Mumps, also known as Parotitis is a viral, infectious disease that can strike adults and children, though it is more common in children below the age of 15. The disease manifests as enlargement of the gonads, the parotid gland (salivary glands) and may also affect other organs of the body like the pancreas and meninges that envelop the brain and spinal cord.
The infection leads to a swelling of the parotid gland, which is located right under the jaw, just in front of the ears. The pain starts under one of the ears, and the patient will also experience stiffness of the neck. There are several effective home remedies for mumps.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Infection caused by the Mumps virus, it spreads through respiratory secretions of an affected person.
- Symptoms: Headaches, body aches, loss of appetite, fatigue, mild fever, swelling of salivary glands.
10 Home Remedies For Mumps In Adults & Kids
Mumps affect children under the age of 15; however, it can affect adults as well. There are several home remedies for Mumps. The list of ten remedies is divided into two sections, with five remedies for adults and five for kids.
Best Home Remedies For Mumps In Adults
10. Fenugreek Seeds
- Soak 2 teaspoons of Fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Grind the soaked Fenugreek seeds to a fine paste.
- Mix the Fenugreek paste in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this mixture once daily for a week.
- The Fenugreek paste may also be applied to the affected areas.
Fenugreek seeds have amazing medicinal properties and have been used as medicine for treating various illnesses. They have excellent anti-inflammatory properties and help reduce the inflammation caused by Mumps. Fenugreek seeds also possess great antiviral properties that help contain the infection and hasten the healing process. Fenugreek seeds make one of the best home remedies for Mumps.
Fenugreek seeds do not cause any adverse side effects and are safe to use for adults and kids alike. However, excess consumption of this remedy can cause flatulence.
9. Mullein Leaves
- Boil 2 teaspoons of dried Mullein leaf powder with 2 glasses of water in a bowl. Allow it to steep for 10 minutes. Strain and drink a little of the mixture.
- Dip a clean muslin cloth in the remaining mixture.
- Place the cloth on the affected portions (swollen areas). Continue this process for a week.
Mullein (Verbascum spp), also known as Punchon, Gordolobo, Wild Ice Leaf, Our Lady’s Flannel or Hag’s Taper is a medicinal herb that is native to Asia and Europe, though it is widely found in North America as well. It has been recommended for treating a host of illnesses, and even the root of this plant is loaded with medicinal benefits. While it is effective in treating respiratory disorders, its efficacy in treating the lymphatic system is well known and it helps reduce the inflammation caused by Mumps. Mullein is one of the best home remedies for Mumps in adults.
While Mullein does not cause any major side effect when consumed internally, the fuzzy hairs found on the leaf may cause skin irritation if it comes in contact with the skin.
8. Banyan Tree Leaves
- Wash 2 or 3 big Banyan Tree Leaves. Dab a blob of butter on a Banyan Tree leaf.
- Heat the leaf gently and apply on the affected areas. Let the leaf sit for an hour or so.
- Continue the process 2-3 times daily for a week.
Banyan trees have been accorded a divine status by traditional Hindu families as it is believed to have divine origins and has several beneficial properties. While the leaves of the Banyan tree are known to produce more oxygen than those of any other tree, they are also used for treating illnesses for their medicinal value. Applying Banyan tree leaf dabbed with butter on the affected areas is probably the best natural Mumps treatment.
Banyan tree leaves do not cause any known side effects and are safe to use.
7. Indian Lilac & Turmeric
- Take a bunch of Indian Lilac leaves. Sprinkle some water and grind them to a fine paste.
- Add a teaspoon of Turmeric powder and mix well. Apply this paste on the affected areas. Allow it to sit for 30 to 45 minutes. Repeat the process twice daily for a week
Indian Lilac, also known as Neem is one of the best medicinal trees, the leaves of which have amazing curative properties. The Neem leaves have antimicrobial properties apart from being excellent antibacterial agents. Turmeric, on the other hand, has great anti-inflammatory properties and is a good antibacterial and antifungal agent that helps contain the infection and also hastens the healing process. Indian Lilac and Turmeric together make one of the best home remedies for Mumps in adults.
Indian Lilac does not cause any side effects and is quite safe to use. Similarly, Turmeric does not cause any side effects and has been recommended for treating various afflictions.
6. Asparagus Seeds & Fenugreek Seeds
- Mix 2 to 3 teaspoons of Asparagus seed powder & 2 to 3 teaspoons of Fenugreek seed powder with some water to a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas. Let it sit for an hour or so. Repeat the process twice daily for a week or so
Asparagus is a herb that has been used for its medicinal properties for treating various diseases. It has been used in folk medicine and other traditional forms of medicine for curing ailments. Asparagus is packed with nutrients and minerals, making it a great anti-inflammatory agent and an excellent antioxidant as well. It also has antimicrobial properties that help cure the infection caused by Mumps and helps in hastening the healing process. Fenugreek seeds too have great curative properties, and together Asparagus and Fenugreek make one of the best home remedies for Mumps.
