Edema, also known as hydropsy or dropsy is a disorder where fluid accumulates in the tissue’s in the body and causes swelling. Edema can affect any part of the body though it tends to affect the hands, ankles and feet. Edema affects millions of people worldwide, especially in the United States. Some classic indications of Edema include swelling, stretched skin, puffiness etc. Edema may be caused by sitting in a particular position for too long, and standing immobile for long can also cause this disorder. Other causes include a high-salt diet, insect bites, malnutrition and premenstrual syndrome.
Causes and Symptoms Edema
Causes: Sitting or standing in a particular position for too long, high-salt intake, malnutrition, insect bites and premenstrual syndrome.
Symptoms: Swelling and puffiness, stretched skin, increase in abdomen size
While Edema is not a serious condition by itself, it may indicate a condition in the body that can develop as a complication later. There are several easy and effective home remedies for Edema, and here are the 10 best:
Natural Home Remedies for Edema
10. Mustard Oil Massage + Turmeric Powder
- Take two to three tablespoons of Mustard Oil
- Heat the oil gently in a pan
- Add a teaspoon of Turmeric powder
- Apply the oil on the affected areas and massage gently
- Repeat the process two to three times daily for a week
Mustard oil is a great reliever of pain and helps in reducing the swelling as well. It enhances the blood circulation and stimulates the lymph flow. Mustard oil helps in draining excess water from the tissues where it tends to accumulate and cause pain and swelling. Turmeric powder is a natural antimicrobial and an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that helps in containing the swelling and hastens the healing process. Mustard oil and Turmeric together make one of the best home remedies for Edema.
Mustard oil and Turmeric powder do not cause any adverse side effects and are safe to use. Mustard oil is greasy and may be messy and needs to be washed off after each application.
9. Fennel Seeds
- Take two teaspoons of Fennel Seeds
- Boil a glass of water and add the Fennel Seeds
- Allow it to steep for 15 minutes
- Strain and add a teaspoon of honey
- Drink this decoction once or twice daily
- Continue the process for a week or 10 days
Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare var. dulce) is considered a sacred herb that is part of everyday cooking in most cultures of the world. Apart from being extolled as a promoting longevity due to its medicinal value, fennel is known to possess several medicinal benefits. It contains antioxidants like kaempferol and quercetin that help in flushing out free radicals from the body. Fennel seeds also contain anethole, limonene, anisic aldehyde, pinene, mycrene and cineole. Fennel seeds make one of the best home remedies for Edema treatment at home.
While Fennel does not cause any major side effects, it may cause allergic reactions for people who are allergic to celery, carrots, and mugwort.
8. Coriander Seeds
- Take two teaspoons of Coriander seeds
- Boil 2 glasses of water and add the Coriander seeds
- Allow it to steep for 20 minutes (until water is reduced to half the quantity)
- Strain and drink this decoction
- Alternatively boil 100 to 150 gm of Coriander seeds in 2 liters of water
- Allow the mixture to cool a bit and soak your feet and hands in this mixture
Coriander belongs to the Coriandrum genus and the C. sativum species and is a spice that is part of the cuisine of many cultures in Asia and other parts of the world. It is a natural digestive agent and helps cure stomach related ailments. Moreover, is also a great natural antiseptic agent. It is also an excellent anti-inflammatory and an antimicrobial that helps in reducing the swelling caused by Edema and gives relief from the pain. Coriander can be ingested as a drink or used as a soak for getting relief from the swelling and pain. Coriander is one of the best Edema remedies.
While Coriander seeds do not cause any major side effects they may cause allergic reactions, stomach upsets and diarrhea when used in excessive quantities.
7. Dandelion Tea
- Take a few fresh Dandelions
- Boil a glass of water in a small bowl
- Switch off the flame and add the Dandelions and close with a lid
- Allow it to steep for 5 to 6 minutes
- Strain and drink this decoction two to three times daily
- Continue the process for a week or 10 days
Dandelion is a natural diuretic that helps expel the excess water from the body. In addition to helping balance the liver secretions, Dandelion helps in regulating the blood pressure. This natural remedy is great for boosting the immunity system and acts as an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that helps reduce the swelling and gives relief from the pain as well. Dandelion is one of the best home remedies for Edema.
While Dandelion tea does not cause any major side effects, it may cause stomach upsets, diarrhea and heartburn for some people.