Tonsils are a pair of oval-shaped tissue structures located at the back of the throat. These tissues are present there as natural filters that stop germs and other foreign particles from entering the air passage and causing serious infections.
The Tonsils also generate antibodies that have the capacity to destroy the germs that happen to enter into the mouth. However, when the flow of germs becomes too much the Tonsils tend to get overloaded and overworked and get infected leading to a condition known as Tonsillitis or inflammation of the Tonsils.
Tonsillitis usually occurs in children between 4 and 7 years of age. It is rare in those under 2 or over 40.
The infection may be caused by the streptococcus bacteria, the adenovirus, influenza viruses or the herpes simplex virus. There are several best home remedies for Tonsillitis that give relief from the pain and discomfort caused by Tonsillitis.
Causes Of Tonsillitis
streptococcus bacteria, the adenovirus, influenza viruses or the herpes simplex virus
Symptoms Of Tonsillitis
A Sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, bad breath, tinny voice, chills, earaches etc
Tonsillitis is a painful condition which is not very serious. It may cause difficulty in swallowing or make swallowing very painful. Here are the 10 best simple home remedies for tonsillitis you can try and get relief from,
Home Remedies for Tonsillitis
10. Pepper and Turmeric
- Take two teaspoons of black pepper powder
- Take two teaspoons of pure Turmeric powder
- Boil a glass of cow’s milk and add the ingredients
- Add a teaspoon of pure honey
- Drink this mixture hot before bedtime
- Repeat the process for a week or so
Black pepper is a spice that has amazing health benefits. It has excellent antibacterial properties that help fight the infection causing the swelling in the Tonsils. Moreover, pepper is rich in manganese, iron, potassium, Vitamin C and K and dietary fiber as well. Turmeric is one of the safest antiseptic agents that has amazing healing powers. Swishing the mixture of milk, pepper and turmeric in the mouth and throat area helps destroy the germs causing Tonsillitis. Black pepper and turmeric together make one of the best home remedies for Tonsillitis.
Pepper does not cause any known side effects and is part of the cooking of most cultures of the world. Turmeric too is very safe to use and free of side effects.
9. Fenugreek Seeds
- Soak a handful of Fenugreek seeds overnight
- Boil a glass of water and add the soaked Fenugreek seeds
- Allow the mixture to steep for 10 minutes
- Strain and allow the mixture to cool
- Swish the decoction in your mouth and throat
- Repeat this process twice daily for a week
Fenugreek seeds have been used as medicine for treating several disorders, and have been very effective in curing disorders in the gastrointestinal system. Apart from being antiseptic in nature, Fenugreek seeds have amazing anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties as well. Gargling the mouth with Fenugreek seeds water helps fight the infection causing Tonsillitis. Fenugreek seeds make one of the best home remedies for swollen tonsils.
Fenugreek seeds do not cause any side effects and are quite safe to use.
8. Basil Tea
- Take a bunch of fresh Basil (Tulsi) leaves
- Boil a glass of water in a small bowl
- Switch off the flame and add the Basil leaves
- Close the bowl with a lid and allow it to steep for 5 minutes
- Strain the reddish brown decoction and add a teaspoon of honey
- Drink this concoction daily for a week
Basil, known as Tulsi in Hindi and Thulasi in Tamil is considered a divine herb that has amazing antiseptic properties. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent and antipyretic as well that helps clear a sore throat and stuffy nose quickly. The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory qualities of Basil help fight the bacteria causing the infection resulting in Tonsillitis. Basil is one of the safest and best home remedies for tonsils.
Basil does not cause any side effects and is quite safe to use. It is safe enough to administer to infants and pregnant women.
7. Pepper + Dried Ginger + Dried Basil leaves
- Take two teaspoons of black pepper powder
- Keep one teaspoon of dried Ginger powder
- Put one teaspoon of dried Basil leaves powder
- Add a couple of diced Cayenne peppers
- Sprinkle some water and grind to a fine paste
- Swallow this mixture, a little at a time
- Ensure that you swish it around the throat briefly
Ginger is a herb that acts as a natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent and helps reduce the swelling in the throat. Pepper contains Vitamin C which is essential for boosting the immune system. Cayenne pepper has the power to kill pain in a natural way. Basil also is a natural antiseptic that has some amazing curative properties. This powerful mixture of Pepper, dried ginger, and dried basil leaves along with Cayenne pepper makes one of the best home remedies for Tonsillitis.
None of the ingredients including Cayenne pepper, dried ginger, dried basil leaves or pepper have any adverse side effects.
