9. Cinnamon and Cloves
The antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of cinnamon fight cold, and reduce the pain of a sore or dry throat. It boosts your immune system, reduces the discomfort from cold and prevents the virus from occurring again.
Cloves, on the other hand, are highly beneficial for health. Apart from flavoring your dish, clove has a lot of medicinal properties. Since ancient times, they have been used for treating common cold, cough and toothache. Hence, a combo for these two herbal can do a great wonder to your ailment. To try this remedy, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Step 1: Take a tablespoon of cinnamon powder and 2-3 cloves.
- Step 2: Add them to a small pot containing water.
- Step 3: Boil the mixture for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Step 4: Strain the mixture and drink a glass of it when warm.
Note: For better results, you can add honey. You can consume the mixture three times a day for maximum benefits.
How Does This Work?
One of the main constituents of cinnamon is cinnamaldehyde. The chemical components with medicinal properties such as eugenol, methyl chavicol, and cinnamaldehyde eliminate the harmful pathogens causing cold and reduce inflammation.
Cinnamon & Cloves Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- You are a diabetic. Blood sugar levels can become low, and it has to be monitored.
- You have liver disease. Ensure that you take the relevant dose.
- You are using NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug).
- For other interactions & warnings, check this link.
8. Red Onions
Using onions to help the body from cold is not a placebo effect. It cures the body and eliminates the virus causing the cold. Onions contain abundant sources of sulfur (the powerful detoxifying element that assists the body in eliminating toxins and metals such as arsenic, lead, and cadmium). The major medicinal compound is quercitin while the powerful antioxidant is flavonoid, which prevents blood clots, lower cholesterol, and fights against infections like common cold.
Note: Once you slice the onions, do not store the other half for later consumption. Remember, if you slice an onion, it absorbs the bacteria and is unhealthy to eat.
- Step 1: Slice an onion horizontally.
- Step 2: Add some raw honey in-between the sliced onion pieces.
- Step 3: Cover it with a lid and leave it overnight.
- Step 4: When you open the lid in the morning, you will see a thick liquid.
- Step 5: Have a spoon of this syrup many times in a day to get rid of cold.
How Does This Work?
It is an excellent cleansing agent. The organosulfur compounds (thiosulfates, sulfoxides, cysteine sulfoxides) in the onion leave you teary-eyed. It is strong enough to burn the airborne virus and stray odors.
Red Onions Are Not Good, If:
- You are a diabetic. Check your blood sugar levels and discuss with your doctor before trying.
- You are undergoing surgery. It is safe to avoid onions or vapors of onion, as it can increase the risk of bleeding.
- You are pregnant. You can experience symptoms of heartburn. Follow the instructions given by your physician before you use onion in the diet.