6. Mustard Seeds
If you are suffering from an acute sinus infection, mustard oil can be highly helpful. It naturally has some chemicals that help in getting rid of sinusitis symptoms and enhance healing. When the leaves are crushed and chewed, they emit two important compounds called isothiocyanates and glucosinolate, which are known to give the oil a pungent and warm characteristic. Traditionally used as a natural mucolytic, mustard seeds can help break up the mucus and enhance sinus drainage. In fact, these tiny seeds have sufficient amounts of heat to break the mucus that cause congestion. To try a remedy using mustard seeds, follow the instructions given below:
- Step 1: Take one teaspoon of mustard seeds and one glass of water. Also, have a dropper washed and cleaned ready.
- Step 2: Add the mustard seeds to the water in a bowl and boil for fifteen minutes.
- Step 3: Let the mixture become half.
- Step 4: Allow the mixture to become cool.
- Step 5: Strain the water and separate the seeds.
- Step 6: Using a clean cloth, dip into water and squeeze the extra water.
- Step 7: Cover both your nostrils with the cloth and inhale deeply.
How Does This Work?
The remedy may open the blocked nose, and you may get relief from pain. The water contains antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. The main component is allyl isothiocyanate. The plant sterols found are campesterol, sinigrin acids, oleic acids, erucic acids, palmitic acid, sitosterol, and stigmasterol. The vitamins found in mustard seeds are niacin, riboflavin, folates, pyridoxine, and pantothenic acid.
Mustard Seeds Are Not Good, If:
- You are a beginner in this remedy process. You might face irritation in the initial stages.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have diarrhea.
- You are suffering from breathing difficulties.
- You are diabetic. The seeds can lower your sugar levels.
- You have undergone surgery lately or going to have one.
5. Black Cumin Seeds
Scientifically known as Nigella sativa, black cumin seeds are also popularly known as Roman Coriander and Black Caraway. No matter how you call these tiny black seeds, they are loaded with multiple health benefits. Right from regenerating cells and tissues to removing harmful bacteria in the body, they can do something beyond unimaginable. To name a few benefits, they help in the treatment of Type II diabetes, colon cancer, epilepsy, sinus infections, heart attacks, breast cancer, brain disorders, leukemia, oral diseases, and so on. Talking about sinusitis in specific, these seeds can prevent the formation of mucus and cure swelling at the same time. To try a remedy using these black seeds, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Take one teaspoon of cumin seeds and one tablespoon of honey.
- Step 2: Roast the cumin seeds. With the help of mortar and pestle, grind them to a fine powder.
- Step 3: Add the honey to the fine powder and mix well.
- Step 4: Consume the paste twice every day.
How Does This Work?
The seeds contain many volatile oils such as oleic acid, beta-sterol, palmitic acid, stearic acid and the most important oil known as nigellone. These oils can dissolve the mucus in case of sinus infections and give you relief.
Black Cumin Seeds Are Not Good, If:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding a baby.
- You are prescribed medicines for blood clotting. The effectiveness might reduce if you consume or follow this process with cumin seeds.
- You already have low blood sugar levels.
- It is vital to stop consumption of cumin seeds at least two weeks before a scheduled surgery.