Menopause is a natural consequence of growing old for women, and one can’t simply wish it away as a bad dream. While talking about growing old gracefully is fine, the practical discomfort one experiences while going through menopause is a bit tough to cope with. Menopause involves experiencing hot flashes, bouts of sleep apnea, dryness in the vagina, body pain, fatigue, frequent mood swings, and bladder and urinary track related issues. Although there are certain allopathic drugs that give some relief, they come with unwanted side effects. However, there are several easy and effective home remedies for menopause that give great relief.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Production of Estrogen by ovaries is stopped, damage to ovaries, removal of ovaries
- Symptoms: Hot flashes, vaginal dryness, disturbed sleep, mood swings, fatigue etc
10 Best Home Remedies For Menopause
Menopause is a natural phenomenon that middle-aged women need to learn to live with. There are several easy and quick remedies for menopause that give great relief, and here are the 10 best:
10. Black Cohosh
- Boil 2 teaspoons of dried Black Cohosh root powder in a glass of water in a small bowl. Add the Black Cohosh root powder. Steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add a teaspoon of pure honey.
- Drink this tea daily for a month or so.
Black Cohosh (Actaea racemosa) also known as black bugbane, black snakeroot or fairy candle is a medicinal herb that contains glycosides or sugar compounds, isoferulic acids, which are great natural anti-inflammatory agents, phytoestrogens or plant based estrogens and some other substances. Black Cohosh helps reduce the hot flashes experienced during the menopausal stage and also helps in getting a sound sleep. It helps in balancing the hormones in the body and helps women tide over the difficult menopausal period when their periods gradually stop. Black Cohosh is one of the best home remedies for menopause.
While Black Cohosh does not cause any adverse side effects, it may cause liver-related problems if consumed for more than six months. People with liver disorders need to consult their physicians before taking this remedy.
9. Chaste Berry
- Take a half a teaspoon of Chaste Berry Tincture
- Add it to a glass of warm water. Drink this mixture daily. Continue the process for a month or so.
Chaste Berry, also known as Vitex is a natural tonic for women undergoing the difficult menopause stage in their lives. It has been used as folk medicine for ages and is great for the pituitary gland, which is responsible for the secretion of estrogen and maintaining its balance. This amazing herb helps treat all the symptoms associated with menopause and is a blessing for women. Chaste Berry is one of the best home remedies for menopause symptoms.
- Wash and cut 3-4 fresh Drumsticks into lengths of about 4 inches.
- Boil these lengths in a bowl. Eat the boiled Drumstick daily. Continue the process for a month or so.
- You may also make hot soup and drink.
Drumstick (Moringa oleifera) belongs to the genus Moringa of the Moringaceae family. Drumstick contains no cholesterol and is rich in dietary fiber, and is packed with energy. It also contains Vitamins A and C along with Thiamine, Riboflavin, Folate, Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Phosphorus, Selenium and Zinc. It is a natural aphrodisiac and is used for treating liver disorders and for maintaining the balance of estrogen during the crucial menopausal stage. Drumstick is one of the best menopause home remedies.
Drumstick does not cause any adverse side effects and is a natural food that is loaded with goodness.
7. Vegetables Rich in Vitamin C
- Take a fresh Broccoli and cut into thin slices. Take a fresh beetroot, wash, peel and slice.
- Take a few leaves of fresh Parsley. Take a fresh apricot and slice.
- Mix all above to make a fresh, delicious salad. Eat a plate of this salad daily.
- Continue this process for as long as required.
Fresh, green, leafy vegetables like Broccoli, Parsley and other Vitamin-rich vegetables like beetroot and fruits like apricot are rich in Vitamin C and a few other minerals that help in boosting the immune system. Vitamin C helps in maintaining the hormonal balance in the body and helps tide over the difficult menopausal period. Vegetables rich in Vitamin C make one of the best home remedies for menopause hot flashes.
Salads made from green leafy vegetables like Broccoli, Parsley, and beetroots do not cause any side effects and are safe and loaded with goodness.
6. Carrot Seeds & Cow’s Milk
- Take a handful of carrot seeds. Boil a glass of cow’s milk in a small bowl.
- Add the carrot seeds and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the milk while it is hot. Continue the process for a couple of weeks.
