Admit it; we all are sensitive to mosquito bites. However, people who are more allergic, find it extremely annoying and bit unaware about how long do mosquito bites last. It can be even serious at times. A mosquito is very active during dawn & dusk. Therefore, a person might face extreme bites during those hours. A male mosquito feeds only on water and nectar. So, it is the female mosquito, which hunts for blood.
According to WHO, dengue is endemic in more than 128 countries, with about 3.9 billion people at risk.
Male mosquitoes do not harm humans. It is the female! In this article, I am going to explain different things like habitat of mosquitoes, how long do mosquito bites last, mosquito bite symptoms, treatment for mosquito bites, prevention and natural mosquito repellents. Let’s get into it!
How Long Do Mosquito Bites Last?
So, how long do mosquito bites last? Well, this actually differs from one person to the other. The itching can be around for 24-hours. However, sometimes it can also last for 2 to 3 days / 3-5 days. An anti-itch cream can help you lessen the irritation. Use a natural mosquito repellent to prevent yourself from its stings and quick mosquito bite relief.
What Are The Symptoms Of Mosquito Bites?
As soon as a mosquito bites, the person gets a red or pink bump on the skin. This bump is known as “wheal”. This red or pink bump is white in the middle and are extremely itchy. The bump goes off soon but the itching might be there still for few days.
Symptoms Of A Mosquito Bite Or Mosquito Allergy
Many people do not observe their 1st mosquito bite. It is only after they are been bitten numerous times, examples like When moving into a new house, you are in a new area and mosquito tend to follow new scents and they are likely to notice it. While others observe it almost instantly after a mosquito feeds. So, the mosquito bite symptoms include
- A white puffy bump, appearing within few minutes right after the mosquito bite
- Swelling around the bites
- A hard and reddish-brown color bump(s), which is often itchy
- Tiny blisters rather than hard bumps
- Darker spots, which more often look similar to bruises
In adults and kids with immune disorders, a mosquito bite can trigger
Extreme Reaction To Mosquito Bites
A mosquito allergy is an itchy bump that appears after a mosquito pricks your skin to feed on blood. Most bites from mosquitoes are harmless. However, rarely it can cause
- A big swellin
- Extreme redness
- g on your skin
- Lymphangitis (inflammation in lymph system)
- Anaphylaxis (very rare but if occurs, it can be life threatening – results in throat swelling & wheezing)
The above reactions are most commonly seen in children than adults. So, such extreme mosquito bite allergies are called “Skeeter Syndrome”. Mosquitoes often carry some parasites or viruses and thus, few bites can cause extreme illness. It includes
- Yellow Fever
- Encephalitis (Brain Infection Type)
How To Prevent Mosquito Bites?
Prevention is better than cure, before getting into the question of how to get rid of mosquito bites quickly, here are some simple ways to prevent mosquito bites.
- The perfect way to prevent yourself from bites is to use a mosquito repellent (I will be soon listing the best ones), that will give you quick mosquito bite relief.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts, socks & pants so that you are protected from those stings
- Wear light-colored clothing
- Don’t use too much of perfume, as strong scents attract mosquitoes towards you
- Eliminate standing / stagnating water around your home (keep kid’s pool hygienic, unblock rain gutters, empty your unused containers and clean birdbaths)
- Apply insect repellents like CITRONELLA whenever you are outdoors or at campsites
- Repair holes in door screens and window screens (if any)
- Keep vegetation and grass near your house well trimmed
- Don’t be outdoors, especially in evenings
- Try to use natural soaps always
Essential To Read: 5 Simple Ways To Detox Your Bedroom!
10 Best Natural Mosquito Repellents To Get Rid Of Mosquito Bites Quickly
According to the study done at Duke University, this chemical damages your brain cells, causing behavioral changes and harmful interactions. Additional research showed that 15% DEET is easily absorbed through one’s skin and gets inside the bloodstream directly.
The deadly effects of chemical — diethyl-meta-toluamide, used in DEET include:
- Genetic mutations
- Reproductive disturbances
- Disorders in central nervous system
Check the top 10 natural mosquito repellents To Get Rid of Mosquito Bites Quickly…
You can scare those annoying mosquitoes within minutes with catnip. According to the research done in Iowa State University on how to get rid of mosquito bites,they have found that the kind of essential ingredients found in catnip is 10 times effective than the usual DEET in keeping those mosquitoes away. The best thing – it is 100% natural.
This is a widely known and one of the best natural mosquito repellents. It uses organic oils (without fragrance). You can get them at any health store. It might not be as good as catnip but is still a great option than DEET.
3. Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
Lemon eucalyptus oil is claimed to be one of best mosquito repellents in the market. It is the only thing to be suggested by CDCC (Centers of Disease Control). One of the active ingredients in lemon eucalyptus oil is cineole. It has many insect repellent and antiseptic properties.
It is far better than DEET and almost sold at all stores in North America. Even though there are many brands, I suggest you going with Citronella’s Natural Lemon Eucalyptus.
4. Lavender Oil
This essential oil not only has a great smell but also is highly effective in repelling mosquitoes. It is best when diluted with carrier oil such as apricot kernel, coconut oil or sweet almond. If you find pure soy oil, then it can be a great option because it keeps a mosquito at bay.
5. Garlic Oil
This natural therapeutic oil can solve your mosquito bite issue in a day. All you need to do is to apply 3-4 times on the affected area.
Also, eating plenty of raw garlic has proved to keep mosquitoes away from you. Thus, it serves as a natural mosquito repellent.
