Metallic taste in mouth, scientifically known as dysgeusia is a condition where there is a change in the taste buds. The person experiences a strange flavor in the mouth at times, which can be both unpleasant and persistent. People with this disorder often complaint to have bitter, bad, foul, or iron taste in the mouth.
Dysgeusia is often related to ageusia, a condition where there is a complete loss of taste and hypogeusia, a condition where there is a significant decrease in the taste sensitivity. Luckily, this problem can be solved. The home remedies for metallic taste in mouth listed in this article are effective, natural, and safe.
Causes Of Metallic Taste In Mouth (Dysgeusia)
An altered or bitter sense of taste could be due to some diseases. However, everyday habits and common conditions that can cause a metal taste in the mouth include:
- Breathing through the mouth
- Dry mouth
Symptoms Of Metal Taste In Mouth (Dysgeusia)
- Poor taste sense
- Bitter taste
5 Home Remedies For Metallic Taste In Mouth (Dysgeusia)
5. Lemon Leaves & Black Gram
- Take some fresh lemon leaves.
- Take a few teaspoons of black gram.
- Wash the two ingredients properly using water.
- Grind the two using a mixer.
- Make it into a thick paste.
- Add a pinch of salt to add taste.
- Consume with food (perhaps, rice) often to reduce the metallic taste in mouth.
How Does It Work?
Lemon Leaves: Natural acidic foods like lemon help in neutralizing the metallic taste in mouth naturally. This is due to the presence of citric acid in them. It eliminates the foul taste in the mouth and keeps it healthy once again.
Black Gram: Scientifically known as Vigna mungo, black gram or black lentils is one of the best home remedies to get rid of metallic taste in mouth. Their antioxidant properties help in activating the taste buds while the antimicrobial properties kill the germs and prevents the tongue from further inflammations.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- You have mouth ulcers. The citric acid in lemon leaves can worsen the condition.
- There are no known side effects of consuming black gram. However, a few say that it causes flatulence.