Carrot seeds are known to possess some amazing medicinal properties. They are natural anthelmintic, carminative, contraceptive, and an effective diuretic. Moreover, carrot seeds are also natural antioxidants and have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties as well, apart from being a depurative and natural stimulant. Carrot seeds make one of the best home remedies for menopause mood swings.
Carrot seeds do not cause any significant side effect; however, they can cause allergic reactions with some women and are not recommended for lactating mothers. They can also cause flatulence when consumed in large quantities.
5. Beetroot Juice
- Take two to three fresh beetroots. Wash, peel, and cut into small cubes. Put the cubes in a food processor and juice them. Drink this juice daily
- Continue the process for a couple of weeks
Beetroots are one of the best natural foods that are loaded with phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, zinc, calcium, iodine, sulfur, copper, Vitamins B1, B2 and B6 and P. It also contains niacin in liberal quantities. Beetroot juice helps combat anemia and increases the blood platelet count and red blood cell count, thus boosting the immunity power. Beetroot juice is one of the best home remedies for menopause.
Beetroot juice does not cause any adverse side effects and is safe to use. However, chronic diabetics need to consult their physicians before taking this remedy as beetroot juice can increase the blood sugar levels.
4. Indian Spikenard Leaves
- Take a few fresh leaves of the Indian Spikenard. Wash and crush the leaves to extract the juice. Mix the juice in a glass of warm water.
- Add a teaspoon of pure honey. Drink this juice daily for a couple of weeks.
- Alternatively, you may use the oil of Indian Spikenard.
The Indian Spikenard is a medicinal herb that has some amazing properties. It is a natural antifungal agent and an antibacterial agent as well. Moreover, the Indian Spikenard is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent as well and a natural sedative that gives relief and helps get some sound sleep. More importantly, it is an excellent depurative for the uterus and ovaries and it stimulates both to secrete hormones like estrogen and progesterone and help in maintaining the hormonal balance during menopause. Indian Spikenard is one of best home remedies for menopause.
There are no known side effects caused by the Indian Spikenard when used in measured quantities.
- Take a teaspoon of Motherwort extract. Add it to a glass of warm water. Add a teaspoon of pure honey.
- Drink the mixture daily for a couple of weeks.
Motherwort, which is extracted from the organic leaves and flowers of the Leonurus cardiaca herb, is an excellent natural remedy for the night sweats caused during the menopausal stage for most women. It helps beat insomnia that forces such women to toss around losing precious sleep. It does away with the need to change your clothes in the middle of the night due to night sweats. Motherwort extract is one of the best home remedies for menopause symptoms.
While Motherwort does not cause any major side effects, it may cause some discomfort like diarrhea, burning sensation in the stomach, drowsiness and uterine bleeding in some people.
2. Clary Sage
- Take a 10 to 12 drops of Clary Sage Essential oil
- Mix the Clary Sage oil in a glass of warm water.
- Add a teaspoon of pure honey. Drink this mixture daily for a couple of weeks.
Clary Sage essential oil is extracted from the Clary Sage (Salvia Sclarea) plant and is an excellent antidepressant that helps manage the mood swings women experience during menopause stage. It is also an excellent anticonvulsant and an antispasmodic. Moreover, it has some great antiseptic properties and is a natural astringent and aphrodisiac as well. Clary Sage is one of the best home remedies for menopause.
While Clary Sage does not cause any adverse side effect, the chloral hydrate content in it causes drowsiness.
1. Yarrow Flowering Top Extract
- Take a few drops of undiluted Yarrow Flowering top extract.
- Mix it in a glass of warm water. Add a teaspoon of pure honey. Drink the mixture daily for a couple of weeks.
Yarrow flowering top extract is made from Achillea millefolium plant and is an excellent cure for the night sweats and hot flashes that most women experience during the critical menopausal stage of their lives. It is a tincture that can be mixed with warm water or the dried flower can be used to make tea as well. Yarrow flowering top extract is one of the best home remedies for menopause.
While Yarrow flowering top extract does not cause any serious side effects, it does cause drowsiness and makes the person feel sleepy. It also increases the urge to urinate frequently.
See a doctor immediately if:
- The menstrual periods are heavy or irregular.
- Bleeding occurs in between periods.
- Sudden occurrence of bleeding after periods have stopped for a few months.