While Asparagus does not cause any major side effects when used in moderate quantities, it may cause allergic reactions when consumed orally or applied to the skin if the person has sensitive skin.
Best Home Remedies For Mumps In Kids
5. Aloe Vera Juice or Poultice
- Cut a thick leaf of Aloe Vera. Remove the thorny spikes on either side.
- Collect the gel. Apply the gel on the affected areas. Let it sit for a couple of hours.
- Alternatively, make juice out of the gel.
- Drink half a glass daily for a week or so.
Aloe Vera is one of the most useful medicinal herbs and is used to treat a plethora of inflictions. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent and has great antibacterial properties as well. It is also taken orally for boosting the immune system and giving the body the much needed strength to ward off illnesses. Applying Aloe Vera gel on the affected areas has a soothing effect and helps get relief. Aloe Vera also has antiseptic qualities that help with the healing process. Aloe Vera is one of the best home remedies for Mumps in kids.
Aloe Vera does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to use on kids.
4. Fig Leaves
- Wash 1-2 large Fig leaves. Wipe the leaves dry.
- Apply clarified butter (ghee) on a leaf. Heat the leaf gently and apply on the affected area.
- Hold the leaf in position for 30 minutes. Repeat the process twice daily for a week.
Fig leaves are considered sacred by Indians and have been used to treat various skin afflictions. The fruit and leaf have been recommended as medicine in folk medicine and in the Ayurvedic system of medicine as well for treating several maladies. The Fig leaf is rich in antiviral properties and has the power to destroy the virus that causes Mumps. Moreover, the Fig leaf has amazing anti-inflammatory properties that help contain the inflammation caused by Mumps in kids. Fig leaves make one of the best home remedies for Mumps in kids.
Fig leaves do not cause any known side effects and are safe to use on kids.
3. Chebulic Myrobalan
- Take two to three fruits of Chebulic Myrobalan
- Dry them in the sun for five to six hours
- Sprinkle some water and grind the fruits into a fine paste
- Apply this paste on the affected areas (neck and throat)
- Repeat the process two to three times daily for a week
Chebulic Myrobalan, also known as Terminalia Chebula is native to South Asia and is found abundantly in India and Nepal. It is used extensively in the Ayurvedic system of medicine for curing various skin afflictions. This fruit is rich in glycosides like the triterpenes arjunglucoside, arjungenin and chebulosides. Apart from this, these fruits contain phenolic compounds like ellagic acid, chebulinic acid, gallic acid and ethyl gallate. Chebulic Myrobalan is one of the best home remedies for Mumps.
While Chebulic Myrobalan does not cause any adverse side effects it is not recommended for pregnant women and diabetics as it can reduce blood sugar levels.
2. Dried Ginger Powder
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of dried Ginger powder. Sprinkle some water and make a thick paste.
- Apply this dried ginger paste on the affected areas. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Wash gently with cold water and dab dry. Repeat the process twice daily for a week
Ginger is a natural antiseptic agent and also has amazing anti-inflammatory properties. The medicinal qualities of ginger have been described in ancient Ayurvedic texts and it is an important ingredient in many Ayurvedic formulations. This remedy also has strong antiviral properties that help cure the infection and hasten the healing process. Dried ginger powder is one of the best home remedies for Mumps in kids.
While ginger does not cause any adverse side effects it can cause irritation and a burning sensation when applied on a sensitive skin.
1. Banyan Leaves
- Take one large Banyan leaf, wash and wipe dry. Dab half a teaspoon of clarified butter (ghee) on it. Heat the leaf gently and place it on the affected area.
- Heat the leaf gently and place it on the affected area. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Continue the process twice daily for a week or so.
The Banyan tree is considered sacred in the Eastern cultures and has been revered for its medicinal properties. The leaves of the banyan tree have several curative properties and have been used successfully in folk medicine for treating mumps in kids. The leaves are known to help reduce the swelling and ease the pain caused by Mumps. Banyan tree leaf is one of the best home remedies for Mumps in kids.
The Banyan tree leaf is not known to cause any side effects and is safe to use on adults and children alike.
See a doctor immediately if:
- You experience any difficulty in swallowing.
- If there is a high fever that does not subside with medication.
- There is a loss of appetite, and you are unable to eat or drink anything.