6. Jungle Formula Designed For Sensitive Skin
This product offers protection from mosquitoes for a maximum of 6 hours, Which depends on the how long do mosquito bites last. This may differ a bit for each person. It is an alcohol-free spray and contains natural jojoba extracts. Therefore, it is very mild when applied on skin.
7. Ultrathon Insect Repellent
This repellent is 100% natural and has been clinically tested at harshest environments. It promises a maximum of 12 hours protection. Moreover, it is sweat & splash resistant. Thus, allowing you to work with any outdoor activity!
8. Neem Oil
According to a recent study done by US Research Council, pure neem oil has been proved more effective over DEET. Different scientists from Indian Malaria Institute , India & Journal of American Mosquito Control Association confirmed the outcomes.
9. Autan Insect Repellant
Yet another best natural mosquito repellent is this non-greasy and non-sticky formula. It contains some exclusive and active ingredients to repel mosquitoes. There are no chemicals added! It is in a spray form so that you can use it whenever you step out.
10. Consider Planting Some Trees
According to studies, planting right trees and shrubs help in keeping your home 100% mosquito free. Consider planting neem, citronella grass, marigold, tulsi and lemon trees.
25 Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Mosquito Bites Quickly!
The itch that occurs after a mosquito bite is due to the saliva injected into your skin. People, who are sensitive often take time to heal. People still wonder how long do mosquito bites last and how to get rid of mosquito bites quickly as possible. So we collected some of the best natural mosquito bite repellents for relief or ease the mosquito bite itch, here are some tricks. Check them out
- Lessen the risk of severe itching simply by dealing it early. Rub alcohol wipes, water and alcohol onto the infected skin part. Better, use an antiseptic for an instant mosquito bite relief.
- Mix 1-tablespoon baking soda in little water so that it forms a paste. Apply on the infected region
- This is one of the best mosquito bite treatment. All you have to do is soak cotton into apple cider vinegar and keep the cotton onto the infected region for few minutes. This one can stop the pain instantly and get rid of mosquito bites soon.
- A nice soothing hot shower is one of the best ways to treat mosquito bites. Consider adding 2-tablespoons apple cider vinegar, chickweed tea and oatmeal into the bathtub. This relieves burning sensation & alleviates itching.
- Whether water is hot or cold, it is always helpful in treating mosquito bites.
- If you happen to live near sea, then nothing can be a great remedy than dipping yourself in seawater. This naturally heals mosquito bites. However, you can also add some salt into your bathtub and bathe with it.
- Since it is about mosquito bite treatment, it is important for me to write this over here. Just dip a clean cloth in hot water (not boiling). Press this cloth against your mosquito bite. Do this once / twice in a day to avoid further itching & irritation.
- When it comes to cold compress, chilled tea can do wonders on insect or bug bites. You can even use cool tea bags. Place them on the affected region for few minutes.
- Rub some wet Apirin
- Never use aspirin if you are allergic to it. However, if you are not, then rubbing wet aspirin onto the affected skin part can alleviate itch & irritation.
- You might have heard of this tip often in remove scars. However, this works great on mosquito bites as well. It not only eases the irritation but also prevents the skin from getting dark (which is usually seen after the bite). Avoid gel based or flavored or colored toothpaste. Use only white ones. Apply on the bitten part and leave it overnight. Wash with soap & water the next morning.
- Apply some mouthwash onto the infected region
- Essential oils have always been helpful in treating bug bites. Tea tree oil naturally has some ingredients to alleviate itching. Just apply little on the bitten part and leave it for a while.
- Applying lavender oil directly onto the bitten part has proved essential in relieving itch.
- Yet another great treatment for mosquito bites is none other than using tiger balm directly on the affected part. Use only white-colored ones and not those red ones. However, if you have a delicate or sensitive skin, skip this option.
- Take some mud and mix with little water to form a paste. Apply on the affected part and cover it using a bandage so that it stays in place and allow it to dry.
- You will get fresh Aloe Vera gel in stores. However, if find a plant then it is even better. Just cut one of its leaves and rub the oozing gel directly on the part where mosquito has bitten you. This one of the best mosquito bite relief you can try in your home.
- Basil leaves is a great home remedy when it comes to mosquito bites. Just crush few of them and apply directly onto the infected skin part to relieve itching.
- Just slice a potato into few pieces and rub against the infected region. It has antibacterial and healing properties that prevent your skin from itching further.
- Rubbing the inner side of a banana peel has been proven beneficial on mosquito bites.
- Believe it or not, copper makes your skin feel good, especially after it been stung by an insect. Just hold a copper coin or penny over your mosquito bite to better relief.
- Alcohol wipes are greatly helpful in removing the leftovers of mosquito saliva. Consider rubbing against your bites.
- Applying Vicks onto the affected area eases itch & irritation.
- Apply minced garlic or onion directly on the affected skin region. Leave for few minutes and wash off.
- Alternatively, you can make a thin paste using seasoning salt, garlic salt and water (equal proportions). Apply this on your affected area.
- Honey is a natural anti-inflammatory. Hence, it lessens itching and heals slowly.
Treatment For Mosquito Bites
It is good to prevent yourself from mosquito bites rather suffering from it. However, if you have got few and have recently observed, then here are the best mosquito bite relief treatments. If the bite reaction is normal or usual, then
- Wash the infected or mosquito bitten part with soap & warm water
- Apply calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream to relieve itching
- Apple ice cubes or cold compress to relieve its symptoms