A nasty toothache is capable of spoiling the mood for days together unless you get quick relief. Instead of running to your dentist (provided you get the appointment) and waiting for hours on end for something as simple (though painful) as a tooth abscess, you can attempt some easy home remedies for an abscessed tooth that are effective and offer quick relief.
A holistic approach of treatment is always good. A tooth abscess can be excruciatingly painful, as it is a collection of pus, which is generated as a reflex defense mechanism that halts the spread of the infection into the bloodstream.
What’s worse is the infection spreading into the insides of the tooth, affecting the tooth and leading to caries and painful cavities. Whenever any foreign substance finds its way into the inner layers of the tooth through either a chip or weak enamel, caries or cavity can be formed.
Causes of Tooth Abscess
- Gingivitis, Periodontitis or any other form of gum disease.
- Irregular or incorrect brushing leading to poor oral hygiene.
- A weak immune system by default.
- Chipped or cracked tooth or weak enamel.
- Dental infection unnoticed, or left untreated.
- Consuming carbohydrate rich diet, or sticky foods regularly
Symptoms of an Abscessed Tooth
- A severe toothache that persists continuously.
- Sharp, shooting pain in the infected portion each time you grab a bite of food.
- Sensitivity to hot or cold water.
- Discharges in the mouth, often foul smelling.
- Intermittent bad breath.
- Redness and swelling in the gums, sense of soreness.
- Swelling extending to the face.
- Sleeplessness due to intense, throbbing pain.
- Difficulty in swallowing solid food.
See A Doctor Immediately, If:
- You experience chills.
- You develop a fever.
- Your face swells.
- You have trouble while swallowing or breathing.
Note: The above indicate that the infection has gone deeper and has spread to the jaw and neighboring tissues.
5 Home Remedies For Abscess Tooth
5. Oil Pulling
- Rinse your mouth with warm water. Put 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth.
- Swish the oil inside your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not swallow the coconut oil.
- Spit out the oil after 20 minutes and rinse with warm water.
- Repeat the process at least twice daily, until you see improvement.
How Does This Work?
Oil pulling is an ancient medical technique that has been described in detail in Ayurvedic texts. It has been in existence for thousands of years because of its efficacy and safety. Coconut oil works on abscessed teeth & inflamed gums and offers almost instant relief.
Coconut oil is great in fighting against thousands of harmful bacteria present in the mouth. It is more of a mouthwash with strong medicinal properties, which helps get rid of bacteria and other harmful toxins found in the mouth.
Oil pulling is known to be one of the best home remedies for abscess tooth. It is extensively prescribed by Ayurvedic practitioners and grandmothers for treating simple mouth ulcers and advanced stages of abscess in the tooth. If left untreated, the body’s reaction to the toxins accumulating in the mouth manifests as inflammation, allergic reactions and other painful symptoms associated with an abscessed tooth.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
You are not doing it right. It is advisable to undertake the process on an empty stomach. Even in the absence of abscess in the tooth, oil pulling can be done at regular intervals to promote oral health.
4. The Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
- Rinse the mouth with warm water and spit it out. Put 1 tablespoon of unfiltered apple cider vinegar in your mouth.
- Swish the apple cider vinegar inside your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not swallow the vinegar. Once rinsed, spit it out.
- Rinse again with warm water. Repeat process 2 to 3 times in the course of the day.
How Does This Work?
Apple cider vinegar, also known as cider vinegar or ACV is vinegar made out of cider and apple. It is pale yellowish in color and contains all the nutrients as well as minerals of an apple. It contains pectin, biotin, folic acid, niacin, pantothenic acid, and traces of minerals like potassium, phosphorous, calcium, sodium and iron.
In all, ACV or apple cider vinegar contains almost 90 ingredients, making it a super health tonic. One important ingredient in ACV is acetic acid, otherwise known as ethanoic acid, which works wonders on an abscessed tooth.
Although this colorless liquid has a strong pungent smell and is very bitter to taste, its goodness outweighs the discomfort caused by the smell and taste. Acetic acid is a known antibacterial agent and can fight effectively against Staphylococcus aureus, Acinetobacter baumannii and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, which are all harmful bacteria that do no good for the human body, especially the teeth, nose and skin.
While not being used as one of the home remedies for an abscessed tooth, apple cider vinegar can be consumed for its beneficial properties. The Malic acid present in ACV, which is an organic dicarboxylic acid, aids in digestion and helps in removing the unwanted toxins from the body.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
ACV has no known side effects and is safe to use.