Admit it; we all are sensitive to mosquito bites. However, people who are more allergic, find it extremely annoying. It can be even serious at times. A mosquito is very active during dawn & dusk. Therefore, a person might face extreme bites during those hours. A male mosquito feeds only on water and nectar. So, it is the female mosquito, which hunts for blood.
According to WHO, dengue is endemic in more than 128 countries, with about 3.9 billion people at risk.
Male mosquitoes do not harm humans. It is the female! In this article, I am going to explain different things like habitat of mosquitoes, how long do mosquito bites last, mosquito bite symptoms, treatment for mosquito bites, prevention and natural mosquito repellents. See below.
How Long Do Mosquito Bites Last?
So, how long do mosquito bites last? Well, this actually differs from one person to the other. The itching can be around for 24-hours. However, sometimes it can also last for 2 to 3 days / 3-5 days. An anti-itch cream can help you lessen the irritation. Use a natural mosquito repellent to prevent yourself from its stings.
What Are The Symptoms Of Mosquito Bites?
As soon as a mosquito bites, the person gets a red or pink bump on the skin. This bump is known as “wheal”. This red or pink bump is white in the middle and are extremely itchy. The bump goes off soon but the itching might be there still for few days.
Symptoms Of A Mosquito Bite Or Mosquito Allergy
Many people do not observe their 1st mosquito bite. It is only after they are been bitten numerous times, they are likely to notice it. While others observe it almost instantly after a mosquito feeds. So, the mosquito bite symptoms include
- A white puffy bump, appearing within few minutes right after the mosquito bite
- Swelling around the bites
- A hard and reddish-brown color bump(s), which is often itchy
- Tiny blisters rather than hard bumps
- Darker spots, which more often look similar to bruises
In adults and kids with immune disorders, a mosquito bite can trigger
- Low fever
- Bigger swelling
- Swelling of lymph nodes
Extreme Reaction To Mosquito Bites
A mosquito allergy is an itchy bump that appears after a mosquito pricks your skin to feed on blood. Most bites from mosquitoes are harmless. However, rarely it can cause
- A big swellin
- Extreme redness
- g on your skin
- Lymphangitis (inflammation in lymph system)
- Anaphylaxis (very rare but if occurs, it can be life threatening – results in throat swelling & wheezing)
The above reactions are most commonly seen in children than adults. So, such extreme mosquito bite allergies are called “Skeeter Syndrome”. Mosquitoes often carry some parasites or viruses and thus, few bites can cause extreme illness. It includes
- Yellow Fever
- Encephalitis (Brain Infection Type)
Prevent Mosquito Bites
- The perfect way to prevent yourself from bites is to use a mosquito repellent (I will be soon listing the best ones)
- Wear long-sleeved shirts, socks & pants so that you are protected from those stings
- Wear light-colored clothing
- Don’t use too much of perfume, as strong scents attract mosquitoes towards you
- Eliminate standing / stagnating water around your home (keep kid’s pool hygienic, unblock rain gutters, empty your unused containers and clean birdbaths)
- Apply insect repellents like CITRONELLA whenever you are outdoors or at campsites
- Repair holes in door screens and window screens (if any)
- Keep vegetation and grass near your house well trimmed
- Don’t be outdoors, especially in evenings
- Try to use natural soaps always
10 Best Natural Mosquito Repellents To Use
According to the study done at Duke University, this chemical damages your brain cells, causing behavioral changes and harmful interactions. Additional research showed that 15% DEET is easily absorbed through one’s skin and gets inside the bloodstream directly.
The deadly effects of chemical — diethyl-meta-toluamide, used in DEET include:
- Genetic mutations
- Reproductive disturbances
- Disorders in central nervous system
Check the 10 best mosquito repellents that are natural:
You can scare those annoying mosquitoes within minutes with catnip. According to the research done in Iowa State University, the kind of essential ingredients found in catnip is 10 times effective than the usual DEET in keeping those mosquitoes away. The best thing – it is 100% natural.
This is a widely known and one of the best natural mosquito repellents. It uses organic oils (without fragrance). You can get them at any health store. It might not be as good as catnip but is still a great option than DEET.
3. Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
Lemon eucalyptus oil is claimed to be one of best mosquito repellents in the market. It is the only thing to be suggested by CDCC (Centers of Disease Control). One of the active ingredients in lemon eucalyptus oil is cineole. It has many insect repellent and antiseptic properties. It is far better than DEET and almost sold at all stores in North America. Even though there are many brands, I suggest you going with Citronella’s Natural Lemon Eucalyptus.
4. Lavender Oil
This essential oil not only has a great smell but also is highly effective in repelling mosquitoes. It is best when diluted with carrier oil such as apricot kernel, coconut oil or sweet almond. If you find pure soy oil, then it can be a great option because it keeps a mosquito at bay.
Eating plenty of garlic has proved to keep mosquitoes away from you. Thus, it serves as a natural mosquito repellent.
6. Jungle Formula Designed For Sensitive Skin
This product offers protection from mosquitoes for a maximum of 6 hours. It is an alcohol-free spray and contains natural jojoba extracts. Therefore, it is very mild when applied on skin.
7. Ultrahon Insect Repellent
This repellent is 100% natural and has been clinically tested at harshest environments. It promises a maximum of 12 hours protection. Moreover, it is sweat & splash resistant. Thus, allowing you to work with any outdoor activity!
8. Neem Oil
According to a recent study done by US Research Council, pure neem oil has been proved more effective over DEET. Different scientists from Indian Malaria Institute India & Journal of American Mosquito Control Assoc confirmed the outcomes.
9. Autan Insect Repellant
Yet another best natural mosquito repellent is this non-greasy and non-sticky formula. It contains some exclusive and active ingredients to repel mosquitoes. There are no chemicals added! It is in a spray form so that you can use it whenever you step out.
10. Consider Planting Some Trees
According to studies, planting right trees and shrubs help in keeping your home 100% mosquito free. Consider planting neem, citronella grass, marigold, tulsi and lemon trees.
Treatment For Mosquito Bites
It is good to prevent yourself from mosquito bites rather suffering from it. However, if you have got few and have recently observed, then here are few ways to treat mosquito bites. If the bite reaction is normal or usual, then
- Wash the infected or mosquito bitten part with soap & warm water
- Apply calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream to relieve itching
- Apple ice cubes or cold compress to relieve its symptoms
25 Tips To Get Rid Of Mosquito Bite Itches Soon!
The itch that occurs after a mosquito bite is due to the saliva injected into your skin. People, who are sensitive often take time to heal. However, for that mosquito bite relief or ease the itch, here are some tricks. Check them out