Spider bites can be very discomforting but not dangerous. However, if the spider is poisonous, it is a red sign. It is hard to differentiate spider bites because they resemble much like ant bites and other insect bites. A common spider bite will appear like raised welts. There will be irritation and burning sensation on the infected part. The symptoms last from 3 to 4 hours to even days. However, there are herbs and home remedies for spider bites that can help. Before you learn them, make a note of these:
- For Common Spider Bites: Not dangerous and can be treated at home. However, requires medical attention if it worsens or is not healing even after applying the natural remedies listed below.
- For Poisonous Spider Bites: Highly dangerous and can even cause death. So, seek medical help immediately, especially if a black widow spider, a brown recluse spider, or any other poisonous spider bites.
Symptoms Of A Spider Bite
- Pain on the bitten part
- Skin redness and swelling
- Irritation on the infected part
- Stinging or burning sensation
- Appearance of blisters and rashes
- Difficulties while breathing (if poisonous spider bites)
- Excess sweating & rapid pulse (if poisonous spider bites)
- Severe stomach cramping & body aches (if poisonous spider bites)
5 Home Remedies For Spider Bites
5. The Plantain Poultice Trick
- Pick a few tender plantain leaves. Wash them in cold water.
- Keep a big bandage handy.
- Once washed, chew the plantain leaves but don’t swallow.
- Now place the – chewed up leaves – yes, the poultice directly on the bitten part.
- Secure the bandage along with the chewed leaves.
- Plantain is edible but if you don’t like the taste, rinse the mouth.
- After 12 hours, repeat the remedy.
How Does This Work?
Plantain Leaves: These herbal leaves are indeed one of the best ways to treat spider bites. They act as an emollient (soothes and protects the skin) and detoxicant (eliminates poison from the stings). Besides this, the leaves also exhibit antiviral, antibacterial, anti-itch, analgesic, and astringent properties.
However, the main bioactive compound in plantain leaves that does the job is called allantoin. It exhibits anti-inflammatory properties and is great for healing wounds. The compound stimulates cell growth and is widely used for rashes as well. The natural flavonoids in plantain leaves have anti-microbial properties; thus, eliminating the bacteria, virus, and fungus from the skin.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- Your spider bite is poisonous. It requires immediate medical intervention.
- You are allergic to it. Avoid using the remedy.