all leafy greens contain lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamin C. They assist in reducing the risk of getting cataracts as well as macular degeneration in humans.
You can use spinach in juices. In case of smoothies or juices, you can even use kale/collard leaves, and the taste will be rather the same with minor differences.
The yolk of egg is considered the prime source of zeaxanthin and lutein. It also consists of zinc – all the mentioned three assists in reducing the macular degeneration risk. Also, they also contain Vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids. Egg is considered an all-health diet by doctors as it contains every essential nutrients for not only better eye-sight, but for total health of the body.
The fishes such as salmon, mackerel, tuna are rich in DHA, and they provide suitable assistance to the cell membranes of the eyes. The food can also be used for dry eyes, treatment of eyesight and macular degeneration.
The omega 3 fatty acids present in fishes assist in decreasing the macular degeneration of the eye and other problems such as glaucoma. The vitamin D and omega 3 fatty acids present in fishes are the protecting factors of blood vessels within eyes.
8. Fennel Seeds
These seeds have essential nutrients and antioxidants that assist in the prevention of cataracts. If you have sorbitol in high amount trapped in the retina cells, it will lead to cataracts, blindness etc. The component trans-anethole in fennel seeds succeeds in blocking the change (conversion) of sugar to glucitol in blood. This is helpful in the treatment of diabetic patients._
You can use fennels seeds in the recipes or eat them raw after consumption of food for better digestion.
9. Mixture Of Almonds & Fennel
Almonds are full of vitamin E that retains the capacity to slow down macular degeneration. They are also rich sources of magnesium, zinc, iron and fiber. Another important component is known as amygdalin, which can prevent cancer.
- Make the power of Almonds and Fennel seed
- Consume this powder and a glass of milk prior hitting the bed.
- Refrain from consuming water for two hours you consume milk.
- Follow this routine for forty days.
10. Ginkgo Biloba
This herb is beneficial for people who suffer from glaucoma. It contains antioxidants that protect the nerve cells in the eye. It enhances flow of blood to the retina and prevents the blood from clotting, thereby preventing damage to sensitive tissues such as the optic nerve and the brain. The flavonoids present in Ginkgo dilate the circulating system in microcapillaries thus enhancing the circulation of blood and oxygen levels in the body.
11. Green Tea
The polyphenols in the green tea protect the retinal cells from damage due to UV light. Catechins present in green tea also assist in preventing macular degeneration.
12. Sweet Potatoes
The important components present in sweet potatoes are omega 3 fatty acids, phosphorus, sodium, zinc, phosphorus and Vitamins A, C, B, K and E. Beta-carotene is converted into Vitamin A in the human body and you get protection against macular degeneration, cataracts. The other component is known as anthocyanin that offers anti-inflammatory benefits to the skin.
You can add them in the diet by making sweet potato chips or you can relish them as boiled vegetables.
7 Useful Tips To Keep Your Eyes Healthy
- Do not rub your eyes needlessly.
- Prevent direct exposure to sun rays.
- Have Vitamin C rich diets.
- Store water in the mouth while washing the face.
- Avoid oil-rich, fatty, or spicy food.
- Do not smoke or take alcohol.
- Prevent being stressful and relax your eyes when you are free.
The above mentioned home remedies can prevent the eyes from getting strained. If you are wearing spectacles, try the above-mentioned eye exercises and have a rich nutritious food to improve the eye sight by natural means.