Yes, you have read it right. Yawning is one of the best home remedies for clogged ears. The action assists the mouth to reduce air pressure in the ear.
- Step 1: Open your mouth gently and slowly and let the action become a yawn.
- Step 2: After a gap of ten seconds, repeat the yawning action.
- Step 3: Continue the procedure for fifteen minutes with the same gap duration.
- Step 4: You can feel a slight pop in the ear.
- Step 5: The muscles, responsible for opening the Eustachian tubes are opened. As explained in the previous paragraph, doing the action slowly will be more effective and less harmful. You will be the best judge to decide the course of speed. A slow opening of the mouth and then elongating into a yawn can release the pressure and cause the tubes to open when the ear feels clogged.
How Does This Work?
When you yawn, the air pressure, which is caught in the Eustachian tubes, is released, and you get relief from pain.
Yawning Is Not Good, If:
- You are experiencing severe pain.
- You are getting a discharge from the ear. Consult an ENT expert.
4. Gargle With Salt Water
This remedy can help in both ways. The ears will be unclogged, and you can get relief from nasal congestion.
- Step 1: Take one teaspoon of salt and a small glass containing warm water.
- Step 2: Mix until they become a solution.
- Step 3: This solution can be used for gargling.
- Step 4: Continue the procedure for nearly thirty seconds.
- Step 5: Now spit the liquid out.
- Step 6: Continue the procedure giving a gap of twenty seconds after each gargle for six times.
How Does This Work?
The swishing of the water in the mouth can lead to a reduction in ear pressure, and the canals will be opened.
3. Tea Tree Oil Inhalation
This oil has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties.
- Step 1: Take two cups of water in a bowl.
- Step 2: Bring them to a boil.
- Step 3: You can add three drops of tea tree oil to the mixture.
How Does This Work?
As you stir the mixture and inhale the contents, the medical components called as terpenoids assist in the opening of the tubes, and you get relief. Also, this oil also has antiseptic properties. However, as per the guidance by naturopathy doctors, the oil should always be diluted and used as recommended in the bottle.
The anti-inflammatory property of this oil brings about a reduction in pain as well as irritation. The major medicinal component is terpinen-4-ol, which has antimicrobial properties. The slow inhalation of deep breaths can bring about change and relief.
Inhaling Tea Tree Oil Is Not Good, If:
- You use this oil as it is. It can lead to side effects such as discomfort, irritation, swelling of the skin. The required content is equal to or less than three percent of tea tree oil.
- You face dizziness. Stop inhaling the vapor.
- You are allergic to any of the components in tea tree oil.
- You have children at home. Ingestion of tea tree oil can result in rashes, dizziness and might prove fatal (coma).
- You are pregnant. Refrain from using this method.
2. Garlic Oil
One of the best remedies for plugged ears is straight from the kitchen – Garlic. In fact, it can be mentioned, as the best ear drops for blocked ears.
- Step 1: Take three cloves of garlic and olive oil (two tablespoons).
- Step 2: Mash the garlic cloves.
- Step 3: Add few drops of olive oil.
- Step 4: Heat the mixture together in a saucepan for at least ten seconds.
- Step 5: Let the mixture cool to normal temperature.
- Step 6: Put the oil in the ear and let it remain for one minute (three drops).
- Step 7: Drain the oil out by tilting the ear.
How Does This Work?
Garlic contains a medicinal component named allicin, which has many beneficial properties such as antibacterial etc. In the case of ear infection, the microbes are killed.
1. Follow The Dynamic Laws of Physics
Consider Mother Nature’s dynamic laws of physics, if you find that the clogging of ears is due to the fluid (water) in the tubes. Here is what you need to do:
- Step 1: Stand on one foot.
- Step 2: Tilt your head to the side containing the blockage.
- Step 3: You can either hop (be careful while doing this)
- Step 4: The liquid may be dislodged if caught in the ear canal.
- Step 1: Rest your head on the same side using a soft pillow. The ear having the problem should be kept downward.
- Step 2: Remain in the same position for an hour.
- Step 3: Put a cloth over the pillow to avoid it getting drenched.
Some Actions You Can Avoid:
- You might face irritation few times, but that does not mean you have to clean the wax regularly.
- The device (Q-tips) needs to be used for cleaning of the outer ear ONLY.
- Refrain from using earplugs or any device if you have had an injured eardrum before or any ear injury.
- In case, a foreign article has been stuck in the ear, do not put any earplug on the sensitive organ. You might end up harming more. Consult an ear specialist to solve the problem.
- Previously, if you have had an ear surgery, it is advisable not to ignore small symptoms such as an earache and clogging of ears.
When to See a Doctor?
Going by the majority of cases, clogged ears because of sinus problems are few, and their duration is small. Most of the time, they go away on their own. However, it is mandatory to see a doctor if:
- Your ear problem is related to a sinus issue
- You have a fever.
- Your ear pain is severe.
- You opt for home remedies but have swelling of the ear, face or head. The situation does not seem to get better.
- If you happen to get clogged ears frequently. You have used any of the suggested home remedial procedures; the symptoms have disappeared for a week and similar to the film dialogue in Terminator ‘They are back.’
Natural Remedy Vs. Pharmacy
- You can find eardrops such as Cerumol (containing chlorobutanol, which displays the same properties of antifungal and antibacterial). These drops can soften the wax in the ears and thereby relieve your clogged ear.
- Care Sodium Bicarbonate Ear Drops for clogged ears – As the name suggests, the component is sodium bicarbonate, and the ear is cleaned, and the clogging is relieved.
- Similasan Ear Relief: Homeopathic medicine. You can get relief from clogged ear sensations.
- You can also try Antipyrine-Benzocaine Otic, but it is essential to seek the guidance of a doctor before use. The eardrops will reduce the inflammation and reduce the pain because of clogginess of ears. Also, it contains glycerin, which can soften the earwax, and assists in protecting the skin.
- There are also earwax removal kits such as Debrox.