6. Honey + Garlic
- Take 3 to 4 cloves of fresh garlic
- Wash, peel and crush to a paste
- Add two teaspoons of pure honey
- Mix both in a glass of warm water
- Swallow this mixture after swishing around the throat
- Continue the process daily for a week
Garlic is a natural antiseptic agent that has some amazing curative powers as well. Honey has a soothing effect on the painful tonsils and helps get relief. It is also an antimicrobial and antibacterial agent and helps fight the infection effectively and hastens the healing process. Garlic and honey together make one of the best home remedies for swollen tonsils.
Garlic does not cause any adverse side effects. However, if the tonsils are raw and sore, garlic may cause an intense burning sensation. Honey does not cause any side effects and is safe to use.
5. Turmeric + Honey
- Take three to four teaspoons of Turmeric powder
- Take 4 teaspoons of pure honey
- Mix honey and Turmeric to make a fine paste
- Put a teaspoon of this mixture in your mouth
- Swish it around the throat slowly and swallow after some time
- Repeat the process two to three times daily for a week
Turmeric is one of the best natural antiseptic agents that also has some amazing antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Honey is a natural curative agent and helps control the growth of micro-organisms in the throat and hastens the healing process. Turmeric and honey together make one of the best home remedies for tonsils.
Turmeric is a natural healing agent that does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to use. Honey also does not cause any side effects and is safe to use by adults and children alike.
4. Lemon + Pepper + Salt
- Take a fresh lemon and cut into two halves
- Squeeze out the juice and set aside
- Taka a teaspoon of pepper powder
- Take a half a teaspoon of common salt
- Mix all three ingredients in a glass of warm water
- Sip this mixture slowly and swish it around the throat before swallowing
Lemon is a natural citric fruit that is loaded with goodness. It is loaded with Vitamin C and helps boost the immune system and fight the infection in the tonsils that is responsible for the Tonsillitis. Common salt or sodium chloride has some amazing antiseptic properties and serves as a germ killer and helps destroy the microbes causing the infection.
Pepper is a natural curative that helps reduce the swelling and hastens the healing process. Lemon, pepper and salt together make one of the best home remedies for Tonsillitis.
Lemon, salt, and pepper do not have any adverse side effects. Salt may cause the blood pressure to increase, hence hypertension patients need to be cautious while using this remedy. The mixture of Salt+Pepper+Honey is an instant home remedy for tonsils.
3. Mustard Seeds Powder
- Take a handful of yellow mustard seeds
- Clean the seeds and grind it into a fine powder
- Mix two teaspoons of this powder in a glass of warm water
- Gargle your mouth and swish around the throat for a few minutes
- Repeat this process two to three times daily for 3 to 4 days
Mustard seeds (Brassica juncea) are used as part of cooking in most cultures across the world. These seeds are loaded with phyto-nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. Mustard also contains proteins, essential oils, and dietary fiber. Rich in sterols like brassicasterol, campesterol, sitosterol, avenasterol and stigmasterol mustard seeds also contain glucosinolates and fatty acids like sinigrin, myrosin, erunic and oleic acids. Mustard is one of the best home remedies for swollen tonsils.
Mustard seeds do not cause any side effects and are safe to use. However, as Mustard is high on calories, the quantity consumed should be limited, especially for weight conscious people.
2. Fig Poultice
- Take 4 to 5 fresh ripe figs
- Was the figs and crush them
- Boil 50 ml of water and add the crushed figs
- Remove from flame and allow to cool
- Make a thick paste and apply topically on the throat
- Continue the process daily for 2 to 3 days
Fig (Ficus carica) is an amazing fruit that is loaded with goodness because of its medicinal properties. Apart from being an excellent antioxidant, the fruit is loaded with phyto-chemicals, phenolics, anthocyanins, fructose, glucose, and sucrose. Applying fig paste on the throat topically helps kill the bacteria causing the infection and helps reduce the swelling and also gives relief from the pain. Fig is one of the best home remedies for Tonsillitis.
Figs do not cause any adverse side effects and are safe to consume. It may not be advisable for diabetics to consume large quantities of fig as it contains sucrose, fructose, and glucose that could alter the blood sugar levels.
1. Chamomile Tea
- Take two teaspoons of dried Chamomile flower
- Boil a glass of water in a small bowl
- Add the Chamomile flower and allow it to steep for 3 to 5 minutes
- Strain and add a teaspoon of pure honey
- Drink this tea two to three times daily for a week to 10 days
Chamomile tea has loads of goodness as it has some excellent antioxidant properties and is also great for flushing the toxins from the body. It is an effective antiseptic agent that acts as a natural disinfectant and helps cure infections and prevents further attacks by bacteria. Chamomile is one of the best home remedies for Tonsillitis.
Chamomile tea does not cause any adverse side effects. However, people who are allergic to dandelions, arnica, sunflowers, and chrysanthemums that belong to the Asteraceae family may be allergic to Chamomile as well.
See a doctor immediately if:
- There is difficulty in swallowing or breathing
- There is high fever that does not subside with medication
- The swelling in the lymph nodes is severe and very painful